More transmen and genderqueers in the media

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 6:22 pm

I've been thinking how good it would've been for me when I was younger (hell, even now I older) to see transmen and genderqueer people in the media. I'm not a transmen, but seeing transmen and reading about them reassures me. I think it's because they were born women too, and had gender issues, which they fought hard to overcome. It makes me feel less alone, even if I don't want surgeries or to live full time as a man. The only transmen to get media coverage are Chaz Bono and that dude who got pregnant.

Seeing genderqueer people would also make me feel much less alone because I could recognise my own experience. There's Richard O'Brien and Pete Burns, but I'd like to see genderqueer people who were born women, as well. Or maybe genderqueer people who still look more or less like their birth gender (Richard O'Brien has boobs now, but he does still look more male, I guess.) There's a female genderqueer musician called Micachu, but she's pretty obscure because her music is experimental.

The media is a powerful thing in this day and age, and is part of what creates modern society.

Would you feel happier if there were more transmen and genderqueers in the media?

I know the media should be allowed to cover whatever it wants and that I can't choose who gets to be famous, but even a character in a tv programme would be a good start.

I was thinking that it must've had a positive impact for transwomen to have seen more people like them in the media over the last 30 years. Do you agree?