Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

03 May 2013, 8:47 am

Not sure. It seems repetitive and habitual--also relaxing--to burn myself with a lighter. I'm not sure if this qualifies as self-harm, or if it's a type of autistic stim.

The thing is, I used to cut but don't really anymore (and haven't for like 4 years). I hate blood. The burning has been going on for about six months, and it almost seems like a stim. What is it?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 8:56 am

It's a type of self-harm.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 9:00 am

self-harm

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2013, 9:09 am

It's both. While it certainly does sound like an Autistic coping mechanism in your case, stimming is only acceptable when it is does not cause any harm to you or others. This is dangerous. Please seek professional help.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 9:53 am

Self Harm.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 11:24 am

Self harm.Please talk to someone about this,you can get an infection and then the scars.
Teenagers around here used to prove how tough they were by putting their arms side by side and placing a lit cig between them,whoever pulled away first was chicken.Sadly these are the people that have big families.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 May 2013, 11:40 am

And it doesn´t hurt you?

Try to replace this by some similar harmless stim.

g2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2013, 1:11 pm

Self harm, definitely. To what extent are the burns? If they get really bad, you will have to get help. You're probably strong enough to stop on your own though. You can try to quit outright. You can also try reducing the extent, frequency, or amount of burns per 'session'. The second sentence is less likely to produce withdrawal-like symptoms. It's your body, and only you can make the decision to stop. If you don't, I will not judge you on it. It is best to find other coping mechanisms though.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

03 May 2013, 2:22 pm

It does hurt, but it's a good hurt. I don't know--relaxing I guess? Also calming. I have dated a few girls who liked to bite really hard and draw blood, and I actually really liked this also. This isn't really self-harm though; it's partner assisted harm. Same concept though.

I've heard people with autism or NLD have poor body sensation, so maybe it's got to do with this?

I have tried to seek professional help but (1) I can't talk about this and (2) due to my personal presentation (either flat affect or affable/good ol' Texas humor) my issues can't be recognized. I get labeled 1 of 3 things: funny smart NT, Autistic, or Schizoid depending on my energy level that day.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 3:25 pm

When I walk thru the woods I usually come out looking like I was in a fight with a couple of house cats,I don't seem to notice it when it happens,but I can't stand a neck massage.It makes no sense to me.I just had a weird mole burned off and the doc kept asking if the pain was getting bad,never did, it wasn't pleasant,but also not that bad.I used to cut some but was more of a head banger when it came to self harm,but I have not done that in nearly a year.
As long as someone doesn't actually take a chunk out,nothing wrong with a love bite.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 6:28 pm

I think I get why you might think it's stim, since it achieves some of the same goals as stimming...ie, stimulating yourself , self soothing yourself . I know it freaks a lot of people out...though it is perfectly except-able to hurt yourself if you become a boxer or wear a football helmet first . I hate that kind of hiprocracy myself . Oh, it's OK to do if someone is paying to watch you hurt yourself but If you just want to calm your mind it's evil ?

Anyway, I use to cut and thought I was the only person who ever did it so felt like even more of a weirdo then usual when I would have to wear long shirts all the time and be careful about exposing myself . I know it's a big predictor of BPD, but I think those of us who are aspie who do it, it is not for attention...(I always hid mine out of shame) .

I'm sure that there are different reasons or triggers for people doing this but mine was always because I was feeling so sad, confused, anxious and beyond control of my feelings . It was usually because of something bad that had happened to make me feel rejected or lonely and I would start crying OR just feel so numb that it felt like I might float out of my body or go crazy if I didn't do something .
The ritual of carrying a razor with me was like a safety hatch if I was afraid of my feelings getting out of control . I did it the most in Highschool when I think I was in such a constant staff of sensory overload being around the noisy masses , and confused by all the social s**t I couldn't understand...that I would actually dissociate and feel myself retreating into my brain life a snail into it's shell . I used to think of it as a spider sitting in my brain looking out at the world , remotely controlling this robot body that was carrying it around

So the cutting was the only thing that I felt made me feel my body again and get back into it enough to keep functioning . (well, that and sex, but we wont go there), another BPD trait that I think is very misunderstood in aspies (probably because statistically, we don't get laid that much ) Anyway, lol, point is that I saw it as a cycle...

I am over stimulated with either emotions, social confusion or sensory problems
I dissociate and become numb to try and balance the over stimulation
I need a self directed method of feeling again so I can function again

At 26, I got sober and decided the cutting had become just another addiction and maladaptive coping technique and tried to learn other ways of accomplishing the same goals with out leaving any more scars . I used the physical pain of exercise, yoga, marathon type biking...ie, socially except-able behaviors that had some health benefits . I had a few relapses after break ups but haven't cut in years, though the thoughts do come up even now .

Therapist or human who try to convince you that this was a horrible thing that you must stop immediately are reactionary . It is an effective coping mechanism for some and serves a need . If you didn't do it when the need became great, you could end up doing something more self destructive...like joining the football team : ) I think it is worth while goal though, to see if you can find a healthier way to get the same need met with less scaring though because mine are still an embarrassment to me ...not because I thin they make me w weirdo but because they remind me how many narrow minded people there are in the world ready to make assumptions about people they don't know .

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 9:24 pm

Quote:
I think I get why you might think it's stim, since it achieves some of the same goals as stimming...ie, stimulating yourself , self soothing yourself . I know it freaks a lot of people out...though it is perfectly except-able to hurt yourself if you become a boxer or wear a football helmet first . I hate that kind of hiprocracy myself . Oh, it's OK to do if someone is paying to watch you hurt yourself but If you just want to calm your mind it's evil ?

Firstly, I think boxing should be banned, and football restricted to non-contact forms. I don't get why we tolerate sports that cause serious lasting injury in a large proportion of players.

Secondly, where do you get the idea that self-harm is evil? Evil is harming others, not harming yourself. It's unhealthy, not evil.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 10:36 pm

Ettina wrote:
Quote:

Firstly, I think boxing should be banned, and football restricted to non-contact forms. I don't get why we tolerate sports that cause serious lasting injury in a large proportion of players.

Secondly, where do you get the idea that self-harm is evil? Evil is harming others, not harming yourself. It's unhealthy, not evil.

You need to read what I wrote more carefully . I didn't say I think it is evil, I was talking about the hypocrisy I see in general society towards people who self harm in these ways .but glorify getting hurt in other ways / Point being that I don't think it's evil and I do think there are better ways to achieve similar effects . Did you even read what I wrote ?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 11:18 am

I didn't think you thought it was evil. I have no idea why you'd think anyone else thinks it's evil.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 7:33 pm

It's self harm. It may act as a stim too, but it's self-harm and it's a sign that things aren't okay. Talking to your doctor may not be of much help, but if you have marks from this, you should really mention it. More and more doctors are becoming familiar with this behaviour (although I've met a few who didn't have a clue.) The main thing is, try to replace this with something that doesn't actually damage your tissue. There are these big clips you can get for chip bags - try clipping one on you finger. It hurts, but it doesn't really do anything.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 2:53 am

krex wrote:
Oh, it's OK to do if someone is paying to watch you hurt yourself but If you just want to calm your mind it's evil ?

Ettina wrote:

krex wrote:
I didn't say I think it is evil, I was talking about the hypocrisy I see in general society towards people who self harm in these ways

Ettina wrote:
I didn't think you thought it was evil. I have no idea why you'd think anyone else thinks it's evil.

:? 8O :scratch: :huh: :shrug: :hmph: :tired: :help: :duh: :chin: :?: