Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ranthaman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2017, 12:40 am

I feel like this is a thing that doesn't go together.
I'm undiagnosed with asd (but have scored in range on all tests so will be seeing now), but do have diagnosis for many things:
bipolar mixed with psychotic features, borderline personality disorder, and anxiety disorder

The thought occurred to me as replying to another topic about if you're not diagnosed bipolar at age 14 when you're checked for it, then will you ever be/have it?
I got my bipolar diagnosis in my early 20s, and I thought to myself, if I had saught diagnosis at 14, would it have been the same?

I'll tell you why, because age 17-around 21 I got into a bunch of hard drugs and 21-23 still did some but drank pretty alcoholically. I'm 27 and have been 1000000% clean and sober since 23. The thing now is, having got my diagnosis in the misted of being very like a very different person, how legitimate is it? I would say the me now is much more similar to the me pre-drug abuse era let's just call it (below age seventeen).
I can tell you the difference of these age periods because during the era when I was not sober I engaged a lot socially, and took more risks than I would ever fathom considering in my right mind.
The me now and the me before this era was/is very socially awkward and timid (because I don't want to say or do anything odd because I've been told off unexpectidly)
During "the era" I did not have fears of being touched by people and was relatively careless in a general sense (or numb you could say, but acting about a thousand times more intense than normal--which probably just put me at a normally intense level anyway)

So the thought is, since now I do question the diagnosis of mine due to the timeframe it was taken (amoung other reasons) and about if I do have asd, have anybody ever been victom to abusing drugs? Especilly if for an extended period, did you feel it made you act besides yourself or what effect would you describe such a thing having and being an aspie?

I really hope this is okay to post as a topic due to the themes,
but I really hope to know whether or not I might be alone in this or that it certainly can't be asd for the sole fact I was sucked into doing much drugs

any help or thoughts are appreciate, I love to heard everyone on this forums stories
Thank you!

AspieQuiz: 139/200 ND, 53/200 NT
MBTI type: ISTJ

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 3:23 am

No no no. Drug abuse among autistic people is ridiculously common, especially among younger people. It's because when we are younger we are very naive, more so than NT young people and this means that we can get involved in such things very easily. Manipulation is a very common problem with autistic people. In those younger age brackets I do see how we can be very gullible. Even friends of mine have gone down this route because they were tricked into thinking it would make them cool because lack of understanding because of poor social skills.

I've seen the problem a lot with the UK's drug problem and chav culture. A lot of autistic people fall into this and undergo a lot of problems. Drug dealers manipulating autistic people for example, it's like taking candy from a baby with how some autistic people are so easily manipulated and conned into it. There is a group of autistic people I know of personally who are still on heroin at 45+ because they were manipulated when they were young and are basically stuck like that because their tolerance is too high to come off.

From my perspective of seeing these things myself I can see how actually common it is for autistic people to be among the homeless and drug addicted people, this is why drug awareness is so important. I don't think people really understand that kind of stuff because they're just not told about it. I know of a homeless autistic drug addict who has been that way for more than 10 years, once you fall that way it's very hard to come out of it because of the lack of independence and general understanding of things because no one will help them.

If you're gonna do drugs, stick with party drugs but stay the hell away from hard drugs especially if you're autistic imo. Don't let someone convince you that heroin or crack is cool because it's the worst thing you can do to yourself.

ranthaman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2017, 1:05 pm

That's both comforting and tragic
Tragic to know it's so common since I personally know how horrible it is
comforting at least because I know people would call me "easily impressionable", and talk of "drugs are bad, kids, don't do them" wasn't much told to me. I did get much more an earful of opinions on the matter from peers than anyone else, which wasn't entirely good advice...
But I feel therapist may see doing drugs as a need for risk or danger or attension, and label as BPD or bipolar (which I'm cast as both)
But I'm a scaredy cat (lol), alas an easily confused one

I was homeschooled as a child and a wish of mine was always to be "normal" (like kids who go to school everyday and have lockers--I really liked lockers--how you see kids are on TV), so when I went to PUBLIC highschool for the first time, I guess I tried my best to find reference for "normal" and honestly, it felt like most everyone was doing it (or as you state, the "cool" kids at least. sad).
Trouble with me is once I'm convinced of something it's generally a challange to change my mind on it, and I go all out.
I think I'd get confused easily by people and trying to figure out whats good/bad or truth/lies, so sometimes it's easier for me to latch on to the first or most sensible view as the truth, then disregard other opinions on the matter. Or else, what is the truth then? It's confusing
It's how it is with my interests at least, when I find something I like I don't take it lightly (people've always labeled me "obsessive" or "passionate"), but unfortunately I came to learn that "drugs are a good thing", well technically that "bad is good" ie so even if people would call drugs bad, that'd be a good thing! Man, what a confusing and ridiculous notion (which thinking like that obviously can ruin a lot for someone)

I do disagree to endorse any drugs at all though, "party drugs" included, especially because I've been there and it is not worth anything but harm and negativity overall. But I understand what you're saying that hard drugs are very seriously bad.
But now I wouldn't even endorse weed or drinking
which have huuuuge cultures (endorsers) around them
I personally see zero benefit overall.

I think I might've got diagnosises during this time that I may otherwise not had (psychotic features is one, pretty sure that's just drugs in my system because I hadn't had it prior and after being sober don't)
I'm very thankful to at least have come to my senses on the matter and stopped, though I think it takes a mighty while for those effects to go away.
I do hope others will be able to find a reason to change their minds on it if they've fallen into it either
and is sad for those who're in too deep that it very might not end well

AspieQuiz: 139/200 ND, 53/200 NT
MBTI type: ISTJ

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 4:28 pm

I'm diagnosed with autism spectrum and I have a small problem with opioid abuse. The opioids don't effect my behavior in a negative way, it just makes me calmer and less anxious about stuff. It dulls my senses in a way that makes me less irritable when dealing with noises and visual stimuli. I like the warm fuzzy feeling it gives me. In the end it's horrible for you though, so I've switched over to using kratom instead of pills and stuff.

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2017, 10:09 pm

I can't help it but get addicted to anything really fast. I once drank alcohol and although I hate it and it tastes horrible; but I wanted to drink again everyday for 6 months. Right now I'm addicted to chocolate and sugar and even it's not that bad I have strong withdrawal if I don't eat any chocolate for two days.