Page 3 of 33 [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33  Next

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 6:18 am

Recidivist wrote:
babybird wrote:
My T said that it doesn't matter what the label is called just as long as I get the right treatment for the right symptoms.

Your T is correct and as long as you get the right treatment it should be all that matters. For some people labelling something can have a therapeutic effect the reverse is also true.

Absolutely. The main thing is what helps and what hinders. There are so many different approaches to mental health issues. Relationships can be very healing if you are in the right kind of company. :)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 6:22 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
babybird wrote:
I think it's weird that one condition where you get audio hallucinations is considered a mental illness and another condition where you may hear voices is considered as a coping mechanism.

What condition where a person may hear voices, is not considered a mental illness? I am curious.

Dissociative disorder. You can sometimes hear voices.

My T assures me that I don't have a mental illness even though I can hear voices.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 6:23 am

Temeraire wrote:
Recidivist wrote:
babybird wrote:
My T said that it doesn't matter what the label is called just as long as I get the right treatment for the right symptoms.

Your T is correct and as long as you get the right treatment it should be all that matters. For some people labelling something can have a therapeutic effect the reverse is also true.

Absolutely. The main thing is what helps and what hinders. There are so many different approaches to mental health issues. Relationships can be very healing if you are in the right kind of company. :)

Yeah I think that support at home is vital

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 6:24 am

babybird wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
babybird wrote:
I think it's weird that one condition where you get audio hallucinations is considered a mental illness and another condition where you may hear voices is considered as a coping mechanism.

What condition where a person may hear voices, is not considered a mental illness? I am curious.

Dissociative disorder. You can sometimes hear voices.

My T assures me that I don't have a mental illness even though I can hear voices.

I thought dissociative disorder was a form of mental illness?

"Dissociative disorders are mental health conditions that involve experiencing a loss of connection between thoughts, memories, feelings, surroundings, behavior and identity. These conditions include escape from reality in ways that are not wanted and not healthy. This causes problems in managing everyday life."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dissociative-disorders/symptoms-causes/syc-20355215#:~:text=Overview,problems%20in%20managing%20everyday%20life

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 6:27 am

Well that's where I'm confused because he says it's a coping mechanism and not a mental illness

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 6:29 am

Anyway I'll ask him when I see him next week.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 6:30 am

babybird wrote:
Well that's where I'm confused because he says it's a coping mechanism and not a mental illness

It's true that hearing voices can be a coping mechanism, but in most cases of that happening, it is part of a wider mental health problem or illness or disorder.

Hearing voices isn't classified as a mental health disorder in and of itself, but is usually a symptom of a wider mental health condition that encompasses more than just that one symptom.

In your case, you have dissociative disorder, which is indeed a form of mental disorder. There's no shame in having an issue like that. It is what it is. :)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 6:31 am

babybird wrote:
Anyway I'll ask him when I see him next week.

Yeah. :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Oct 2023, 9:07 pm

I read about some cases where people had auditory processing disorder & thought they were hearing voices when it was really due to their brain processing various background sounds & noises wrong. Some of them were misdiagnosed & put on antipsychotics when the problem really had nothing to do with auditory hallucinations. There are also some people who are auditory thinkers & their brains think in words instead of images & sometimes their thoughts can sound like voices to them. I'm one of those people. I've also heard of people's consciousnesses being describe as voices in their heads as well; like on TV shows when someone is experiencing a moral dilemma & there's an angle talking to them in one ear & a devil talking to them in the other. It is a visual representation of the person's thought process which some people do experience as voices in their heads.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2023, 3:05 am

This.. "Darkness" that I have for as long as I can remember.

As soon as before age 5. And became something more malicious since age 7.

Malicious enough to actually have malicious desires. Questionable amoral acts and thoughts that no child should have. Even taking pleasure at hurting.

It seems that...
Being autistic might be the only reason why I even have a sense of right and wrong, or 'be a child' as a child at all.
Or even ever felt a sense of guilt, sympathy and remorse -- yet, also hating having it.

If I wasn't, I'd probably one of those sociopaths who would go in trouble with the law or some homewrecker.

Whatever this is, it's the reason why I never believed that I'm a good person.

It's hard to untangle this... "Darkness"... From whatever it is being interacted with.
It's more like a form of hunger, than an expression of hurt and lack. I'm not sure where it came from.

It's not like I was abused or ended up with something extreme or complicated.

The worst would just be outright ignorance and emotional immaturity from my own NT parents.
Just 'normal' negative crap... Stacking unto another...
And I'm "sensitive" and won't respond the same like most NTs would...

But still...
The damage is there... If that's even called a damage. And if it is, it's a mystery where it came from other than just utter "normal" human ignorance.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2023, 10:01 am

You're not a sociopath

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2023, 10:28 am

babybird wrote:
You're not a sociopath

I have never gotten that impression from Edna, either.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2023, 12:51 pm

Of course I'm not a sociopath.
But I could've skirt around ASPD if I were more NT to afford those traits.

I am sure that I'm a violent person somewhere in my core. It's likely a family curse.

I just kept holding back to a point that holding back bleeds into other aspects of my life.

Whether because of right and wrong, because of knowing the inability to afford whatever consequences, or out of sheer uncertainty.

And...
I don't know how to channel it. :lol: Maybe my family can, but they'd likely deny it exists, dismissing it as if it's a typical human trait, say nonsense like 'be humble' or some BS.

I've yet to relate to anyone who also do -- that, or everyone else who do are denying or just excel at self regulation to afford something like this, in which I struggle so much.

All I know is that it's very destructive and very risky, it's like I'm two people fighting.

There's novelty seeking, and then there's "this", which is actively malicious and actually morally wrong.

The worst part is that it's not my head that wants it -- that would be suspected malevolent OCD, which I'm sure I don't have. It's not some recurring intrusive thought.
My "heart" wants it. I crave and desire it -- it's not some mere thought or some 'what if'.

Now I'm becoming more inconsistent because of fluctuating energy levels, which is very annoying.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2023, 1:03 pm

I have an annoying habit of biting my nails. I don't know if it is pre-meditated by anxiety, which I experience frequently, but it is undesirable.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2023, 3:53 pm

I love my imagination and my resourcefulness, they have saved my life...literally.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2023, 6:59 am

Just made my picture for tomorrow. It's a picture of how my brain works.