Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

aspie 777
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2020, 2:29 pm

anyone else obsess over stupid stuff and worry for no reason?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 4:04 am

Yes, i have ocd diagnosed. Keeping busy makes it better somehow.

revlar
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2020, 8:25 am

Every minute of every day. Currently obsessing about the sleeves of my undershirt riding up.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 9:07 am

Always been a problem for me,I likely have OCD with intrusive thoughts since about age 15.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 9:28 am

AprilR wrote:
Yes, i have ocd diagnosed. Keeping busy makes it better somehow.

My job is often too boring lately. Obsessive thoughts make it hard to concentrate on what I have to get done. I really have to find something more interesting, hopefully within present employment. I am trying to do that. I didn't realize this is OCD until reading WP.

bugg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2020, 11:33 am

i have recently talked with my therapist about my obsessive thoughts and he says it is common with ASD. keeping busy helps but i find it hard to make myself busy

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 11:17 am

I am working solely because of ocd and fear of going crazy.

FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2020, 5:30 pm

aspie 777 wrote:

Yes, we (those of us with Asperger's) all do.

You are not alone. There are ways to quit obsessing so much. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Ellis

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Jan 2020, 4:08 am

I do some thou it's a lot better since I got on anxiety & OCD medication

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 7:55 pm

aspie 777 wrote:

Me.

Some of the stuff is not stupid or unreasonable, but obsessively worrying/ruminating about it is.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

rache123
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Apr 2020, 9:33 pm

I’m late to the party but this is a problem that I have all the time. I used to have OCD symptoms when it came to religion because my family would use a lot of fear mongering since I was a child. It would get to the point where I would excessively try to replace my thoughts when they weren’t pure because “God knows what you’re thinking,” then I would pray excessively over the same thing for fear of being impure, and there also was a point where I thought I was going to become a devil worshiper even though I wasn’t. I don’t think I have OCD though because with autism you can get “OCD” with certain things.

Nowadays I don’t necessarily have OCD-like thoughts, at least not to my awareness but I do constantly overthink about overthinking things. It’s a nightmare that feels like it can never stop.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2020, 12:09 pm

rache123 wrote:
I’m late to the party but this is a problem that I have all the time. I used to have OCD symptoms when it came to religion because my family would use a lot of fear mongering since I was a child. It would get to the point where I would excessively try to replace my thoughts when they weren’t pure because “God knows what you’re thinking,” then I would pray excessively over the same thing for fear of being impure, and there also was a point where I thought I was going to become a devil worshiper even though I wasn’t. I don’t think I have OCD though because with autism you can get “OCD” with certain things.

Nowadays I don’t necessarily have OCD-like thoughts, at least not to my awareness but I do constantly overthink about overthinking things. It’s a nightmare that feels like it can never stop.

Thanks for sharing. You have actually made me realize something. I don't know if religious obsessions a la OCD necessarily have to be pro-religion, but for a while I was obsessed with debunking religious dogma and promoting atheism and secularism humanism. My primary motivation for doing this seemed to have been like a sort of moral high-horsing and trying to /balance/ the impurity I observed in many religious groups. E.g., the more extreme gay-hating fundamentalists like the Westboro Baptist Church, as well as the less extreme Christian sects that don't necessarily /hate/ gays but still believe homosexuality is a sin.

This preoccupation got so excessive at times that I hurt people I care about and it jeopardized my relationship with them. I wasted so much time thinking and posting about it. It lasted for about four years or so. I guess I eventually realized that /most/ religious people aren't fundamentalists or extremists who want to impose their own theocracy on the world. It still very much irks me when I see someone saying things like "We need to put God back into public schools" or "We're a Christian nation, therefore everyone should yield to Christian values", but I know that in most cases trying to argue with them is futile.

RPG enthusiast

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2020, 1:44 am

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2020, 2:27 am

Hell yeah.. :lol:

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 3:22 pm

Abstract_Logic wrote:
rache123 wrote:

Thanks for sharing. You have actually made me realize something. I don't know if religious obsessions a la OCD necessarily have to be pro-religion, but for a while I was obsessed with debunking religious dogma and promoting atheism and secularism humanism. My primary motivation for doing this seemed to have been like a sort of moral high-horsing and trying to /balance/ the impurity I observed in many religious groups. E.g., the more extreme gay-hating fundamentalists like the Westboro Baptist Church, as well as the less extreme Christian sects that don't necessarily /hate/ gays but still believe homosexuality is a sin.

This preoccupation got so excessive at times that I hurt people I care about and it jeopardized my relationship with them. I wasted so much time thinking and posting about it. It lasted for about four years or so. I guess I eventually realized that /most/ religious people aren't fundamentalists or extremists who want to impose their own theocracy on the world. It still very much irks me when I see someone saying things like "We need to put God back into public schools" or "We're a Christian nation, therefore everyone should yield to Christian values", but I know that in most cases trying to argue with them is futile.

I should clarify that the /theoretical intention/ behind these kinds of "compulsions" isn't ego-dystonic, because they're consistent with my values (I'm a naturalist / secular humanist). But they were "ocd-like" in that they did have a compulsive quality, and they got to a point where I was spending way too much time on them to the exclusion of more enjoyable and productive activities. In retrospect, I would rather not have done them. They seem to have been motivated by a fear of being "stupid" and "immoral".

RPG enthusiast