Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Leola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Dec 2012, 11:23 am

Here's a video about tics and compulsions.

I showed this to my husband and he laughed, saying: "These are videos by people with OCD, for people with OCD." I see his point -- the video is about a very specific topic, is very systematic and methodical, and probably daggone boring to most people.

It seems like it might appeal to some of you with AS and OCD or tics. The point of the video is to explore the fine line that separates tics and conpulsions, and what that line consists of. I wish it discussed self-stimulating behavior, but I don't think the lady in this video is autistic (although I wouldn't be surprised if she had AS.)

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 3:55 pm

I've seen this video befor and I find it very interesting.

I have a tic disorder, but no OCD, but the combination Tourette and OCD is very common and this explains the connections very well.

UncleBibby
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Dec 2012, 1:35 am

This video is very interesting to me as well. I don't think I ever get the OCD fears, like "this person will die," or "you will get injured," or whatever, I think even my most complicated compulsions are based on sensations, not thoughts. So maybe I don't even have OCD? Very interesting, I think this video is very different from the classical definition of OCD and tics and stuff!

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2012, 3:55 am

@uncle

Perhaps you should read this:
http://www.ocfoundation.org/EO_TS.aspx

To highlight the relevant bit about Tourettic OCD:

Quote:
Distinguishing Features of TOCD

Because it is closely akin to T/TS, symptoms of TOCD, like those of many tics are preceded by prodromal sensations characterized by somatic discomfort, not anxiety. Unlike true OCD, in which cognitions (obsessions) lead to an emotional (affective) state and typically, fear of the content of the obsession, TOCD sufferers report discomforting sensory experiences such as physical discomfort in body parts including hands, eyes, stomach, etc., or a diffuse psychological distress or tension, for example, “in my head” or “in my mind.” These localized or general discomforts in the TOCD sufferer tend to be relieved by varieties of motor responses including “evening things up,” doing things to certain numbers, positioning items, touching and retouching things, doing things symmetrically and so on, typically with the requirement that these actions are performed “just so” or “just right” in order to alleviate the somatic/ psychological discomfort. Unlike reports of subjective experiences associated with classic forms of OCD, individuals describe a relative absence of fear or concerns about catastrophic consequences occurring should the required actions not be performed. Instead there are likely to be concerns that the discomfort might be intolerable or unending if the actions were left undone or done poorly. Some TOCD sufferers may report a vague sense that “something bad might happen” if required actions are not performed but they typically lack the more elaborate obsessional features of the typical OCD sufferer. Also, the required actions do not function in the modulation of anxiety and/or prevention of catastrophic consequences typical of compulsions in OCD. TOCD characteristic symptoms can appear alone or can exist in combination with classic OCD symptoms. Other writers have noted such clusters of symptoms in clinical populations and have variously referred to them as “cognitive tics,” “sensory-based rituals,” “sensory fulfillment,” and “Factor II OCD.”

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Dec 2012, 4:17 am

Where´s the video?

Leola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2012, 1:07 pm

The text at the top, "Here's a video about tics and compulsions" contains the link.

That's interesting about TOCD. Some of my symptoms seem more in line with TOCD than classic OCD. I was also reading an article by Carol Edwards (I think that was her name?) on differentiating between AS and OCD -- the similarities are interesting. I used to suspect I had AS long before my husband indicated I might have OCD -- now I think I might be somewhere in the middle, with some Tourette's symptoms, as well.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jan 2013, 4:10 am

I can´t see it.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 4:52 am

Hopetobe wrote:
I can´t see it.

here :) :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaZf2GzFsqw&list=UUBQ6azeHefYObQQ9zxIhOeQ&index=3[/youtube]

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jan 2013, 5:54 am

Very interesting. But again, the boy mentioned treatment. In my opinion, tics should be treated only when they cause difficulties to the person having them or others.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 10:20 pm

Quote:
But again, the boy mentioned treatment.

Girl, actually.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jan 2013, 6:38 am

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
But again, the boy mentioned treatment.

Girl, actually.

It is a girl? I´m sorry. On the firts sight, she looks like a teenage boy. Even her voice sounds like a voice of one.

Leola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2013, 5:05 pm

I think she's female, but I guess I'm not 100% positive...