Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2012, 1:02 pm

When you're trying to focus on something and images or random thoughts flood your head so you find it hard to find a solution to what you're doing?

Is this an autistic trait? What is it?

KaminariNoKage
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Sep 2012, 1:29 pm

I think it is ADD - usually goes with Autism. Happens to me all the time. I recommend caffeine (coffee, soft drink, etc.) which might help to put a rein on things. But will not actually make them go away.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 7:13 pm

NateRiver wrote:
When you're trying to focus on something and images or random thoughts flood your head so you find it hard to find a solution to what you're doing?

not an autistic trait by itself

Paiz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2012, 3:33 pm

I feel that way. Like when someone is talking to me, my head is full of thoughts and random images from video games or movies- sometimes songs, sometimes past conversations, or conversations I might have in the future. I also look around a lot, can't always focus my eyes on the person. :?

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2012, 6:06 am

NateRiver wrote:

I am not on the AS, I have bipolar. I tend to ruminate over negative past events during severe depression so much so that I can't focus on the present at all. Even though the episodes are under control now I still have trouble thinking of the date or doing mental arithmetic which I used to be quite good at.

genly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2012, 6:29 pm

Of course I feel like I have thousand different thoughts in my head.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 11:01 am

I do. Usually it's in he form of not being able to switch to another subject because the previous one is still lingering in my head (or the random thought happens to be something to do with a special interest). That, and I'm sure some of it has to do with procrastination. Not sure if it's the same thing that you experience.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2012, 2:03 pm

It could also be associated with a manic episode if you're bipolar.

Bio_Info_Seeker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2012, 1:37 pm

KaminariNoKage wrote:
I think it is ADD - usually goes with Autism. Happens to me all the time. I recommend caffeine (coffee, soft drink, etc.) which might help to put a rein on things. But will not actually make them go away.

Does this work? My first thought would be that a stimulant like caffeine should decrease the focus and increase the flood of thoughts and images if you have bipolar disorder or ADD.

My way to treat this problem would be to use sedatives (e.g. benzodiazepines) when I really need to shut down my brain. People usually think this is the opposite way to increase focus, but it works for me for some strange reason.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 9:44 pm

Bio_Info_Seeker wrote:
KaminariNoKage wrote:

Does this work? My first thought would be that a stimulant like caffeine should decrease the focus and increase the flood of thoughts and images if you have bipolar disorder or ADD.

My way to treat this problem would be to use sedatives (e.g. benzodiazepines) when I really need to shut down my brain. People usually think this is the opposite way to increase focus, but it works for me for some strange reason.

I don't think caffeine helps much with ADD, honestly. You can't ingest enough to work without getting side effects. But, generally, stimulants are supposed to help with ADD. They "wake up" the part of the brain that simply won't focus.