An Open Question To Anti-Gays: What Is Wrong With It?

Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 1:49 pm

visagrunt wrote:
It seems to me that this is a bit of an invitation to a flame war.

While that is par for the course on any given same-sex-marriage/abortion/"George-Soros-is-a-Nazi"/"Fox-News-presents-revealed-Truth(TM)" thread in PPR, I am not sure that it's the best use of the LGBT forum.
I quite agree,
especially when they used the words that they did. :?

As a response to the OP:
I don't agree with the lifestyle, but that it is mostly for Christian reasons. I don't feel that it is a sin to have the temptation towards same sex attraction, but that it would be one to give into it or actively lust after another man or woman. However, it is also a sin to have a heterosexual man sleep with a woman outside of marriage(and vise versa), and to lust after that woman or man. Also other sins are if you lie, gossip, murder, steal, and commit adultery.

None of these are mentioned to stop people from having 'equal rights' or things like that. The reason why they are mentioned is because these things are what keep people out of heaven. That is why they are forbidden in the Bible. God doesn't want people to do this stuff because their souls are infinitely more important then any earthly thing the human mind can think up. He wants wants people to repent and be redeemed, not to be seperated and dead from Him.

I am sorry if the Christians that you came across acted like jerks about this, and that it seemed that all they were was hateful. That is not the message that we are trying to get across, but that God loves everyone and that He doesn't want any person to be left in their sins. I think it is because most Christians don't have a real experiance with LGBT except for what they see on TV, and it is the same in reverse. I feel it is because both sides have a major misunderstanding about each other, and it shows in how both sides talk about the other.

I have an attraction towards both men and women (what the world calls bisexual) and even had a bad crush on a female coworker for a while. I have to look away whenever there is an especially alluring female image on the internet or magazine, because I start to get aroused. But I don't want it. It's not worth it. I would be sinning against God if I were to go into a same-sex relationship, and no same-sex relationship is ever worth that.

I am not 'denying myself' or being 'brainwashed.' l am choosing this, of my own will and with my own full senses. But to me it is worth it, and I want to follow God's will to the best of my ability.

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

Metalwolf wrote:
I don't agree with the lifestyle, but that it is mostly for Christian reasons.

I think it is because most Christians don't have a real experiance with LGBT except for what they see on TV, and it is the same in reverse.

LGBT is not a "lifestyle".

If you abstain from homosexual relationships because of the Bible, I assume you also abstain from eating pork and wearing clothing of mixed fibres? As for your second statement, that is just absurd. (some) Christians may base their opinions of LGBT people on a mixture of what they see on television and the perversion of their own religion, but most LGBT people in America at least live amongst Christians.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2011, 6:24 pm

kouzoku wrote:
I am neither gay nor straight since I am third gender (I prefer to date only men, though). I don't publicly flaunt my sexual preferences or my transsexualism. I think most people don't care what is in my pants or what goes on in my bedroom. I will, however, participate in intelligent conversations about sexuality (like this one).

Can I ask (if you are comfortable saying) are you FtM or MtF? Feel free to PM me, I'm a transguy, just starting to come out and learn more about the options. It would be awesome to meet others like me.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2011, 3:10 am

Metalwolf wrote:
I think it is because most Christians don't have a real experiance with LGBT except for what they see on TV.

I think that most Christians know more LGBT people than they realise. You can't tell that someone is LGBT just by looking at them, just as you can't tell who is Christian just by looking at them. Yes, a small minority of LGBT are very obvious by their appearance and behaviour, but you can say that about a small minority of religous people too.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Aug 2011, 6:29 am

YourMother wrote:
Metalwolf wrote:

I think it is because most Christians don't have a real experiance with LGBT except for what they see on TV, and it is the same in reverse.

If you abstain from homosexual relationships because of the Bible, I assume you also abstain from eating pork and wearing clothing of mixed fibres
+1
It's this cherry-picking of carefully selected and mistranslated quotes which then get used as a justification for patronising or pitying flavours of homophobia (love the "sinner", hate the "sin" etc.) that really makes me wonder about some "Christians", and whether they understand a single word of what they've been reading.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 10:48 am

Cornflake wrote:
YourMother wrote:

If you abstain from homosexual relationships because of the Bible, I assume you also abstain from eating pork and wearing clothing of mixed fibres
+1
It's this cherry-picking of carefully selected and mistranslated quotes which then get used as a justification for patronising or pitying flavours of homophobia (love the "sinner", hate the "sin" etc.) that really makes me wonder about some "Christians", and whether they understand a single word of what they've been reading.

You are failing, however, to recognize that the the New Testament is fairly clear in exempting Christians from dietary and ritual purity laws. Accusing Christians of hypocrisy for eating pork in the face of Matthew 15:11, Acts 10:15, or Romans 14:14 makes no sense.

Far better to hold the mirror up to an individual's hypocrisy when that individual claims on the one hand to observe only the "inward" laws but then chooses routinely to flout the same.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Aug 2011, 10:56 am

Well, true enough - I haven't checked for later exclusion clauses or other contractual modifications, so I suppose I've been cherry-picking too. :wink:

kraelik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2011, 11:05 am

Cornflake wrote:
YourMother wrote:
Metalwolf wrote:

+1

There are so many different interpretations of every single Bible story. Two different people can read the same passage and have completely different reactions! It is one big ball of contradictions.

Also, if you go by Leviticus: Tattoos, haircuts, beard trims, menstruating women, eating anything from the sea that does not have scales of fins, or sowing more than one type of seed in a field are ALL BAD and punishable by death. Rape of slaves on the other hand...completely acceptable(as long as they are women.) In fact, if she is married at the time of the RAPE, SHE should be punished, while the rapist should not be punished, because she was a slave.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Aug 2011, 11:28 am

kraelik wrote:
Also, if you go by Leviticus: Tattoos, haircuts, beard trims, menstruating women, eating anything from the sea that does not have scales of fins, or sowing more than one type of seed in a field are ALL BAD and punishable by death. Rape of slaves on the other hand...completely acceptable(as long as they are women.) In fact, if she is married at the time of the RAPE, SHE should be punished, while the rapist should not be punished, because she was a slave.
:lol: Yep, seen those.
It's a wonder people were able to move, for all the rules and restrictions - and this "put them to death" thing seemed a fairly common outcome.
Hmm. Aww c'mon - it was only one oyster. Is there really no wiggle room here? :wink:

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 8:05 am

DiabloDave363 wrote:
Descartes wrote:
You probably should have posted this in the Politics, Philosophy, and Religion forum. I don't expect many anti-gay people to regularly visit this forum, if they do at all.

are there antigays on this site? i would find it very ironic if someone on the autism spectreme would hate someone for being different

its also quite ironic that those same anti-gay aspies are pro-conservative -they support people who say things like "autism is fiction" and "autistics are brats that havent been told to cut the act out" and all manner of hurtful cack like that. :?

and also, because you have prevented them using bible fairy stories, that basically shuts them up :P

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 9:12 am

Metalwolf wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
It seems to me that this is a bit of an invitation to a flame war.

While that is par for the course on any given same-sex-marriage/abortion/"George-Soros-is-a-Nazi"/"Fox-News-presents-revealed-Truth(TM)" thread in PPR, I am not sure that it's the best use of the LGBT forum.
I quite agree,
especially when they used the words that they did. :?

As a response to the OP:
I don't agree with the lifestyle, but that it is mostly for Christian reasons. I don't feel that it is a sin to have the temptation towards same sex attraction, but that it would be one to give into it or actively lust after another man or woman. However, it is also a sin to have a heterosexual man sleep with a woman outside of marriage(and vise versa), and to lust after that woman or man. Also other sins are if you lie, gossip, murder, steal, and commit adultery.

None of these are mentioned to stop people from having 'equal rights' or things like that. The reason why they are mentioned is because these things are what keep people out of heaven. That is why they are forbidden in the Bible. God doesn't want people to do this stuff because their souls are infinitely more important then any earthly thing the human mind can think up. He wants wants people to repent and be redeemed, not to be seperated and dead from Him.

I am sorry if the Christians that you came across acted like jerks about this, and that it seemed that all they were was hateful. That is not the message that we are trying to get across, but that God loves everyone and that He doesn't want any person to be left in their sins. I think it is because most Christians don't have a real experiance with LGBT except for what they see on TV, and it is the same in reverse. I feel it is because both sides have a major misunderstanding about each other, and it shows in how both sides talk about the other.

I have an attraction towards both men and women (what the world calls bisexual) and even had a bad crush on a female coworker for a while. I have to look away whenever there is an especially alluring female image on the internet or magazine, because I start to get aroused. But I don't want it. It's not worth it. I would be sinning against God if I were to go into a same-sex relationship, and no same-sex relationship is ever worth that.

I am not 'denying myself' or being 'brainwashed.' l am choosing this, of my own will and with my own full senses. But to me it is worth it, and I want to follow God's will to the best of my ability.

Why would you want to worship a god who is that much of a jerk? He let's people feel attraction and love towards the same sex but forbids them to act on it? And you say that god is kind?

I'm sorry, but even if you are polite in voicing those feelings they are not acceptable. Before I came out to myself I would view such homophobia as a regrettable character flaw. Now I view it as an inexcusable defect. It amazes me that otherwise good people can hold such awful views.

LexicalGap
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2011, 8:46 pm

What's the point in arguing over a book of fables?

Come on, get a grip. It's the 21st century. The time for archaic belief systems has passed. Clearly the world has continuously been progressing on many social issues and attitudes about gay people and religion and such. I think in a few decades, the religious people will once again be on the wrong side of history. Same as when slavery ended, or when the woman's suffrage movement happened, or the civil rights movement. Religion is holding back society in so many ways.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:50 pm

What Is Wrong With It?

The cutest lesbians pay no attention to me. :(

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2011, 6:18 pm

So I need to go to Austria :)

mmm met a nice lady from there.

Germany ohmygosh has sex shops open to the street.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 11:08 am

As a friend of mine used to say, "Germans: the kinky comes standard."

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm

yeah hmm...

I stumbled upon hmm... something that suggests New Zealand is up there :P I'll PM you 8)