Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 8:47 pm

I heard a LOT about these disorders when I was in college.
I had a ton of problems in college learning and completing assignments and such for the first time in my life, and when I would describe my troubles to professors they would say that what I was describing sounded a lot like ADD. I talked with some friends that have ADD and they said it sounded like I had it.

I wasn't really convinced because I thought I could focus just fine, but the one thing that I've noticed is that I find coffee to be very calming and it helps me focus and just generally feel very centered. I looked around on the internet about this and apparently the only time this is really a thing is when people have ADD.

That made me do a double take.
However, up until recently I feel as though I've been able to harness my powers of concentration quite at will, but now I'm kind of at a loss.
And while in college about 5 different professors numerous times mentioned that I might have some kind of ADD/dyslexia combination.
SO, what does ADD look like for you guys? How do you know you have it?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 2:57 am

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
I heard a LOT about these disorders when I was in college.
I had a ton of problems in college learning and completing assignments and such for the first time in my life, and when I would describe my troubles to professors they would say that what I was describing sounded a lot like ADD. I talked with some friends that have ADD and they said it sounded like I had it.

I wasn't really convinced because I thought I could focus just fine, but the one thing that I've noticed is that I find coffee to be very calming and it helps me focus and just generally feel very centered. I looked around on the internet about this and apparently the only time this is really a thing is when people have ADD.

That made me do a double take.
However, up until recently I feel as though I've been able to harness my powers of concentration quite at will, but now I'm kind of at a loss.
And while in college about 5 different professors numerous times mentioned that I might have some kind of ADD/dyslexia combination.
SO, what does ADD look like for you guys? How do you know you have it?

The coffee thing is common with those diagnosed.
You could get formally evaluated.
I've often wondered myself.
Coffee fvcks me up sumthin fierce though.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 11:33 pm

Before I was diagnosed with Aspergers I was diagnosed with inattentive ADD. I think the ADD was a misdiagnosis as Aspergers better explains my symptoms. I have poor attention towards topics that do not interest me but hyper focus for my special interests that far exceed the attention span of an ordinary person. I am often distracted by other stimuli and can only focus on one thing at a time. I think this is pretty much the case for those the autism spectrum. I would assume that those with inattentive ADD would struggle with attention in all topics, not just those that they were not interested in.

I've never had a cup of coffee in my life, but I have tried all the common stimulants used to treat ADD. Sure the stimulants like Adderall helped me focus on everything, but I would pretty much expect that to have the same effect on anybody who takes them. I just couldn't tolerate the side effects so I quit ADD medication altogether.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 7:28 pm

I could written your post Unfortunate_Aspie, or well-enough.

Whenever I bring up that I might have ADHD to anyone they're like 'how were you as a kid?' Wherein I really didn't meey those requirements, I will never be officially diagnosed with AD in part of the world at least.

I was not aware that that effect of coffee was only found in those with ADD.

Poor motivation