Page 3 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

19 Feb 2021, 11:31 am

Off-topic but so many of the cards I see seem to be about alcohol. As a non-drinker it seems strange for me to send a card with some version of "Wohoo get bladdered!" on it.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 2:37 pm

OutsideView wrote:
Off-topic but so many of the cards I see seem to be about alcohol. As a non-drinker it seems strange for me to send a card with some version of "Wohoo get bladdered!" on it.

Yeah, that does seen strange. Like, surely people would know you don't drink and so wouldn't send you cards with drinking references? Or is this a 'males = drinking' thing?

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

19 Feb 2021, 3:22 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
Like, surely people would know you don't drink and so wouldn't send you cards with drinking references?

Ah sorry, I meant it would be weird for me to send one but I have trouble finding ones that aren't about drinking (or super gender stereotype ones - don't think I know anyone who likes racing cars or fishing) :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 3:29 pm

Fnord's List of Stereotypical Gender Roles for Men

The Stereotypical Male...

... can only cook over an open fire.

... drinks beer like it was water.

... skis or snowboards, but never both.

... has a huge collection of guns, knives, or both.

... is hypnotized by power tools.

... is fixated on women's breasts.

... plays chess or poker, but never both.

... likes to blow things up or shoot them.

... has at least one tattoo.

... lifts weights, jogs, or both.

... is obsessed with working on anything mechanical.

... will ignore his wife's labor pains to watch his favorite team win.

... can start a fire with two sticks, a ball of twine, and some kindling.

... can throw a punch that will knock you into next week.

... owns a a dartboard, a pool cue, and a skateboard.

... could pilot a boat before he could drive a car.

... learned to drive a car by driving a tractor.

... has both a fishing and hunting license.

... cannot resist a challenge to a road race.

... owns a bowling-ball and a pair of bowling shoes.

... can whittle an animal figure from a random block of wood.

... likes smoking cigars and drinking whisky at the same time.

... likes dogs, but not cats.

... can make anything with the right tools and materials.

... never needs to read the instructions.

... takes to outdoor camping as his second nature.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 3:32 pm

OutsideView wrote:
NaturalEntity wrote:
Like, surely people would know you don't drink and so wouldn't send you cards with drinking references?

Ah sorry, I meant it would be weird for me to send one but I have trouble finding ones that aren't about drinking (or super gender stereotype ones - don't think I know anyone who likes racing cars or fishing) :D

Ah, I see.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 3:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
Fnord's List of Stereotypical Gender Roles for Men

The Stereotypical Male...

... is fixated on women's breasts.

Oh man. There's one game that I like that really brings this point home. It's my least favourite aspect of the game...
Here's a video essay on it if you're interested: link

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 3:43 pm

OutsideView wrote:

Greeting cards are weird.

Also how absolutely normalised drinking is is odd to me.

People sound like they have drinking problems when they're on twitter saying how hard it will be to give up drinking for lent. If you (generic you) can't go from Ash Wednesday to Good Friday only drinking once a week (Sunday exemption), go to a doctor cos that's a problem...

I think in light of my new 'Edwardian gentleman' persona I've kind of adopted since moving here, I'm going to buy blank cards, create personalised images to go on them and write more - and more heartfelt - than the typical cards write. I feel like people would appreciate that. Bear in mind I only ever send these cards to family.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 3:54 pm

KT67 wrote:
Also how absolutely normalised drinking is is odd to me.

People sound like they have drinking problems when they're on twitter saying how hard it will be to give up drinking for lent. If you (generic you) can't go from Ash Wednesday to Good Friday only drinking once a week (Sunday exemption), go to a doctor cos that's a problem...

Really??? That's a thing??

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 3:55 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
KT67 wrote:
Also how absolutely normalised drinking is is odd to me. People sound like they have drinking problems when they're on twitter saying how hard it will be to give up drinking for lent. If you (generic you) can't go from Ash Wednesday to Good Friday only drinking once a week (Sunday exemption), go to a doctor cos that's a problem...
Really??? That's a thing??
Yes, alcoholism is a "thing".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 4:02 pm

Yeah I knew alcoholism was a thing, I meant the widespread normalisation of unhealthy drinking. Apologies for not clarifying that earlier.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 4:10 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
Yeah I knew alcoholism was a thing, I meant the widespread normalisation of unhealthy drinking. Apologies for not clarifying that earlier.
Some studies have referred to "the widespread normalization of unhealthy drinking" -- also known as "Social Drunkeness" -- as America's hidden epidemic.  Some studies also claim that 1 in 5 Americans is an alcoholic, while others place it at 1 in 20 (so ... 5 to 20 percent).  I am told that similar claims can be made for Europe, Japan, and Australia.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 4:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
NaturalEntity wrote:
Some studies have referred to "the widespread normalization of unhealthy drinking" -- also known as "Social Drunkeness" -- as America's hidden epidemic.  Some studies also claim that 1 in 5 Americans is an alcoholic, while others place it at 1 in 20 (so ... 5 to 20 percent).  I am told that similar claims can be made for Europe, Japan, and Australia.

Oh wow, I was totally unaware this was a widespread and studied thing!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 4:29 pm

Fnord wrote:
People have expressed shock when I have not only prepared a nice sit-down supper for six, but cleaned up and washed the dishes afterward.  "Women's work"?  Not in my house!

You make it sound like this is unusual, these days.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 4:29 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
Fnord wrote:
NaturalEntity wrote:
Oh wow, I was totally unaware this was a widespread and studied thing!
Blame it on the "Rule 34" of science: "If it exists, there is research on it."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 4:30 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
People have expressed shock when I have not only prepared a nice sit-down supper for six, but cleaned up and washed the dishes afterward.  "Women's work"?  Not in my house!
You make it sound like this is unusual, these days.
It is, among people of my generation (those whom I know, at least).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 4:31 pm

magz wrote:
Depilation.
Why is one gender so pressed on getting rid of natural body hair and the other is not?

A lot of people don't think body hair looks good on either sex.