Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 10:56 am

No ambition, no drive, lack of goal directed behaviour. Quite happy just to be on my computer surfing the net, with some tv watching . The only thing with a little effort I do is finding articles.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 12:54 pm

When I get very depressed, I become like that.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 6:11 pm

Yeah, that would probably be a negative symptom. The medical term for a lack of motivation in goal directed behavior is avolition. More technically, it is related to a decrease in dopamine in the mesocortical pathway in the brain, all of which is very interesting. :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 7:11 pm

"Autistic Inertia" is a thing... in fact I think I discovered it here, someone else had posted about it. Not sure if this was the link they shared or not, but it's a pretty good description

https://nolongerinabox.wordpress.com/20 ... c-inertia/

I was super relieved to learn about this because I have it big time and never knew what was going on.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 7:26 pm

Thanks for sharing that Milady Esmerelda.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 7:28 pm

:-) and my thanks to whoever it was, here, who first mentioned it. It really helps to know it's in the wiring. I've actually been able to push against it a bit, now that I know more about it.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 7:32 pm

First time I heard about it :oops: . Explains a lot for me, and I will certainly be talking with my counselor about it next week :wtg:

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:23 pm

Felt like that from age 12 to 18. Then 21 til 35 (now) and counting.

Not wanting to do much of anything, a symptom of clinical depression

:mrgreen:

Almost everything seems so superficial, meaningless and stupid

Exhausted a lot

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 1:47 pm

I feel that way during depressive episodes of cyclothymia. I have a hard time getting motivated to do stuff and often don't give my best performance when I feel that way.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 7:38 am

The problem is that almost everything I have done, I failed. If not failed, then still not nearly as good as other people that put the same energy into the activity

:mrgreen:

Some articles claim that the MRI of someone with clinical depression looks similar to the MRI of someone brain damage

:jester:

Once in a while I apply for some jobs

But they are just part time minimum wage jobs

There are not many jobs I qualify for

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 11:34 pm

I am among those who report (on WP and elsewhere) increased lethargy from the atypical antipsychotics. When they work, they really work, but they can sap energy and motivation. Something else to consider.