Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 11:11 pm

I'm sorting a bunch of old medical papers sent to my insurance and I found this one.
It's filled in by my GP.

Does anyone know what these Axis categories are, and specifically Axis IV?
I googled and it's "Psychosocial and Environmental", but I can't find any good examples.
This is three years old so I'm curious if it needs an update.

Thanks!

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2023, 11:19 pm

Idk if this is what you mean, but What Is the DSM-IV Multi-Axial System? states

Quote:
Factors which might have been included here were:

-Problems with a primary support group
-Problems related to the social environment
-Educational problems
-Occupational problems
-Housing problems
-Economic problems
-Problems with access to healthcare services
-Problems related to interaction with the legal system/crime
-Other psychosocial and environmental problems

Axis IV: Psychosocial and Environmental Problems

Quote:
-Problems with primary support group - e.g., death of a family member; health problems in family; disruption of family by separation, divorce, or estrangement; removal from the home; remarriage of parent; sexual or physical abuse; parental overprotection; neglect of child; inadequate discipline; discord with siblings; birth of a sibling

-Problems related to the social environment- e.g., death or loss of friend; inade­quate social support; living alone; difficulty with acculturation; discrimination; ad­justment to life-cycle transition (such as retirement)

-Educational problems - e.g., illiteracy; academic problems; discord with teachers or classmates; inadequate school environment

-Occupational problems - e.g., unemployment; threat of job loss; stressful work schedule; difficult work conditions; job dissatisfaction; job change; discord with boss or co-workers

-Housing problems - e.g., homelessness; inadequate housing; unsafe neighborhood; discord with neighbors or landlord

-Economic problems - e.g., extreme poverty; inadequate finances; insufficient wel­fare support

-Problems with access to health care services - e.g., inadequate health care ser­vices; transportation to health care facilities unavailable; inadequate health insur­ance

-Problems related to interaction with the legal system/crime - e.g., arrest; incar­ceration; litigation; victim of crime

-Other psychosocial and environmental problems - e.g., exposure to disasters, war, other hostilities; discord with nonfamily caregivers such as counselor, social worker, or physician; unavailability of social service agencies.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 11:27 pm

Oh wow! Thank you so much!

I'm still sorting papers and haven't had time to do a better search!

That's actually the type of stuff I wanted to address on my next appointment, but I didn't know what to call it or how to frame any of it. I think I need some sort of carer or support service for home. That list will really come in handy!

Thanks again!

I guess my next question is if anyone has Axis IV problems and what types of supports they get?

I've done OT, PT, Speech, Social Work, etc., but I think I need something more like a home aide.