Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 10:42 pm

I began to realize I show most to all of the traits listed and I am hurting others around myself. Something very deep in my neurology is broken beyond repair, but I'd like to change it so I and my family don't have to suffer as much. I've caused so much damage sometimes I feel I don't even deserve to be around others, like I should isolate myself as punishment and let that take the biological toll.

Later edit: on second thought, I have the overt appearance of an NPD individual but on the inside I feel love and attachment but I can't express it. It's killing me.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:22 am

It seems pretty rare for a narcissist to recognise themselves as such... more likely you're struggling with an autistic difficulty with empathy (feeling empathy inside but unable to act on it appropriately).
You're not alone, just do your best and don't beat yourself up about getting it wrong sometimes.

magz
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:57 am

Quote:
The DSM-5 indicates that persons with NPD usually display some or all of the following symptoms, typically without the commensurate qualities or accomplishments:[6][9]

Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from other people
Fixation on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
Self-perception of being unique, superior, and associated with high-status people and institutions
Need for continual admiration from others
Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
Exploitation of others to achieve personal gain
Unwillingness to empathize with the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people
Intense envy of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them
Pompous and arrogant demeanor
Most likely, a narcissist wouldn't ever admit causing damage. Everyone is guilty but them.

I suspect you struggle with relating to others and communicating feelings with them. An autistic thing, really.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 5:59 pm

A counselor told me that the protocol for personality disorders is, counseling

:roll:

That could be correct

Or maybe that's because she's trying to earn money

:mrgreen: