Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:35 am

Well. I'm ok at singing, though I make *a lot* of mistakes. People seem to enjoy listening to me, but perhaps they are lying. Or too easily impressed.
Here's some of my singing, anyhow - http://www.4shared.com/audio/wj3g0ijc/laulua.html (yes I am aware of the many mistakes in there)
Another problem I have is I can't really practice at all atm...I can only practice if there's no one around to hear me and there's always someone else at home. :?
It's hard for me to learn new and better ways to sing because I don't naturally pay attention to the things happening in my body when I sing and because I'd have to pay attention to so many different things at the same time and I can't do that :(

David23
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2011, 2:37 pm

I love to sing songs that I listen to, but not exceptionally well :P

But I Can sound exactly like a Bee Gee when I sing Stayin' Alive 8) ... I'm serious. 8O

My Tweets sometimes get out of hand... Disregard any offensive ones... It's all in good fun/ludicrousness ;)

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 7:12 am

I do pretty ok with singing ... was in bands and stuff. For me, it's all textures. My whole life I liked to make weird sounds with my voice. I have a 3 1/2 octave range, and am very very loud singer, can scream in falsetto and hit pitches doing it (have also broken 3 microphones and some club PAs because I'm too loud sometimes.) Can also sing something comletely different from what I'm playing on guitar, even during hyperactive guitar solo.

Oh, I couldn't make my voice sound the way I wanted it to until I was 29 or 30, though. Until then it was nasally, squeaky and british sounding. Now it sounds like my speaking voice.

But yeah, it depends on your sensory focus. If you are AS obsessed with anything, you will excell at it eventually.

Um...except understanding your band mates and communicating with them. That part sucks.

AWD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2013, 9:50 pm

I sing in Church on the worship team, and have received positive feedback on my singing many times. I would characterise my singing voice as plain (I don't do girlish twirls & other decor with my voice), honest, fairly loud, and accurate. I enjoy singing with 2 - 3 others as in the worship team, especially if someone does harmony singing - that makes it really cool and interesting to sing, to "fit it in" towards the harmony. I'm usually the strongest vocal on the melody voice, almost all others who sing on the team are soft singers, so my singing is quite dominant.

I usually ignore the audience (get a bit spooked if I suddenly pay attention to the fact that people are looking at me and the other singers). I visualise the intonation plus see images in my mind that illustrate "figures" in the lyrics and enable me to focus the sound I want to make. That helps a lot:-) but I have never had any trouble hitting notes accurately. I always wear one half ear plug in the ear towards the band, because I find it difficult to sing and focus on singing if I can't hear my own voice or am in pain due to loud sounds, so I try to manage my noise sensitivity that way.

I hope this is helpful:-)

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2013, 10:16 pm

i would love to be able to sing but my voice cannot hold a note to any degree :/

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 1:03 am

My mother has told me many times I have a good singing voice, and I was in a choir during junior high school. Sadly, my voice changed from tenor to baritone, which means my range is a lot more restricted. :(

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 11:43 am

I've have been told that I sing really well by just about everyone except my older brother, who once said something to me that would have made Simon Cowell tell him to lighten up: "Someone needs to hear your singing the same way they need to hear that they have cancer".

Well, I don't think I have what it takes to a professional, but I can carry a tune, plus I'm good at memorizing song lyrics and don't have a huge fear of performing in front of others. The one social activity I actually enjoy doing!

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 3:36 pm

Have you had singing lessons?

I've had lessons where I was taught vocal and breathing exercises. Singing has alot to do with the way you breath. Rather than breathing into the top of your chest, you have to filll your belly, so to speak and open your mouth wide and let the air out slowly through your mouth, not your nose.

Have you tried looking up vocal warmup and singing exercises on youtube. This might help you work on techniques to loosen up your throat and shoulders and open up your vocal chords.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 8:35 pm

It seems to depend on your own specific quirks - I'm a natural mimic. I was in the cathedral choir as a boy, and have perfect pitch (allegedly) - however as an adult my voice falls between octaves so I make neither a good tenor or bass classical singer. Also agree with hurtloam - learning how to breathe really helps.

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

musician_enigma
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2013, 3:35 am

I would consider myself a good and constantly improving singer.

jloome
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2013, 7:47 pm

I sing okay. (LoL, I just posted this video somewhere else but it fits).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMO22JkPhGY[/youtube]

ExceladonCity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 11:44 am

I hate my singing voice, but I enjoy singing, so I do it anyway. My vocal range would be perfect for the 80's; I'm in a similar vocal range as Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode) and Roland Orzabal (Tears For Fears).

jmoney
Raven
Raven

23 Dec 2013, 3:24 am

XJ220RACER
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2013, 11:52 pm

My voice is almost always the first thing people notice about me...it's very distinctive and unlike anyone else most people have ever met. Kind of a nasally and innocent Rain Man voice but spoken slowly and relaxed - the California influence. I think I sound exactly, and I mean exactly, like Brian Molko from Placebo. Another weird thing is it seems like most people I've just casually met from a non-Anglophone country are sure that I'm not American, and ask if I'm from England.

A lot of people laugh at my voice but I'm still very talkative and I've had a considerable amount of people tell me they want me to be a singer. I really want to learn how to sing too, I do sing along to iTunes a lot, I really want to be in a band as a singer and maybe keyboardist/synth player.

Craig Nicholls of The Vines (one of my favorite bands) is a diagnosed Aspie. His singing voice is actually nothing atypical of that kind of rock, and his lyrics have never struck me as Aspie-anthemic at all, but his style is what sets him apart - loud, messy, emotional, completely off in his own world - and this is by rock star standards. His speaking voice, from what I've heard, is a lot different from his singing voice too. It has that nasal and innocent sound, juxtaposed onto an Australian accent. Sometimes, people's singing voice sounds way different from their speaking voice.

BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2013, 1:05 am

I have a question for those in the know: Is singing a skill like swimming or tennis or is it a "gift". The choir director who rejected me insists that "matching pitches consistently" is a gift and I guess God decided not to give it to me.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 12:05 pm

You have to have a login to see it, but there's a video on Nico Nico Douga (www.nicovideo.jp), in which the poster's autistic little sister beautifully sings a song--the poster identifies her as autistic in the title and in the description says that many things are difficult for her due to her autism. The song is in Japanese.

For anyone with a login, this is the link:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/nm13693792