Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 610
Location: England

31 Dec 2013, 10:13 pm

I think that this is just sleep deprivation but when I become overtired and/or emotioinally exhausted I hear voices. Theyre just memories of things my parents may have said . They fel like random neuronal misfirings that is - as if an auditory memory ius being randomly triggrered in my overworked head.

Ugh I need to sleep my typing has gone to the pits


_________________
http://superstringbean.wordpress.com/ My Repository Of the Arcane the Esoteric and the Sublime
http://sybourgian.wordpress.com/ Neuroprotection, Neurogenesis Strategies for Long Term Cognitive Enhancement


beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,242

31 Dec 2013, 10:23 pm

Are you lying down when this happens?


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 337

01 Jan 2014, 2:36 am

Our auditory systems are quite amazing. You can be sitting in a crowded food court, with hundreds of shoppers talking, chairs squeaking, fridges and airconditioners going - the decibel level quite loud. Then your friend says something to you with food in his mouth, and it comes out all muffled. But your brain can figure out what he has been saying, despite all the noise going on, despite his distorted signal.

All of this constant processing is very tiring. It may just be that you are tired and your brain is making mistakes. This is not the same thing as an auditory hallucination where your brain invents the hallucination from its own memories. There is a fine line here, because the brain has to use its own memories to fill in the gaps of what your friend is saying. But an hallucination is not related to reality and there are different brain pathways involved.



beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,242

01 Jan 2014, 2:37 am

Sarah81 wrote:
Our auditory systems are quite amazing. You can be sitting in a crowded food court, with hundreds of shoppers talking, chairs squeaking, fridges and airconditioners going - the decibel level quite loud. Then your friend says something to you with food in his mouth, and it comes out all muffled. But your brain can figure out what he has been saying, despite all the noise going on, despite his distorted signal.


Not in my case. :oops: I struggle to comprehend anything anyone is saying in such noisy places. I dealt with that a few months ago.


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,592
Location: Europe

01 Jan 2014, 3:22 am

My personal opinion is that it is poosible to hear more hallucinatory voices when tired. You might be interested in this side: http://www.intervoiceonline.org/

beneficii wrote:
Sarah81 wrote:
Our auditory systems are quite amazing. You can be sitting in a crowded food court, with hundreds of shoppers talking, chairs squeaking, fridges and airconditioners going - the decibel level quite loud. Then your friend says something to you with food in his mouth, and it comes out all muffled. But your brain can figure out what he has been saying, despite all the noise going on, despite his distorted signal.


Not in my case. :oops: I struggle to comprehend anything anyone is saying in such noisy places. I dealt with that a few months ago.


Also not really in my case.

Sarah81 wrote:
But an hallucination is not related to reality and there are different brain pathways involved.


I still have the feeling that hallucinations are somehow connected to reality. I especially "see" things in darker places. I can't tell you why, it's just the way it is.


_________________
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen


binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 610
Location: England

01 Jan 2014, 10:41 am

fascinating site! Cheers Raziel. The voices are tiny snatches of conversatoin "Pass the salt love" for example. Theyre not even "real enough" to make me think that theyre coming from the environment. I know that theyre in my head. Im not woried about this being schizophrenia as ive experienced weird seizure like events since I was a child. I'd be at school having had liottle sleep and my face twitch uncontrollably. Sometimes an incredibly clear mental image would accompany said twitch... now its mainly an incredibly clear auditory flash with no "tiwtch".

I think that this may be bizarre even in the wonderful world of WP heh

Apologies for my pooor typing too. Ive made the switch to pc after years on a laptop and im getting used to using a keyboard which isnt directly beneath the screen (my midi keyboard sits between the keybord and flatscreen)


_________________
http://superstringbean.wordpress.com/ My Repository Of the Arcane the Esoteric and the Sublime
http://sybourgian.wordpress.com/ Neuroprotection, Neurogenesis Strategies for Long Term Cognitive Enhancement


beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,242

01 Jan 2014, 11:28 am

binaryodes wrote:
fascinating site! Cheers Raziel. The voices are tiny snatches of conversatoin "Pass the salt love" for example. Theyre not even "real enough" to make me think that theyre coming from the environment. I know that theyre in my head. Im not woried about this being schizophrenia as ive experienced weird seizure like events since I was a child. I'd be at school having had liottle sleep and my face twitch uncontrollably. Sometimes an incredibly clear mental image would accompany said twitch... now its mainly an incredibly clear auditory flash with no "tiwtch".

I think that this may be bizarre even in the wonderful world of WP heh

Apologies for my pooor typing too. Ive made the switch to pc after years on a laptop and im getting used to using a keyboard which isnt directly beneath the screen (my midi keyboard sits between the keybord and flatscreen)


If you're lying down or otherwise resting when it happens, when you are also very tired, it actually isn't bizarre. It would be quite normal. If it happens in those cases, then it would be a case of hypnagogic hallucinations, which are not pathological in nature and by themselves cannot be used to diagnose any disorder.


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 102,764
Location: the island of defective toy santas

01 Jan 2014, 5:58 pm

when I am on the fatigued side I sometimes hear "the music of the spheres" within the static drone of background noise.



Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 643

01 Jan 2014, 8:21 pm

binaryodes wrote:
I think that this may be bizarre even in the wonderful world of WP heh


Nope, I've had that too if I'm dog tired. It's usually the voices of relatives saying something banal before I drift off. I'd say your first guess was right, neural misfirings based on memories. I think it's significant that in both our cases it's family members we're hearing. The exhaustion is also a big clue.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 102,764
Location: the island of defective toy santas

01 Jan 2014, 8:46 pm

both me and my late mother were awoken at the same time by my late father after his death, who shouted "HEY!"



seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,243

01 Jan 2014, 9:24 pm

I've gotten this and it depends on how tired I am. There are stages leading up to it as I go from fully awake to completely asleep. When I'm awake like I am now I direct my thoughts and they make sense and I know they're my own thoughts. I don't hear them and they aren't totally random. As I get tired my thoughts start to direct themselves and they take a life of their own. I still don't hear them and they still seem like my thoughts they're just random and out of my control. They happen on their own. Then if I get super drowsy I go past that stage and not only do they have a life of their own but I start to hear them playing in my head. Suddenly I'm so drowsy and out of it that I can hear my own thoughts playing like a record. They could turn into a conversation between two people but it's hard for me to pay direct attention to the conversation without waking myself up and returning to normal. I have to be too drowsy to pay attention to it in order for it to happen.



seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,243

01 Jan 2014, 9:24 pm

I've gotten this and it depends on how tired I am. There are stages leading up to it as I go from fully awake to completely asleep. When I'm awake like I am now I direct my thoughts and they make sense and I know they're my own thoughts. I don't hear them and they aren't totally random. As I get tired my thoughts start to direct themselves and they take a life of their own. I still don't hear them and they still seem like my thoughts they're just random and out of my control. They happen on their own. Then if I get super drowsy I go past that stage and not only do they have a life of their own but I start to hear them playing in my head. Suddenly I'm so drowsy and out of it that I can hear my own thoughts playing like a record. They could turn into a conversation between two people but it's hard for me to pay direct attention to the conversation without waking myself up and returning to normal. I have to be too drowsy to pay attention to it in order for it to happen.



Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 643

01 Jan 2014, 11:04 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
I've gotten this and it depends on how tired I am. There are stages leading up to it as I go from fully awake to completely asleep. When I'm awake like I am now I direct my thoughts and they make sense and I know they're my own thoughts. I don't hear them and they aren't totally random. As I get tired my thoughts start to direct themselves and they take a life of their own. I still don't hear them and they still seem like my thoughts they're just random and out of my control. They happen on their own. Then if I get super drowsy I go past that stage and not only do they have a life of their own but I start to hear them playing in my head. Suddenly I'm so drowsy and out of it that I can hear my own thoughts playing like a record. They could turn into a conversation between two people but it's hard for me to pay direct attention to the conversation without waking myself up and returning to normal. I have to be too drowsy to pay attention to it in order for it to happen.


Yeah that all makes sense. It sounds almost like a waking dream type thing. As you say if you tried to focus in and pay attention you'd become fully awake again and lose the experience. It just sounds like a tired brain gearing up for REM sleep.



Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 643

02 Jan 2014, 1:23 am

I brought this up with my girlfriend earlier who is fairly NT and she said she's experienced the same thing once I started describing it. She was then able to add details I remembered and related to. Sounds more normal than you might first think.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 32,152
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

02 Jan 2014, 2:32 pm

Hmmm that does happen when I am really tired....but it can also happen if I've been alone in the quiet for a long period of time. What is really annoying though is when I hear someone like my brother for instance call my name and then go to see what they want only to realize I didn't really hear them calling.


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 301
Location: nowhere land

18 Feb 2014, 12:56 am

im not sure if this is what you mean but i get something called hypnagogic hallucinations when falling asleep. usually with sleep paralysis. which is basically when you plummet into rem sleep vs going through the stages


_________________
if it is it shall not be