Page 26 of 33 [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 12:49 pm

Yeah thats frustrating

I mean we moan and complain in England about waiting lists etc but at least we get tested for stuff for free if we're willing to wait

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 12:56 pm

babybird wrote:
Yeah thats frustrating

I mean we moan and complain in England about waiting lists etc but at least we get tested for stuff for free if we're willing to wait

The US is a hostile place economically for a lot of disabled people, I think.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 1:28 pm

Most who are low income in the US, including myself, qualify for medical assistance and don’t have to pay for medical testing, appointments, or prescriptions.

We certainly could have more social programs in place for people who need them, but there are a lot of countries that are much more hostile to people with disabilities than the US.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 1:36 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
babybird wrote:
Yeah thats frustrating

The US is a hostile place economically for a lot of disabled people, I think.

My GP nearly fell off his chair when I told him I've been getting therapy on the NHS for 18 months. He couldn't believe it.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 1:39 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Most who are low income in the US, including myself, qualify for medical assistance and don’t have to pay for medical testing, appointments, or prescriptions.

We certainly could have more social programs in place for people who need them, but there are a lot of countries that are much more hostile to people with disabilities than the US.

I'm glad there's help out there for you TP.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 1:45 pm

My heads up my arse today. It's been a bit of a week for discoveries for me

Grandmother with Down syndrome and a brother and an uncle with schizophrenia

It makes me think whether I am actually on the schizophrenia spectrum (if there is one) as I was diagnosed and then undiagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder many many years ago

I just keep thinking I need to just get on with my life now and put all of this s**t behind me. I can't see how it's benefiting me in any way.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 1:53 pm

Maybe why I'm constantly irritated at work is the near continuous interruption.

On top of... Guessing games. It cannot be helped.
On top of... Short Term Memory Issues. And forgetting whatever work around involves this.
On top of... Disorganization. On top of time fricking management.

But time management -- involves too many interruptions in every step.

On top of... Losing patience altogether. I sure heck did not 'chose' this response.

I would never choose to feel and react overwhelm. If I have a choice on how to respond is that to pause -- but that doesn't happen. Because time management. Because getting disorganized. Because short term memory. Because urgency.

Because, because, because it loops into another existing reason altogether and that loops into another existing reason altogether.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 2:05 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:

As my experience being directly involved at working with social development in a local PWD sector; the norm is basically desolated.
It's worse than just not providing for the disabled, it's basically further than that to a point that aiding the disabled is a "non-essential" because the essential types were the types that had outright lost their homes.

... And I'm not even gonna mention the generational poor; especially at the slums around the capital region. Which had been the case since, well, I dunno, WW2? That 'financial case' still remains unsolved. No room for PWDs.

The 'qualified' ones here in my city for any aide are usually the type that needs maintenance medicine for survival and have, say, something like having unstable household incomes earned by one person, providing for more than 3.

I happened to know a few cases that are that poor, and I happened to survey/shadow city workers who would choose to give a limited slot for obtaining whatever aide or goods...

It's just that my city is one of the very few in my country that can barely provide few any stuff -- at all. My city, while not one of the giants, it is still not the norm; it's relatively luxurious even.

And... The services, especially when it's charity; they're very, very swamp.
And the available professionals were limited, too.

At the moment, I tried to volunteer to online collaborations related to providing services and such and such since neurodiversity is relatively new in my country...

But -- since I had a run into whatever made me dropped whatever I'm doing into some off-day slump of laziness... That lasts for, well -- right now, about over a month now.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 2:18 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

As my experience being directly involved at working with social development in a local PWD sector; the norm is basically desolated.
It's worse than just not providing for the disabled, it's basically further than that to a point that aiding the disabled is a "non-essential" because the essential types were the types that had outright lost their homes.

... And I'm not even gonna mention the generational poor; especially at the slums around the capital region. Which had been the case since, well, I dunno, WW2? That 'financial case' still remains unsolved. No room for PWDs.
I wouldn’t argue with any of this and have extensive experience with the issue myself from both sides of the coin. I see it as more of a worldwide problem. I’m grateful for food stamps, low income housing, food banks, medical assistance, and the welfare programs that we do have, not that any of them are ideal. So many countries have way fewer resources than we do which leads to a lot of suffering. Someday I would like to see stuff like universal healthcare, free university, and UBI or, at least, greater access to funds for the disabled and otherwise impoverished.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 30 Mar 2024, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 2:23 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:

I kind of just meant in the western world, where countries are wealthy and you might expect disabled and poor people to be treated decently.

Of course, as you point out, there are much worse countries on a global scale than the US in terms of provisions for disabled people.

It is good to hear that you don't have to pay for the things you mention, however, considering your economic situation.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 2:30 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

I kind of just meant in the western world, where countries are wealthy and you might expect disabled and poor people to be treated decently.

Wealthy countries aren’t helping out their neighbors enough. Sometimes it bothers me that I have more resources at my disposal than some. The expectation should be that everyone in the world is treated decently.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 4:14 pm

Yeah I can't disagree with you there

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 5:31 pm

I'm pretending to feel sorry for myself. This is what I do if I think I should be feeling something about a certain situation or event but I'm not actually feeling very much at all about it so then I think to myself how I should be feeling and then I just pretend to feel sorry for myself. I don't know who I'm trying to kid; myself or everyone else.

:lol:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 6:17 pm

I can certainly relate to that. It’s weird when you feel like you should feel a certain way, but you feel numb or nothing. I feel like I just recently started feeling things that I should’ve felt years ago, not that there’s a “should” with feelings. It can be especially difficult when you’re hit with multiple things at once.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 6:39 pm

I don't think there is a right answer.

I don't actually like it if there is this idea of how one 'should' feel.
Not even guilt over something bad as a 'way' to recognize that something is wrong, yes.

Likely because even something ingrained as fear and pain seems 'weird' to me. I 'should or should not' be afraid and hurt about certain things, but I'm not. :roll:

I even feel happy at specifically disturbing things like getting nightmares; why is it "better" that I'm 'afraid' instead of interested? What for?
Is it the fact that others do not typically feel the same way as I do and acknowledge that's how most people would respond not enough?? Is it not enough that I know what's right from wrong??

Though irrelevant out of nowhere feelings; I dislike them more.

Likely because I grew seemingly chronically angry... And if I stop distracting myself, I'd end up going to wherever I was since I was 6. And my pessimism 'doesn't make sense' since I am lucky.
And whatever I can relate to people with CPTSD also makes even less sense since I am never a victim of whatever other than sheer ignorance, immaturity and helplessness of adults.

Yeah, yeah, I "should" be happy, grateful or whatever my life looks like since I have 'family and friends and a network and a privilege, and all that luck".
Fricking annoying. :roll:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 6:00 am

I mean yeah so that's what makes me not believe in empathy because it must be a purely imagined thing.

A person cannot possibly know how another person feels. I get that they can imagine how they might feel in a similar situation but they can't know how you or TP or anyone else might feel

Yeah that settles it for me empathy is just a lot of bs