Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Civ001
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2012, 12:27 pm

So does anyone here have any sort of speech impedament? I sort of do I have a nasal tone that I never noticed untill I was made fun of in school for it. But when I lisened to my own voice I sound fine to me. How about you?

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2012, 1:03 am

Well no. But I can assure you that speech impediments of different types are very common.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 1:14 am

I also have speech problems!

- I started talking late (3 1/2 first sentence, 4 years second sentence).
- I was very dyslexic as a child.
- As a child I couldn't differentiate between "b" and "p", "d" and "t" and so on. (You could hear that when I was talking)
- I don't have a huge vocabulary and have trouble understanding difficult sentencess

But strange enough, I don't have trouble learning languages when I learn them by hearing.
I fact I can read several different languages and speak some different ones.
But there I have pretty much the same problems like in my own language.

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2012, 10:16 am

I have speech problems as a child and still as an adult because I tend to stutter at times, struggle to pronounce words and I still have trouble with communicating with other people in conversations.

Blammo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Sep 2012, 11:03 am

I stutter occasionally and have a somewhat nasal tone. When we listen to ourselves speak it sounds fine. I was shocked the first time I heard my own voice recorded. I thought I sounded way cooler!

Your Aspie score: 121 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200 You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Didgeeeee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Oct 2012, 7:37 pm

I've always had a slight stutter. Words beginning with S, F, A and E challenge me. Sometimes, my speech is slow, because I get stuck on a sound. It is not a stutter, but an inability to pronounce a sound. When this happens, people try to complete what I want to say. Arrrrgh!

Apparently, I sometimes have a slight French accent. How? I don't speak that language.

I also started talking late. My first sentence came out of my mouth at 3.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 7:58 pm

I also had speech delays--I had a 10-15 word vocabulary when I was 2 1/2, and some (or most) of that was words I only had said once or twice. I got into speech therapy, and that helped a lot. I asked my first question when I was 3 1/2, at my grandfathers viewing ("What do, Grandpa?"--in other words, "What are you doing asleep in this bed? Get up!").

Part of that was due to the expressive language delays related to my autism. Part of that was my CP.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

06 Oct 2012, 8:10 pm

I did not speak until I was age 3/4. Other than that, I speak normally; however, I do use a big vocabulary.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

g2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2012, 7:53 pm

I was hyperverbal at a young age. I did have a small problem with going back a phrase in my speech and revising it, which is now all but gone, and only comes out when I am extremely stressed.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 8:14 pm

I do. I tend to talk to fast and then stumble over my words. I have a monotone voice and a bit of a lisp. I have a hard time listening to myself on tape.

Mike_GX1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2012, 3:07 pm

I have always had a stammer so if anyone needs any tips on this then please feel free to ask me either in the forum or via pm.

Thanks
Mike

hamquartet
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Oct 2012, 11:47 pm

As far as I know, I never had a speech delay. I actually heard I was really loud instead. But I do remember my dad taking my to a speech therapist because he thought I had a speech empediment. They said I talked too fast, now I talk too slow appearently :P
Also, now actual speech problems are starting to come out. The most common is random letters in random words getting exaggerated or having weird accents throw onto them. Then when there's too much excitement the two really bad ones come out. Some little words get flipped around to where the sentence is almost backwards. Then suffixes get screwed up almost all the time
I'm honestly really surprised that I'm passing the verbal protion of spanish

Mike_GX1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2012, 1:32 am

My stammer seems to come on when the social atmosphere gets tense. I couldn't fathom this when I was younger because I didn't have a natural flare socially so I couldn't see it. But the older I got and the more experience I attained in such matters the more I became aware of them.

Being mindful of such can help because I know that I cannot leave things brewing for too long and that something has to give somewhere. And when it does and everyone breathes a sigh of relief my speech gets better and I stammer less.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 5:05 pm

I used to when I was a child.

Now sometimes whenever I speak, I sound like I still do have a speech impediment or am about to panic as soon as I finish talking.

Mike_GX1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2012, 12:27 pm

Civ001 wrote:
So does anyone here have any sort of speech impedament? I sort of do I have a nasal tone that I never noticed untill I was made fun of in school for it. But when I lisened to my own voice I sound fine to me. How about you?

I used to have very problematic issues with words beginning with vowels (a, e, i, o & u) and would avoid them at all costs. I then had difficulties with w's too which can pose problems with asking questions at school, etc. I had difficulties with other letters too such as with: h, s, b, d...in fact I have had a problem with almost every letter at some point. Particular frustrations are words beginning with h such as hello and g such as goodbye.

Not always being able to verbally express myself appropriately at times such as saying 'goodbye' racks me up with so much grief you wouldn't believe. Some times goodbye's are quick and yet I come to say goodbye and I block and cannot say it....I then come over as uncaring. Equally someone says hello in the street and I block and by the time I've said hello back I'm out of hearing range of that person and it's as if I didn't say hello or ignored them. Then next time I see them they don't bother saying hello. It is so frustrating when it happens and sadly that frustration/anger/rage is turned inwards and I stammer even more then.

I notice it seems to come on when there is particular boisterousness in the room such as when things start heating up in arguments or when negotiating and things are getting edgy. I suppose an edginess exists in a room when people are swapping social pleasantries and suddenly my stammer creates a kind of negativity and resentment as people don't understand why I haven't reciprocated quite as they expected. This creates tension where there shouldn't be any and can lead to particular conflicts further down the line and again that frustration/anger/rage is turned inwards.

I don't stammer all the time and can in fact read entire books without stammering at all.