Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

06 Apr 2011, 10:00 am

I honest beleive that I have dude-phobia, and wonder if any other aspie males feel the same, especially those that might be questioning their sexuality or their gender identity. Guys that I don't really know can often make me feel uncomfortable, and possibly threatened especially if we don't act the same. I'm alot more comfortable around girls, and guys that I know are not straight or are not guyish guys. Does anyone else idenity with these thoughts and feelings?

nunctecognovi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Apr 2011, 10:23 am

It happens the same to me only I am a woman. I don't feel comfortable with women that act too much like women. I feel first of all a person: I don't like when sexuality define the whole individual.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 2:43 pm

I find a lot of guys tend to annoy the hell out of me. I do avoid them a lot, though.

SYZendera
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2011, 7:52 am

Yes, I am male and I feel a lot more comfortable around females.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 11:16 am

We are all, to some extent or other, hard wired to be competitive--and testosterone only serves to fuel this.

At it's most primitive, it is sexual competition--who has the best display, or who can best fend off other, competing males.

But we are more complex social animals. So, "faster, higher, stronger," became our competition. Even today, sport provides a socially acceptable framework within which to play out this competition.

So, it stands to reason that some of us (whether gay, straight or otherwise) will, when confronted with another man who we perceive to be more competitive than we are, will feel uncomfortable.

I'm not sure that ASDs will have a profound effect on this, any more than any other individual characteristic. At the end of the day we are each individuals, with our own unique psychologies.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 2:43 pm

I feel uncomfortable around people in general. But of those I am comfortable around, more do tend to be girls. There are a few guys I'm comfortable around though (especially in a group setting).

As for competition: that makes sense. My only close male friend is someone who I compete against relentlessly. Actually, it's my fault because he doesn't really start it. It's just that everyone (it isn't just me) loves it when they beat him at something because he is so arrogant.