Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 7:27 am

I’ve been taking small doses of instant release Ritalin for about seven months now. Whilst it was incredible for my ADHD during the first two months or so, now I become almost incapable of thought after about an hour of taking it. It’s strange and extremely frustrating because I’m only taking 5-7.5mg (as prescribed by my doctor), which were not past my ‘therapeutic window’ when I first started taking it.

Is it tolerance?

Should I be taking med holidays?

Or have I permanently damaged my dopaminergic receptors by taking it for over six months?

I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask such questions but my doctor can’t do anything other than re-refer me to an ADHD clinic.

If anyone has experience of this blunting effect after initial success on the treatment, I’d be interested to know what helped.

Thanks.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 8:14 am

JakeASD wrote:

If anyone has experience of this blunting effect after initial success on the treatment, I’d be interested to know what helped.

Thanks.

I've never taken Ritalin but I have had the blunting effect on all meds that have had some success , It just seems to plateau. I think it's known as tachyphylaxis. Sorry Jake but I haven't found anything that has helped , but there maybe some useful advice here http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65202

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 9:52 am

Thanks, Ferris.

It would be immensely disappointing if I have to stop taking Ritalin altogether as it’s the only medication that has ever calmed down my sensory system. :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Sep 2018, 8:11 pm

Have you tried other stimulants &/or Wellbutrin/Bupropion :?: I'm wondering if switching to a different med that works in kind of a similar way would help :?

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 2:56 am

nick007 wrote:
Have you tried other stimulants &/or Wellbutrin/Bupropion :?: I'm wondering if switching to a different med that works in kind of a similar way would help :?

I’ve tried Elvanse and Concerta but it was the instant release formulation of methylphenidate that proved to be the most beneficial.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to alternative treatments now that I’ve been discharged from an ADHD clinic.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 4:46 pm

Your GP might be able to suggest something

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 6:40 am

My GP isn’t a great help when it comes to ADHD. :(

He invariably concludes that I’m depressed and suggests trying an anti-depressant.

treesandwalks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Oct 2018, 11:40 am

I am currently on 27 mg./day of Concerta XR, though I have never tried Ritalin. I found while I was on only 18 mg. Of Concerta my sensory issues were significantly helped for about 2 months then that faded, just as all other effects of any medication have done. I know autistics can have different experiences with medication and I wonder if this is something that is a result of our neurology. I havent experienced diminished thought capacity on concerta yet but I am finding that on 27 mg I tend to perseverate on thoughts more at night when the meds have mostly worn off. When I first started taking the stimulant I felt a feeling of calm and 'brightness' wash over me which was a welcomed relief to my usual racing irritated mind. I see a psychiatric nurse practictioner for my medication... maybe you can search for a provider like that rather than a GP or psychiatrist.