Page 2 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 11:21 am

^^ Song For my Father *and* Rikki Don't Lose That Number!

Aggh, when the Steely Dan song first came out it drove me NUTS, because I kept expecting to hear the other tune after the first bar, even though my "rational" mind knew that Top 40 radio wouldn't be playing jazz. Now, it's hard for me to think of one without the other. That's not an earworm; I'm not sure what it is.

It being the day it is, I had to go get this. The fidelity isn't great, but having Torme do the intro is worth it.

Edit in: Zappa was a genius, and I wish he were still around.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 8:07 pm

I am enjoying all of your posts, so much! HighLlama, do you happen to know who the artist is on the initial Zappa piece you posted? I like it so much! I will have to do some exploring, as I wasnt aware of Jazz covers of his music. I absolutely, love Bill Evens! Thanks for the wonderful pieces you've shared!

Esmerelda, my father is responsible for my appreciation (fanaticism) of Jazz, as well, as it would permiate through our house, 24/7, from the time I was born. My father turned me on to most of my favorite Jazz artists, of which came out of the 50's and 60's.

Thanks for sharing Holiday cheer. I hope you've had a nice Christmas day! I'm Jewish, but, not particularly religious, nor opposed to receiving holiday cheer of all sorts! : )

Thanks for all the wonderful music shared thus far !

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 8:44 pm

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 9:12 pm

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 9:28 pm

Kamasi Washington's Jazz rendition of Debussy's Clair de Lune is exquisite...

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 9:40 pm

One of my favorite artists (and albums) of all time...

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 10:06 pm

I'll never forget where I first heard this. This is the full album.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 10:13 pm

Full album again.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 10:14 pm

(guess who I've been listening to all day)

Last edited by Esmerelda Weatherwax on 25 Dec 2017, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 10:20 pm

Title cut from the album.

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 10:22 pm

Listening to your first Joe Sample post. It makes me think of Lee Ritenour's Feel The Night.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 10:42 pm

Joe Sample did keyboards with Joni Mitchell - Hissing of Summer Lawns, I think. I'll have to check that.

I was going to put up some Ritenour tomorrow - Harlequin*, Portrait, Wes Bound, and ColorRIT, if I can find the full albums - if not, choice goodies from each. If you would like to post any or all of them, or others, before I get to it, feel free!

*Also was planning to put up some or all of Dave Grusin's Mountain Dance. I am a sucker for Thanksong in particular.

Also I hope you like Mike Stern :-)

Edit in: oopsie and apologies on the Christmas stuff. My mother's mother was Jewish, I know better. I really should be more attentive.

Edit edit in in: Llama asked if jazz was my passion - thought about it, realized that actually, jazz is my love, but sharing - give and take - is my passion. (I suspect that a lot of us Aspie types are wired to be sharing/cooperation junkies.)

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 10:59 pm

I did not know that Joe Sample played on Hissing of Summer Lawns. I have multiple favorite artists, but, Joni Mitchell is probably at the top of my list. Along with Genesis (earlier work). Not that that necessarily, means anything, but, it's nice to have others to converse with on the topic of music...

I have not heard of Mike Stern. I love discovering artists/ music, new to my ears, so, I will be looking most forward to your posts! No rush, of course... :)

edit: Regarding your edit pertaining to Christmas, I thought it was a nice sentiment and it didn't bother me at all.

Indeed! Sharing music, is one of my strongest passions, as well!

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 11:26 pm

I suspect my laptop will be on most of tomorrow playing everything you and Llama have posted that I haven't had time to listen to yet! Looking forward to it. There are hours of good stuff here already.

And thank you for putting up some Coltrane. I don't have any CDs of his music, and I need to fix that. (There is an incredible used book/used CD store very near my home. Yum, yum.)

Mike Stern is, um, rock jazz? Like if Jimmy Page played jazz. Really. I think I posted You Never Know on another thread, so I'll see if I can find it, you'll see what I mean. Pyrotechnic glissandos.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 4:36 am

Kelby wrote:
HighLlama, do you happen to know who the artist is on the initial Zappa piece you posted? I like it so much! I will have to do some exploring, as I wasnt aware of Jazz covers of his music. I absolutely, love Bill Evens! Thanks for the wonderful pieces you've shared!

You're welcome :) The Zappa posts are him and whoever his band was at the time.

I really enjoyed the version of "Claire de Lune" and Old Places, Old Faces.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 4:51 am