Page 3 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 9:38 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Even someone who occasionally lacks empathy and is prone to impulsive behaviours probably won't resemble a psychopath unless they've got most of the other traits as well.

This is true. We can all lack empathy sometimes, nobody's perfect. And I am prone to impulsive behaviours due to ADHD. But I have no other traits.

I come a lot closer to that label than you do, although I don't believe it's applicable to either of us.

Also, I don't believe having a stigmatized label applied to one's self makes one inherently bad. I don't believe we make things better for anyone when we treat people with stigmatized conditions like they're incapable of being decent or of acting with good intentions.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 9:41 am

That's true

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 9:41 am

bee33 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I'd be very surprised if there's a person who has never lied by omission (for example). That's definitely a manipulative behaviour, but most people wouldn't acknowledge it as such while in the act of doing it.

Maybe we're just thinking of "manipulative" in different ways. To me, a lie is only "manipulative" if it's intended to get the other person to do something specific. I agree that everyone has lied.

I'm not sure it needs to be intended to get a specific person to do a specific thing, I think people also try to push others in a general direction without always having a specific goal in mind.

The specific goals might be little more than 'targets of opportunity' so to speak, they're only identified as the situation plays out.

Lackingincaffeine
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2023, 5:07 pm

Interesting article.

Some of the symptoms of autism / narcissism do appear to overlap, and although the reasons are said to be different, I have no idea how this would be guaged.

I also heard that trauma can affect the way people think / relate to others.

I have often wondered whether my teen might have been born a personality disorder (if that's even possible), however he was put on the autism waiting list. Over the years he found things increasingly difficult (predominantly fitting in socially), which led to trauma on a regular basis, possibly exacerbating things.

Hopefully we will get some answers in the coming months. I'm glad I'm not a psychologist, it would drive me bonkers!

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2023, 8:54 am

Well my brother is a narc and I needed quite a while to figure it out. There might be some overlap, but also many differences. He had severe ADHD as a child.

He’s constantly lying, even about little things. I probably had never really a conversation with him where he wasn’t lying, especially when he thinks it’s to his advantage.

He’s constantly jealous and when he notices someone else achieved something, he has to make them look small. He also did this to me several times.

He’s bragging a lot. Not constantly, but sometimes it’s annoying.

He can be quite cruel in a way and then nice and superficial charming in the next.

When he enters a room, he is every bodies darling. He’s quite charming in a way and knows how to present himself to get what he wants.

Those aren’t traits I usually see in autistics.

Jargonaut
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2023, 12:40 am

This thread is interesting to me because I am a narcissistic person. I like that the article quotes Sam Vaknin, because I found his work extremely helpful in coming to better understand my own experience.

I was the single child of a narcissistic single parent and entered adulthood under the impression that empathy is a hoax, or that people are just pretending to care about others when in reality they're being possessive of others. My upbringing led to my confusing love and praise. Consequently, I thought the way to be liked was to be a "good enough object", something worthy of praise. As a teen, I joked that "my ego is my primary erogenous zone" and it was really only halfway a joke. My grandiosity came from wanting to see myself as praiseworthy; by turning myself into a godlike entity in my own mind I was able to live with a functional facsimile of self-respect. By experiencing grandiose delusion I was able to reinforce this illusion of my own superiority in a way that let me live with myself.

Up until the last few years, I was largely blind to my own emotional experience. My favorite story to tell involves taking a public speaking class. I gave a speech during which I felt confident, told jokes, etc. However, the teacher and my classmates pointed out that I was quaking in fear, and that my voice was wavering the entire time. I was so detached from my own emotional life that I hadn't even noticed!

Naturally, since I had little connection with my own emotional state, I struggled with empathy. How can feel others' emotions with them if I can't even feel my own? Emotional empathy didn't come naturally to me. Actually, I found that cannabis led to my being able to feel empathy - when I was watching TV, it was amazing that I could suddenly care about the characters' struggles in a new way rather than merely finding the plot of an episode interesting. Of course, this was a problem because I so lusted for that feeling of empathy that I struggled with addiction for some time.

Nowadays, I try to be a decent person to others and am under the impression it's working. I meditate and study philosophy. I try to be aware of my feelings and don't use others as emotional punching bags. I don't think I can shake my egomania. It might be nested too deeply in my personality, but I can at least see it as a silly trap that I'm caught in and laugh at myself for it. I am still quite squeamish about mentioning NPD to anyone.

I still habitually do the whole "superficial charm" thing but it's exhausting and being expected to mask in that way makes me resentful. I used to lie all the time, but stopped after realizing that I was lying because it felt good to lie - like justice was being done. I wasn't telling stories the way they actually happened, but felt like I was righting some cosmic wrong by telling them the way they "should have happened". I had to realize how silly that was and get in the habit of asking myself, "Is this actually true?" in order to break the lying habit. I do still crave being admired. I don't know that it's realistic that I can break the hold my self-image has over me.

Frankly, I haven't looked into autism enough to distinguish it from my experience. The AQ puts me in autism territory, for what that's worth. I have found it most helpful to conceive of NPD as a variant of CPTSD, and gradiosity as a defense mechanism which tries to block out chronic shame. I can at least say, however, that I've gotten along well with autistic people. Maybe it's because of some similarity in thought patterns, maybe it's because of less of a need for masking, possibly it's both.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 12:59 am

colliegrace wrote:
Agreed, PDs develop as a result of abuse or trauma in most cases & it's kinda (actually very) sh***y to treat people with PDs as monsters before they ever have done anything bad.

If you believe PDs are the result of abuse, then is it safe to say the abusers who caused the PDs had PDs themselves? A viscous repeating cycel, hence, the need for some pre-emptive caution.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 1:12 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Reading the response they got was interesting - sounds very WP'ish.

I can say this - most of my friends growing up had either subclinical or moderate NPD. I think the way this works is that the 'odd ones out' get shoved together by a rather simple heuristic that you're either rather effortlessly like other people or you're not. If you're not, you're having a completely different kind of experience, you're finding the cold of outer space in other people, you're seeing the primate eugenic tendencies pulled on you...

Yes, this is well-articulated. To further this point, I would argue that while there are some well-intentioned NTs, they can never fully empathize with outsiders, despite their kindness, because they never experienced the same isolation and hostility that the outsiders did. So, while not all NTs are hostile, the "good" ones still don't catch any flack from the "bad" ones, as they're all part of the TRIBE. Outsiders have to deal with hostile tribe members, and clueless kindly tribe members who can't relate.

EDIT: and to further it, outsiders of one caliber may understand their place in the pecking order with the NT tribe. If someone is BPD or narcissistic or sociopathic, they realize they're outsiders and may hesitate to flex their muscles on someone who is tribe. But they can deduce that other outsiders may be easy pickings. Those other outsiders aren't tribe, but aren't the same type of outsider as them. And since they're all in the same "pen," proximity also factors in.

And it's not a one-size-fits-all for the outsiders. It's like saying, "We have a whole pack of wolves here, so take the few non-wolf animals and put them together." So, the lions, and sheep, and mice, and elephants all end up in one pen, since none of them are wolves. See how that might work out. Not all outsiders are fit to be shuffled together, but that's how things normally occur when one isn't part of the pack.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 12:45 pm

Not Sam Vaknin. :roll:

I really cannot with that guy he is very bloody annoying.

He only rose to fame because of Richard Grannon. Richard even said he ignores him because he's just after supply.

Narcissists simply do not understand what empathy or compassion is and they don't care to know about it either, they are only focused on themselves. You cannot compare a personality disorder with something genetic.

Many autistic people try to help each other genuinely, narcissists just bounce off each other to use each other.

Not only that but Narcissists SEEK OUT autistic people on purpose because we can be easily abused and robbed from our kindness. I have seen it many times sadly.

The difference is Narcissists can fit in with NTs very easily, they basically are NTs with their empathy/compassion part of the brain removed. They only understand a few emotions, mainly the only one they feel is anger otherwise they are basically dead inside.

I really don't believe in being nice to these people as they are predators by default. Many psychologists have said there is no cure for narcissism. Yes it's a mental condition but it's not one anyone can help with, as 3 months later after treatment they always revert back.

I get wanting to feel empathetic towards their condition but no, doing that means letting your guard down and narcissists are not here to be nice to anyone. Whatever has happened to them to make them like that is very sad yes, but it's not worth ever getting involved with one ever. All you can do is grieve the time they didn't have the condition and move on because they will do something to you eventually as that is their condition unfortunately.

Swiftly avoid them and don't let them feed you rubbish about them being similar to us, they're the ones who give us a bad name when they get mis-diagnosed because everyone suddenly thinks we're uncaring bastards when actually they have full blown NPD and their psychologist didn't know how to diagnose it properly.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 10:57 am

Lunella wrote:
The difference is Narcissists can fit in with NTs very easily, they basically are NTs with their empathy/compassion part of the brain removed. They only understand a few emotions, mainly the only one they feel is anger otherwise they are basically dead inside.

One would assume people with NPD who are allistic would fit in among other allistics.

That would not cover all people with NPD though, as they're not all allistic.

Lunella wrote:

Swiftly avoid them and don't let them feed you rubbish about them being similar to us, they're the ones who give us a bad name when they get mis-diagnosed because everyone suddenly thinks we're uncaring bastards when actually they have full blown NPD and their psychologist didn't know how to diagnose it properly.

I understand that you would prefer the similarities to not be pointed out, but that's not the same as them not existing.

You're not suggesting that anyone with those traits who's been diagnosed with ASD has been misdiagnosed, are you?

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 11:20 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Lunella wrote:

One would assume people with NPD who are allistic would fit in among other allistics.

That would not cover all people with NPD though, as they're not all allistic.

I don't believe them to be either to be honest as their acting is way too good, but they do fit more with NTs, I think whatever the disorder is it damages the brain that much that they're unrecognisable and their brain functions completely differently to ND/NT. I think some of them can even pretend to be ND to get ahead in some cases. Either way it is scary s**t that should just not be messed with.

I think some do have some ND traits, I have seen it but that could just be narcissistic traits that can be unlearned, where as people with full blown NPD their brain lights up completely differently, but it's like the NPD takes over what should be there. Kind of like corrupted data taking over data that is supposed to be there in a way.

Once empathy and compassion are completely absent that you don't even understand it you are missing your basic humanity so they get fulfilment for wrecking peoples lives, probably where the saying misery loves company comes from.

I am aware that there is some kind of an NPD spectrum which seems interesting, obviously some worse than others but I wouldn't associate with one ever unless it was business only as they will eventually just see you as a target as that is the condition to basically be some kind of social predator.

Either way, learning your basic psychology and keeping your distance is the best solution as they cannot be helped as sad as it is.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 11:30 am

funeralxempire wrote:
You're not suggesting that anyone with those traits who's been diagnosed with ASD has been misdiagnosed, are you?

No, I believe a lot confuse ASD with NPD. But they don't actually understand the true nature of NPD. So NPD people go and get a diagnosis for ASD, usually lie about it to take attention away from the NPD and say yeah they're ASD but aren't but then continue their NPD behaviour then everyone else assumes they're acting horribly because they're ASD when they actually aren't. Which in turn gives us a bad name.

Basically an NPD won't want anyone to know they are one unless it brings them some kind of advantage, like Sam Vaknin, he only does this because he gets attention and supply from it. Probably even money now.

Most NPD know their life will fall apart with that diagnosis that's why there are hardly any NPD people on the system but psychologists predict it's probably about 1 in 5 people.

NPD has only just gained popularity that it *exists* within the last 10 years offline to 5ish years all over social media so it's expected I guess.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 11:34 am

Lunella wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

No, I believe a lot confuse ASD with NPD. But they don't actually understand the true nature of NPD. So NPD people go and get a diagnosis for ASD, usually lie about it to take attention away from the NPD and say yeah they're ASD but aren't but then continue their NPD behaviour then everyone else assumes they're acting horribly because they're ASD when they actually aren't. Which in turn gives us a bad name.

Basically an NPD won't want anyone to know they are one unless it brings them some kind of advantage, like Sam Vaknin, he only does this because he gets attention and supply from it. Probably even money now.

Most NPD know their life will fall apart with that diagnosis that's why there are hardly any NPD people on the system but psychologists predict it's probably about 1 in 5 people.

NPD has only just gained popularity that it *exists* within the last 10 years offline to 5ish years all over social media so it's expected I guess.

You sound like you believe you know more than experts, if you're asserting they're all confused meanwhile insisting that your understanding is better.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 11:40 am

funeralxempire wrote:
You sound like you believe you know more than experts, if you're asserting they're all confused meanwhile insisting that your understanding is better.

Nope, I do not.

Most of it is actually still not even understood properly or what even triggers off the behaviour but after listening to a ton of videos of psychologists about it I *think* I understand where they are coming from now, but don't quote me on anything because a lot of it tends to be theory because obviously how can you get a test done on like 100 narcissists if they think there's nothing wrong with them in the first place? It's a condition that affects everyone else but themselves.

I used to be really obsessed with it because I went through all that in the past.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 6:00 pm

Well I'm heck sure PDs have nothing to do with cognitive strengths and weaknesses, nor it affects learning but their "attitude" towards it.

Nor their sensory worlds and comorbidities -- unless that's the root of trauma and the reason of receiving the lack of empathy from others.

I myself have issues that seem like NPD.
In reality, it's this emotional shite I've been struggling since age 6 and I still don't know where it damn came from.

My emotions and my conscious will - they are not congruent.
For some reason, something just happened to me around that age, being willfully trying not to be emotional.

But lo and behold -- that never came true.
It's even worse. And still fighting it because of that. Other factors do not help.
So half the time I woke up very irritated and just coping with crap that I still barely understand -- all I know is that autism couldn't explain it.

It is still the root of my stupid reactions though. Reactions that will make me like a fricking brat; basically acting like a narcissist. I hate it.

All those reactions are NOT CONSCIOUS. NOT BY CHOICE.
It's like a stupid reflex, it's like an unwanted program that I have no idea where the stupid code is so I could delete it.
And I fricking hate, hate, HATE it.

Then when I'm not coping with any damn crap as soon as I wake up? Gaining executive functions?
Suddenly I have "more empathy". :roll: More sociable, more reliable. Actually acting, thinking and feeling like MY AGE

No more accusing me a liar for being forgetful or not being able to use the damn right words and wording.
Also not feeling like some gullible scapegoat that needed to be lynched -- I feel so free that there's do much in this world that I wanna do.

THEN -- THEN IT STOPPED A WEEK OR LESS. It's also increasingly getting rarer too.
As if -- I'm lying to myself??? Am I deceiving myself??? Was that an episode or something???

Sooo.... WTF? :jester: :mrgreen: :skull:
The heck is the point of SEEING THE REAL ME TEMPORARILY?? Give me false hope??? :x :x :x

Hahahaha...
Sorry about the post.
I'm tired.

Tired of myself. Dealing with... THAT.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 5:39 am

The article overlooks some very fundamental differences in the development of ASD (a neuro-developmental condition) and NPD (trauma/abuse/attachment condition), as well as serious differences in how the similarities play out behaviourally.

Anyone who has been on the receiving end of these behaviours from a textbook malignant narcissist will understand. These individuals will go out of their way to manipulate, coerce, intimidate and groom whoever they need to to get what they want, and they have an innate sense of both the social mechanics required to reach these ends and the vulnerabilities of those who stand in the way. Skills that people with ASD can only dream about.

It makes me sick to think that anyone would consider these conditions related, which is not to disparage those with NPD. These individuals really do deserve sympathy; they are deeply insecure to their core and forever chasing the love, validation and attachment they needed when young but missed, and they will never ever get it. I can understand how the conditions can look superficially similar though unfortunately...