Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 6:32 pm

I am diagnosed schizoaffective, and indeed I have mood disturbances with psychosis. But I see AS traits in myself, and sometimes other people see them. But having recently met a couple of people with autism spectrum disorders there are the similarities and there are the differences.

It just bothers me, am I some sort of PDD-NOS, with strong special interest, medium social skills and pretty mild to normal for other aspects, or is it the mental illness...

Why do I fret over this so much...

It seems like my fretting will never end, lol.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 6:38 pm

The two aren't that similar. I have a good friend who is schizoaffective and she definitely isn't on the autism spectrum.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

bubblygrl7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Nov 2010, 6:48 pm

People with AS have a higher likelihood to develop co-morbid disorders like schizoaffective disorder. I suggest you talk to a psychiatrist, if you know anyone who sees a psychiatrist you should ask them to suggest you one.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 7:28 pm

bubblygrl7 wrote:
People with AS have a higher likelihood to develop co-morbid disorders like schizoaffective disorder. I suggest you talk to a psychiatrist, if you know anyone who sees a psychiatrist you should ask them to suggest you one.

I've only had one therapist that thought I had AS, psychiatrist don't think I do, and I do see one.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

bubblygrl7

07 Nov 2010, 9:14 pm

Schizoaffective disorder can cause paranoia to the point of hypochondria, and if you haven't experienced symptoms of AS before you developed it, it's possible it's just the illness.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 4:01 am

I was diagnosed schizo affective bipolar after the autism diagnoses, so it's obvious the two conditions can coexist.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 11:37 am

I developed my current illness as an adult, but as a child I was severely emotionally impaired, I had something, but they don't know what.

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2010, 1:25 pm

I am actually a big hypochondriac.

bubblygrl7

08 Nov 2010, 4:28 pm

Wikipedia wrote:
Schizoid personality disorder (SPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of interest in social relationships, a tendency towards a solitary lifestyle, secretiveness, and emotional coldness.[1] There is increased prevalence of the disorder in families with schizophrenia. SPD is not the same as schizophrenia, although they share some similar characteristics such as detachment or blunted affect.

You could have had this as a child, seeing as people in families with a prevalence of schizophrenia (which is similar to schizoaffective disorder) are more likely to develop it.

I definitely know, I had schizoid's as a child, I have AS, and I developed schizoaffective disorder later on. ^-^

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2010, 5:17 pm

I also am one of these people who seem to fit both diagnoses, AS and schizoaffective. I perseverate on special interests, have severe sound/ touch/ taste sensitivities, social awkwardness, stimming. However I also have delusional thinking, paranoia, poor reality testing, and perceptual impairment (not to the point of hallucination, but sort of semi-hallucination if that makes any sense).

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 5:27 pm

I have a schizo-affective ex-girlfriend. She sometimes tried to say that she thought she was an aspie and I more or less dismissed it as no you've got a low IQ and you have no learning disorder to blame for it how could you possibly be an aspie? Sometimes now that I've realized that aspies aren't all geniuses I wonder if she is one of us or more rather just an aspie since I think I'm better than aspergers.

bubblygrl7

08 Nov 2010, 7:29 pm

I can relate to the semi-hallucination ^-^

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 10:32 am

Pistonhead, how do you know your girlfriend doesn't have a learning disorder? I didn't know I had dyscalculia until I was nineteen... up until then I thought I was just "thick" when it came to maths.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 9:34 pm

She's seen plenty of psychs and managed to get decent grades throughout school. If she had something, she'd know it.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 8:23 am

If she got decent grades, then she's not "thick"... perhaps she's just got average intelligence, and from where you're standing it looks like stupidity? That does happen.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 7:23 pm

She has 82 IQ, that's not average intelligence.