Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2013, 8:50 am

I find it very difficult to fall asleep. I'm 15 years old and i find that i need 10 hours of sleep to function well during the day. But i never get 10 hours of sleep. I try to go to bed early, for example 9 o clock. But i only rest for an hour and a half and during that time im not even asleep ! I eventually end up falling asleep around 2 am to 3 am and then wake up around 7 am then fall asleep till around 10 am. This has been happening since October this year and its really been affecting me. Im too tired to concentrate or study in class. I even fall asleep in some of my classes , its unbearable ! I'm tired all the time. Whats going on with me ? I also toss and turn a lot in my sleep.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 9:22 am

Somebody once told me that the best time to go to bed is 11pm. It works for me, I usually get a good 8 hours every night.

charlottez
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2013, 12:26 pm

It sounds like onset insomnia. I had this for years, starting in high school. My insomnia stopped when I got off caffeine. It took about 6 months for there to be an effect. A routine is also a good idea. If I stick to a routine, I can maintain the sleep and wake times that I need to be able to function in the working world. If I stray from my routine, my natural cycle seems to be 2am to 10am for sleeping.

Also, since you are female, start tracking your insomnia and when it is worse. There is some research that shows that the late luteal period is associated with female insomnia. The late luteal period is right before your period is due. Hormonal changes cause problems with sleep sometimes. I don't know if this can be manipulated with things like the birth control pill or not. Something to talk about with your doctor.

Another thing to talk with your doctor about would be sleeping pills. I didn't have too much success with them until I quit caffeine.

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2013, 3:42 pm

yes. i have been like this on and of for most of my life. there are a few things you can do to improve your chances of getting a good nights sleep. for me, only having one cup of coffee a day and not after noon, balanced diet and not eating anything after 6pm for a 10pm bedtime helps the most. there are plenty of sleep hygiene articles online and i guess you just have to try some things to see what suits you. but, you should also have your doctor rule out any obvious health problems, e.g. thyroid imbalance, anaemia etc which would also leave you feeling low energy.
good luck and sweet dream :)