Gay, wiccan, and living in the bible belt

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LizzyR
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Aug 2012, 9:48 pm

I feel like I am fully trapped and being buried alive. Not only do I practice a religion that believes in worshiping nature, but I'm a gay female aspie. On top of that I live in the bible belt.

I can never be myself which makes just finding friends horrible. But when it comes to finding someone to love...I'm at a loss and the stress of having no one to connect to is slowly driving me insane. I'm just wondering if there is anyway to cope with this...or how to find someone. I have tried online dating sites but...I just get so scared and overwhelmed by them and most of them well most people on them are looking for one thing and while that would be nice I want so much more than just 'that'

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 10:28 pm

Have you tried connecting with people on WitchVox.com? You'd be surprised how many pagans there are in the Bible Belt...

LizzyR
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Aug 2012, 10:31 pm

No I haven't. I will check it out.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 11:12 pm

Good agnostic that I am, I'm very open to Native American approaches to spirituality and also Zen Buddhism. As I kind of understand it, Wiccan is pre-Christian, European, Earth-centered spirituality, kind of? If so, I like it! :D

Maybe a nearby Unitarian church (some might have Wiccan covenant).

PS Hi, I'm picking this up off the main board. I'm not a member of the LGBT community myself, but am a big third-party supporter.

LizzyR
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2012, 9:45 am

You are correct, Aardvark. It is a pre-Christian religion that focuses on worshiping and protecting the earth and everything on it. If you Mix parts of buddism, druidism, and paganism you get wicca. That just how I see it.

The problem is that many Christans and other religions see Wicca as "Witch craft" a thing centered around the "devil" and something that involves harming people. When Wiccans don't even believe in the devil. There is no such thing as a pure evil creature as everything even the Gods are both good and evil.

Also I'm not technally looking for someone else who is Wiccan. Although it would be kind of intresting, I accept all religions and as long as they accept mine and let me pratice the way I want to. There are way too many closed minded people around here and I'm trying to find one of few that I can fully connect with. Seems impossible at the moment. But I can't give up hope. Right?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 1:49 pm

LizzyR wrote:
. . . There is no such thing as a pure evil creature as everything even the Gods are both good and evil. . .

Such a simple and straightforward view which I agree with! and yet, christians, at least the fervent ones, take a really different view. Their whole approach seems predicated on "try harder," rather than the more mature "bend the path." Some doctrinaire Christians put themselves in a small box and seemingly try to put other people in an even smaller box.

As an example of what I think we're both talking about, there is William Blakes poem, "Tyger! Tyger! burning bright" Also the idea in the traditional yin yang, a little bit of black in the white (or red), and a little bit of white in the black,

Okay, a former girlfriend of mine who grew up in a smaller town in Arkansas told me the fervent people tended to go to a Baptist church, whereas the more open-minded people went to a Methodist church. But that's still probably not what you're looking for.

Maybe volunteering for Democratic candidate? Can be as hierarchical as anything else, but might have some cool, open-minded people.

Maybe looking into a local Mensa chapter? Supposedly higher IQ people, but not that cut and died. And often some interesting, more off-beat people.

And I think more and more people are open to New Age ideas and might quietly appreciate that you've thought out some of this and have taken your own personal journey. I know sometimes when Stevie Nicks sings "Rhiannon" she introduces with "This is a song about a Welsh Witch" and she's warmly received (of course self-select group).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 2:12 pm

LizzyR wrote:
I feel like I am fully trapped and being buried alive. Not only do I practice a religion that believes in worshiping nature, but I'm a gay female aspie. On top of that I live in the bible belt...'

I'm straight, theistic, and living near Los Angeles, so I think I can relate.

Weird, huh?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 8:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
LizzyR wrote:
I feel like I am fully trapped and being buried alive. Not only do I practice a religion that believes in worshiping nature, but I'm a gay female aspie. On top of that I live in the bible belt...'

I'm straight, theistic, and living near Los Angeles, so I think I can relate.

Weird, huh?

Haha interesting.

Anyways,OP, why don't you move? You're 21, find a sh!tty job and pack your bags.