Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2019, 8:39 am

I want to quit Reddit for good. It’s so easy to accidentally or impulsively say some pretty hurtful things on there, especially when you’re not doing well mentally. They don’t know s**t about Asperger’s. WP is a much better place to be, because I feel like Aspies here, not just me but others too, often say things they don’t mean with the best intentions.

NTs, having better executive functioning and emotional regulation, more often than not mean what they say when they say bad things, with no emotional issues that others can see past. There’s no tone of voice on Reddit, no way for people to tell I have Asperger’s because they can’t see my demeanor, and they think I’m just insulting or disrespecting others in my right mind.

Aspies on WP will understand.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 8:49 am

It's always a good idea to quit something which is giving you distress.

What benefit do you derive from being on Reddit?

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2019, 9:31 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's always a good idea to quit something which is giving you distress.

What benefit do you derive from being on Reddit?

Knowing what I’m thinking and doing and how people will react. It would be better not to give a f*** and to just live life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 9:33 am

It's not better "not to give a f**k"----but it is better to know that your feelings and notions are at least as valid as someone else's.

To give up and "not give a f**k" makes you lose the game before you even start the game.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 3:28 pm

WP isn't any different to be understood because I have been told I am rude and insulting or snarky. I have even seen members here say this place is filled with bullies or passive aggression and other negative things.

I think the thing is, this is the internet so people can't see our tone. If people on here were seeing me in really life, I am pretty sure no one would be thinking any of those things because they would be hearing my tone and it would be my normal cheery voice. In fact, I have made people laugh in real life without me even trying to be funny. If I had said it online, I am pretty sure someone would be provoked or think I am being rude or whatever. I have made other autistic people laugh too without even trying to make them laugh at one autism group here when I used to attend it.

On Reddit, I find it better to just block people and move on. Don't keep engaging with them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dabrou
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2019, 5:50 pm

Yeah me too.. it gets really rough sometimes but it passes. I dont remember the number of time I've had that happen and then I'll get frustrated and really turn into a smartass which makes everything so much better.
Trees are easyer to talk too, they dont say much back though.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 5:59 pm

KikiKitty678 wrote:
NTs, having better executive functioning and emotional regulation, more often than not mean what they say when they say bad things, with no emotional issues that others can see past

I agree with you about quitting reddit, BUT I don't know that NT's are any better behaved there. There is a lot of anger, trolling and poor behavor there with or without those with autism entering into it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Aug 2019, 7:18 pm

DanielW wrote:
KikiKitty678 wrote:
NTs, having better executive functioning and emotional regulation, more often than not mean what they say when they say bad things, with no emotional issues that others can see past

I agree with you about quitting reddit, BUT I don't know that NT's are any better behaved there. There is a lot of anger, trolling and poor behavor there with or without those with autism entering into it.
I never created a Reddit account but I do go on Reddit sometimes. I stumble across groups/pages when I'm doing google searches for various things. I also go to Reddit pages for a couple celebs. Anyways your rite Daniel that there can be a lot of bad things there. There can be some good stuff as well but you have to sift through it sometimes to find the gems.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 12:11 am

Reddit also has lot of subs that would be "toxic" and I do read those sometimes because lot of interesting stuff.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 5:56 am

I find there's too much to read on there. If I start reading on Reddit, I get stuck there for hours. There's a lot here too but I can tear myself away. :wink: