Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

sterretje
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2013, 12:19 pm

I've heard that there is a connection between eating disorders (like anorexia nervosa) and autism. I have had anorexia for several years and later I was also diagnosed with autism.
Now I realize that when things change in my surrounding, the anorexia is getting stronger. For the last couple of months a lot of things changed. Can't handle that very well, which is part of my autism. As a result, I try to find control..And the thing I can control is my weight. I really don't wanna go back to the time food and weight was the most important thing in my life. However, I just don't know what to do when all these things change and I feel like I have no control.

I was wondering if there are more people over here with an eating disorder and autism , and how they deal with it. What kind of treatment is required?
I talk with a social worker who is specialized in autism, and I talk with a social worker who is specialized in eating disorders.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 2:39 pm

I've seen Autism in its various forms "linked" to:

• Absentee Fathers
  • Agnosticism
  • Alcoholism
  • Allergies
  • Anorexia
  • Asexuality
  • Atheism
  • Bestiality
  • Bulimia
  • Bullying
  • Chicken Pox
  • Color-Blindness
  • Creativity
  • Deism
  • Eczema
  • Epigenetics
  • Fecophilia
  • Genetics
  • Gluten
  • Halitosis
  • Homosexuality
  • Human Immunodeficiency Virus
  • Human Papiloma Virus
  • Hypersexuality
  • Immunizations / Inoculations
  • Kleptomania
  • Latent Neanderthalism
  • Lupus
  • Masochism
  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Obesity
  • Pansexuality
  • Parallel Evolution
  • Pedophilia
  • Phobias
  • Poor Parenting
  • Prograde Evolution
  • Psoriasis
  • Psychic Abilities
  • Refrigerator Mothers
  • Retrograde Evolution
  • Sadism
  • Savantism
  • Schizophrenia
  • Sexual Abuse / Assault
  • Sociopathy
  • Theism
  • Tone-Deafness
  • Transexuality
  • Veganism / Vegetarianism
... and a host of other unrelated environmental and societal conditions.

Just because "a lot" of autistic people may exhibit one or more of these other characteristics or behavior traits, that does not mean that autism in any form necessarily causes / is caused by / is comorbid with any of these other conditions or behavior traits in every single case. These so-called "links" (if they exist) need more in-depth study, and a lot of professional research and review. What is not needed are more assumptions by non-professionals, such as when an untrained person sees one Aspie stumble over his own feet, and concludes that all people with autism have poor motor skills.

Meanwhile, the list grow longer...

sterretje
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jun 2013, 1:17 pm

I know, and that's true. But my psychiatrist told me 20% of the girls with anorexia nervosa, also have an ASD.
Anyway, I was just wondering what kind of treatment is recommended. :) *(sorry for my bad English btw)

saimand
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2013, 11:20 am

I had so called borderline anorexia nervosa, went to psychiatrist ... it is more often connected with perfection and repetitive behaviours, well any condition connected with anxiety and repetitive behaviours (and that means OCD, Social Communication Disorder (non autistic) and ASD too)... I'm Aspie but I'm so glad I didn't ended up having full blown eating disorder since it is , well tu put it this way it, sucks being 'almost anorexic' but having full blown eating disorder and AS sucks even more... and to be honest... it's easier if one (or in ur case) both therapists deal with both conditions at the same time... you can't switch off one from another condition once u have it... my only two friends also have anorexia (one has bulimia too)...and both have OCD, generalied anxiety and very smart too... perfection seeking individuals usually get it... I was damn lucky for not evolving full blown eating disorder, but I was on the edge... how I got away from it- have no idea, but I ended up in hospital having only 42 kilos...

treatment? I had my regular psych.sessions anf a lots of support from family friends and college professors, a lots of work on my self, anc CBT (cognitive behavioural th)... there are of course more treatments, but the only thing I would'n recommend is psychobanalasys... u don't need that crap trust me...