Page 5 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2012, 6:41 pm

Yes, if it's fast and/or complex enough to be interesting. I listened to a bit of drum 'n' bass and "IDM" before I was aware of dubstep, so I like dubstep that sounds somewhat similar, but heavily distorted, with incidental vocal samples, bass drops and rubato sections. If it's only half-time kick-snare 4-beat rhythms, a wobble bass, hoovers and some guy yelling some inane crap to warn me of a bass drop that's supposedly going to make my head explode (I listened to thrash and death metal for pretty much all of the second half of my teens, you'll have to try a LOT harder than that to achieve cranial combustion with me, son), then no.

I like a lot of the stuff that's played on the di.fm dubstep channel. I like the occasional Skrillex tune, but some of his stuff bores the hell out of me.

Other electronic genres I like are D'n'B, "IDM" (as mentioned), techno, psytrance, acid techno, sometimes ambient and other trance.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 6:53 pm

I figure dubstep actually has a lot of mainstream appeal, as it's the least "gay" of all techno music, it tries to be really masculine and "grimy" and whatever. Lots of people that otherwise don't listen to EDM listen to dubstep, as it's acceptable music to listen to now, basically once in a while an electronic music trend comes around here in the states where people are like "HAHAHA ITS TOTALLY NOT GAY TO LISTEN TO THIS SPECIFIC TYPE OF TECHNO" and they do. A few years ago it was stuff like The Chemical Brothers, and now it's dubstep. Basically, it's just a rehearsal of songs like Prodigy's "Smack my b***h Up" just for 2011 instead of 2001.

As far as what Ishkur said about it, under "Big Beat" genre, he wrote:

Quote:
Ahh, Big Beat. This is the genre that finally made the homophobic frat house crowd finally accept that p**** electronic music at their Saturday night kegger parties. I mean, they still thought it was gay, but not as gay as that fa***t trance s**t. Its curious nickname, Amyl House, is apparently a localized term in the music's origin (England) named after the tendancy for youths to dance to the stuff while huffing amyl-nitrate. Poppers. Paint thinner. Leather polish. Yeah, sounds just like something frats would do, too. This was the spearpoint genre of the "electronica" wave of music, and when it took a nosedive, so did this.

So I think this is what dubstep is doing now.

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2012, 7:14 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I figure dubstep actually has a lot of mainstream appeal, as it's the least "gay" of all techno music, it tries to be really masculine and "grimy" and whatever. Lots of people that otherwise don't listen to EDM listen to dubstep, as it's acceptable music to listen to now, basically once in a while an electronic music trend comes around here in the states where people are like "HAHAHA ITS TOTALLY NOT GAY TO LISTEN TO THIS SPECIFIC TYPE OF TECHNO" and they do. A few years ago it was stuff like The Chemical Brothers, and now it's dubstep. Basically, it's just a rehearsal of songs like Prodigy's "Smack my b***h Up" just for 2011 instead of 2001.

Quote:
Ahh, Big Beat. This is the genre that finally made the homophobic frat house crowd finally accept that p**** electronic music at their Saturday night kegger parties. I mean, they still thought it was gay, but not as gay as that fa***t trance sh**. Its curious nickname, Amyl House, is apparently a localized term in the music's origin (England) named after the tendancy for youths to dance to the stuff while huffing amyl-nitrate. Poppers. Paint thinner. Leather polish. Yeah, sounds just like something frats would do, too. This was the spearpoint genre of the "electronica" wave of music, and when it took a nosedive, so did this.

Agreed.

I never understood the appeal of The Prodigy's Fat of the Land album. It had distorted guitars and naughty words, but the songs were boring, repetitive and un-creative - everything that was supposed to be "wrong" about "techno". Other artists did this combination much better than The Prodigy did.

By contrast, I found the first two albums by The Prodigy to be quite interesting and creative.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 11:00 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
CyborgUprising wrote:
I'm not horribly interested in Dubstep. I like Industrial, EBM and Elektro/Electro. Bands like Aslan Faction, Tactical Sekt, Dunkelwerk, einstürzende Neubauten, Feindflug, Aghast View and Front 242 sound much more appealing to me.

This sounds more like me. I like Einstürzende Neubauten and Kraftwerk.

Great to see somebody else in the same boat.

houseofpanda
Raven
Raven

26 Jun 2012, 1:34 am

1000Knives wrote:
Quote:
Ahh, Big Beat. This is the genre that finally made the homophobic frat house crowd finally accept that p**** electronic music at their Saturday night kegger parties. I mean, they still thought it was gay, but not as gay as that fa***t trance sh**. Its curious nickname, Amyl House, is apparently a localized term in the music's origin (England) named after the tendancy for youths to dance to the stuff while huffing amyl-nitrate. Poppers. Paint thinner. Leather polish. Yeah, sounds just like something frats would do, too. This was the spearpoint genre of the "electronica" wave of music, and when it took a nosedive, so did this.

Sounds to me like Ishkur's opinion has absolutely nothing to do with a genre of music, but a small sampling of people following that genre. And not to mention, the small sampling of people who make the genre look as bad as possible when correlated together. I don't buy crap like this. I live in Wisconsin and I first heard dubstep THIS YEAR in January when I was watching a video for a new MIDI guitar; a demo that played a Skrillex song to show what the midi guitar could do. I am NOT the exception. Not everyone is a burnt-out homophobe just because of the style of music they listen to.

Or I guess all blacks are racist because they listen to rap, all country fans are sexist because of the subtle undertones, etc...? I'm so angry right now because I listen to metal. And therefore I also LOVE cocaine. Oh wait, that's 80's new wave. Er, wait... how does this work exactly? I mean, I can make s**t up too, right?

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2012, 5:04 pm

houseofpanda wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
Quote:

Sounds to me like Ishkur's opinion has absolutely nothing to do with a genre of music, but a small sampling of people following that genre.

That's all he represented it as. His comment is about the effect "Big Beat" had on some people, in the form of "This is the x that made y do z". He didn't say Big Beat sucked because the homophobic frat crowd liked it.

houseofpanda
Raven
Raven

26 Jun 2012, 6:47 pm

Australien wrote:
houseofpanda wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
Quote:

Sounds to me like Ishkur's opinion has absolutely nothing to do with a genre of music, but a small sampling of people following that genre.

That's all he represented it as. His comment is about the effect "Big Beat" had on some people, in the form of "This is the x that made y do z". He didn't say Big Beat sucked because the homophobic frat crowd liked it.

"If only I had some dubstep, I could coke up and steal a car. But I don't have any dubstep, so my plans for tonight are f****d. Guess I'll just sit around innocently watching softcore on youtube."

Nothing makes "y do z." Y wanted to do Z anyway, and if Y needed an excuse to do Z, Y would've found something else for Ishkur to blame it on, had dubstep not come along.

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2012, 2:44 am

houseofpanda wrote:
Australien wrote:
houseofpanda wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
Quote:

"If only I had some dubstep, I could coke up and steal a car. But I don't have any dubstep, so my plans for tonight are f****. Guess I'll just sit around innocently watching softcore on youtube."

Nothing makes "y do z." Y wanted to do Z anyway, and if Y needed an excuse to do Z, Y would've found something else for Ishkur to blame it on, had dubstep not come along.

I didn't say that what Ishkur said was factually or logically true, I said that he made a comment explicitly about his interpretation of the way a certain subset of "Big Beat" listeners responded to it, as opposed to a comment about the quality or value of "Big Beat".

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 5:34 pm

houseofpanda wrote:
I don't find Skrillex's music boring though; just the opposite. I listen to a lot of dubstep on last.fm and a lot of it just drolls on and on for what feels like an eternity with nothing happening. Skrillex has a verse, chorus, bridge, etc in every song, so I hear a change. Something happens. I don't know why people say Skrillex is boring when everything else out there is absolutely mundane.

It takes more than
Quote:
a verse, chorus, bridge, etc in every song
and hearing change to entertain me. It takes things like skill (something Skrillex totally lacks as far as I am concerned - I've used the same program as him - Ableton Live - and it requires little to no musical skill or talent to make songs like his, one must simply learn how to use the program), the ability to tell a story with your music (not talking about there being words to it), improvisation (again totally lacking in Skrillex's music), and the list goes on.

If everything you hear is boring and mundane, then search more. And if you enjoy Skrillex there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just trying to explain why I don't, and why the reason you like him does not work for me.

I'm also a musician who does a lot of live performances (every single week, often multiple times) - and so for me a big part of enjoying a musician is knowing they can perform live. I also like to enjoy their live performances, of course - same for the recordings of live performances.

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jun 2012, 6:43 pm

My NT friends like dubstep alot.... Honestly i can't say i'm a fan of it... just seems like a passing fad to me.

As an aspie, I prefer neo classical metal and classical music

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 8:49 pm

i love dubstep. i see colours when i listen to music. thus far dubstep has been the best music visually. and the sound makes my brain feel...calm.

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2012, 5:45 pm

I like the older stuff; Skream, Benga, Kode9, DMZ, Burial... but I love Doctor P, Borgore, Excision, Datsik, Skrillex, Funtcase, Bassnectar etc. I've been into dubstep since 2006, when it was just a darker version of 2step garage.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 5:47 pm

Kinme wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAS5F8vs6yE[/youtube]

I like that one. Does anyone like these ones-

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQoGB1N4Nwo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdjK-8udiSc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qavey27Kc[/youtube]

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 6:40 pm

Sounds like dubstep drive me crazy really bad and really fast, maybe if you drown it with heavy guitar or something then I might be able to handle it.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 8:14 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVlwaNcYOc[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xe2wiUxos[/youtube] 8) I feel like driving in a souped up import late at night and cruise through Tokyo at 3 in the morning!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 8:16 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecqRegpWoXI[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList