Has the LGBT community become a deranged cult?

Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 2:24 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
[Mod]

A very firm reminder: WrongPlanet is opposed to homophobic and transphobic bigotry. It is particularly unwelcome in this subforum, which is explicitly a pro-LBGTQ+ space. While some degree of discussion around controversial topics is healthy, this does not extend to tolerance of unadulterated bigotry, and some posts have certainly crossed that line.
I totally agree with you in spirit and wish your sentiments were reality.

But more and more lesbians are going anti-trans
And trans-medicalists(truscum) are anti-non-binary
And gay men abandoning identity politics and doing there own thing
The LGBTQ protective umbrella does not exist in reality
Every identity in the LGBTQ is going to have to find there own protective umbrella and advocates,the walls have crumbled on Alpha-bet city.

I do wish I was wrong,sad indeed.

As a non-binary person myself, I find it hilarious how some people can get their panties in a wad about non-binary individuals.

I'm just sitting here, minding my own business, and being non-binary. Some folks seriously need to chill.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 3:20 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
... I'm just sitting here, minding my own business, and being non-binary...

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 4:33 pm

There is nothing wrong with being gay or bi. There is nothing wrong with being binary trans or non-binary. There is nothing wrong with having additional representation in the media to before when there was only 1 positive character. There is nothing inherently wrong with being different - unless that 'different' is harmful to others, for eg paedophiles and murderers are hopefully different to most people.

I find offline things are normal. I'm trans and bi myself. A lot of my offline friends are some form of LGBT.

I find people online annoying. Not everyone. People who are on twitter all day and never tweet about anything other than their sexuality or gender. That is annoying, introspected and if they keep seeking out homophobes/transphobes, probably not very healthy.

The internet seems to encourage even NTs to obsess over things. Esp to do with identity. I don't think that's a good idea, I'd rather people got hobbies for eg. Even I worry about what I say in case someone takes it the wrong way - but only online.

I can be in a progressive space offline and for eg say (true anecdote) 'she... I mean they' and my friend who's non-binary can be fine with that. Some people online would take offence if you accidentally misgendered them then apologised.

Even the transphobes and homophobes are probably a lot more well rounded people offline. Online, they obsess over something they might hate or (at best) don't understand. At least one demographic they hate/don't understand. That's not healthy. They'd be better off getting hobbies, too.

I wish JKR would focus her energies into destigmatising single mothers, working on domestic violence campaigns and raising money for poor people in Scotland rather than on this trans thing she's got worked up about. Or that she'd just throw herself into writing novels which have nothing to do with trans stuff. But that's the internet - it keeps feeding obsessions back at people. You need to be really careful over it.

It starts to feel like me as an aspie has more of a wide range of interests than some NTs. And that doesn't fit right with me. You're more than just your tribe.

Me and those LGBT friends? We talk about media we like. We talk about art we create. We talk about politics - not just LGBT or identity politics. We talk about relationships (which yes fits into LGBT but love is love, breakups are breakups, crushes are crushes). We talk to each other and to cis het people and in groups where there's a mixture and we don't really think about this stuff unless it's relevant.

It's why I left 'SJW' twitter but still talk about being part of the community if it happens to come up on other social media platforms or irl. I talk about it in passing. I don't obsess over it. Obsessing over your identity or someone else's isn't healthy imo.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 4:41 pm

KT67 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with being gay or bi. There is nothing wrong with being binary trans or non-binary. There is nothing wrong with having additional representation in the media to before when there was only 1 positive character...
But 'Hollywood' often gets it wrong just for the sake of drama or comedy.  Not every gay man lisps and flits around, not every gay woman dresses and acts like a lumberjack, and not every trans person presents the ideal physical form of their trans-sex.

Sure, there are a very few real-life examples that can be used to 'justify' the stereotypes; but just as a gratuitous sex scene does nothing to advance a plot, so too does gratuitous sexuality (of any kind) do nothing to enhance a scene ... unless a police drama needs an "oppressed victim" to establish the storyline.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 9:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
But 'Hollywood' often gets it wrong just for the sake of drama or comedy.  Not every gay man lisps and flits around, not every gay woman dresses and acts like a lumberjack, and not every trans person presents the ideal physical form of their trans-sex.

Sure, there are a very few real-life examples that can be used to 'justify' the stereotypes; but just as a gratuitous sex scene does nothing to advance a plot, so too does gratuitous sexuality (of any kind) do nothing to enhance a scene ... unless a police drama needs an "oppressed victim" to establish the storyline.

Stereotypes, or tropes, are just an easy language to use in media.

I am a little curious by what you refer to as gratuitous sexuality doing nothing for a scene. At what point does sexuality reach gratuitous levels? Because I think that sexuality can be important for characters and scenes.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Oct 2020, 12:51 am

I like the way Star Trek: Discovery portrayed a gay couple: their morning routine of shaving next to each other, one of them loving opera and the other loving how his partner loves opera but not opera itself... just a loving, intimate couple, without overt sexualization.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 2:02 am

I think the LGBT community has been hijacked by those with a agenda other than the original intentions.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 3:22 am

StayFrosty wrote:
I think the LGBT community has been hijacked by those with a agenda other than the original intentions.

Very true. It's always the most vocal minority which make the whole bunch look bad though.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 12:10 pm

StayFrosty wrote:

I don't think there's an agenda or that there were initial intentions.

People are just people.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 12:16 pm

Nothing wrong with 'gratuitous sexuality' in a scene. Cis het guys get that kind of thing appealed to them all the time, random character turns up in a lapdancing club for eg.

Just make sure you give the thing an age rating (or American equivalent so like make it pg13 or whatever's above that) so kids don't see it.

I've noticed (I don't watch a lot of sexual stuff but watch a lot of horror series) that netflix has started doing that. I really like that. In my day, TV shows didn't really have age ratings apart from 'after the watershed' vaguely meaning 'for grown ups'. It was just movies that did.

And I have the same standards as for cis het people when it comes to showing 'sexual' stuff around kids. I coped with Gary Sparrow kissing a woman he wasn't into to distract attention on Goodnight Sweetheart, so kids can handle two women kissing for the sake of something other than love on shows nowadays. It's the same thing. Kissing is fine, hugging is fine, beyond that then it should have an age rating - regardless of who it's between.

CretaceousDune
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2020, 3:06 am

My suggestion: stop listening to alt-right commentary. Your post does appear to be intentionally inflammatory.

CretaceousDune
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2020, 3:08 am

Nades wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:

Very true. It's always the most vocal minority which make the whole bunch look bad though.

Hmmmmm...........what agenda? What vocal minority?

robotrecall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: In a floating candy house with a flying pet unicorn

15 Nov 2020, 11:36 am

StayFrosty wrote:

^This

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 11:39 am

Nades wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:

In this case it's more that a vocal minority fought for the rights which the entire community now benefits from. In who's eyes do they look bad (except for the same people who would always disapprove of non-het orientations and non-cis gender identities)?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う