Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 7:15 pm

How aware are you to your own negativity biases?
What's the main source of yours?

How does it twists your perspective in anything?
How much influence does it hold on you?

How sensitive are you from the thoughts spewed by the programs of the mind?
Does it take a small slight to be triggered or something else?
Does it leave you alone even for a while?

How aware are you about it?
How can you be more than just be aware of it?
Or, beyond that, not influence your actions or how your day or week would be?

Can you bypass it? (Metacognition)

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2023, 7:53 am

therapy helped me with negative thinking years ago, it had become a habit due to constant reprimands and angry feedback from others, and being told over and over there was no excuse for all my failures except that I was not trying hard enough and that it was all my fault. I learned to expect nothing but negativity from others, developed rejection sensitive dysphoria, was depressed, anxious, and suicidal for most of my life up til about age 30 I had to have so much explained to me (that others may have sorted on their own) and to learn healthier communication, that I had choices besides the responses my traumatic youth and young adulthood had programmed into me) and that the ways I had learned to deal with my problems were not healthy. Now 40 years later, I can see that therapy was the best thing in my life ever. I could learn new ways to 'do life' and find healthy outlook, more positive and balanced outlook, take more control over the way I responded to every demand from others, every situation I found myself in, etc. If you find yourself suffering and in emotional pain without understanding why this is happening, consider reaching out to get help from somebody who can become a teacher and coach and help you see unhealthy patterns you might not even aware of and learn how to make every day life better. Therapy saved my life and sanity. Don't be afraid to reach out! If I could do it, as messed up as I was, I am sure almost anybody can. I had no idea life could get better back then. What a relief!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

52djb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2024, 7:52 pm

autisticelders wrote:
therapy helped me with negative thinking years ago, it had become a habit due to constant reprimands and angry feedback from others, and being told over and over there was no excuse for all my failures except that I was not trying hard enough and that it was all my fault. I learned to expect nothing but negativity from others, developed rejection sensitive dysphoria, was depressed, anxious, and suicidal for most of my life up til about age 30 I had to have so much explained to me (that others may have sorted on their own) and to learn healthier communication, that I had choices besides the responses my traumatic youth and young adulthood had programmed into me) and that the ways I had learned to deal with my problems were not healthy. Now 40 years later, I can see that therapy was the best thing in my life ever. I could learn new ways to 'do life' and find healthy outlook, more positive and balanced outlook, take more control over the way I responded to every demand from others, every situation I found myself in, etc. If you find yourself suffering and in emotional pain without understanding why this is happening, consider reaching out to get help from somebody who can become a teacher and coach and help you see unhealthy patterns you might not even aware of and learn how to make every day life better. Therapy saved my life and sanity. Don't be afraid to reach out! If I could do it, as messed up as I was, I am sure almost anybody can. I had no idea life could get better back then. What a relief!

I can relate to this, rejection is common place not just for autistics but everyone as society is designed in this way. People will tread on others to reach their top of the mountain. I am 52 and just beginning to pick myself up when I fail, it is sink or swim. It is worse for autistics.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 3:18 pm

What does negativity bias mean please

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 3:34 pm

Does the fact that my thesaurus is full of negative words count?Sometimes I fantasize myself as a sinner because of my suspicion.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 12:10 pm

babybird wrote:
What does negativity bias mean please

The human inclination of remembering and perceiving the negative and it outweighs supposed and predicted positive ones; it's how humans are evolved to survive in the past and are hardwired towards.

It's different from just mere pessimism though it can exacerbate it.

This is more like one of those pesky outdated human thing that can cause mental illness when it's dysregulated or exploited and left unchecked -- it can range from just not being content and impulsive decisions to catastrophizing and despair.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 12:33 pm

Yeah I get that. It's an interesting topic

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Feb 2024, 12:42 pm

My negativity bias is in my stomach. Literally. These fears are mainly in my body, not in my mind.
I deal with it by trying to acknowledge it. And with sour cabbage, it helps with the physical layer. My neurologist told me to write poetry, too, but I'm too inhibited.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>