Should I ask help from my school counselor?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2012, 10:07 pm

So basicially, I'm transgender, or at least I feel that way. I wrote 2 topics already on here about it, one in The Haven and one here. Well...I wrote more than those 2 but never actually said I feel that way in the ones before those. I was seriously considering asking help from the school counselor, but I'm scared it would be a bad idea. What do you guys think?

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 10:16 pm

I generally have found that counselors are idiots. Do you actually like and trust your school counselor? You might want to talk to an adult who is transgender because they are more likely to be able to sympathize with you and have more practical advice.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 10:37 pm

I disagree with Peko. Some psychologists can be very helpful...if you know what you're looking for. I think it would be best if you get a psychologist outside of school, though, because I don't think that school counselors are equipped to deal with this sort of thing. The can't even really deal with autism from my experience, so I doubt that they would be able to do this. I think they're more for talking to students with behavioral problems or for people in crisis situations who need help immediately.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 11:01 pm

I don't mean to sound probing, but what is the nature of the thing you need to discuss with a counselor? I actually would recommend seeing your counselor, and if they cannot help you, at least see if they can refer you to any specific help that would better accomodate your needs.

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2012, 6:10 am

Do you need help? If so, with what? Depending on the answers to these questions, a school counselor may or may not be able to help you.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 3:30 pm

Maybe your question is a little too specific.

Rather than focussing on whether or not you should seek help from your school counsellor, maybe the first question is, "should I seek help?" If the answer to that question is, "yes," (And, for the record, I think the answer to that question is most assuredly, "yes.") then you can turn to the second question, "from whom should I seek help?"

That's a harder one to answer because it depends so much on what resources are available to you, your level of trust in their ability to keep what you disclose in confidence and your willingness to give credibility to their advice.