Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 6 of 45 [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 45  Next

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 11:23 am

I have written lot of poetry and quite a a few articles for an on line magazine but real writing of fiction eludes me as I find difficulty putting myself into the minds of characters. I frankly do not seem to have the emotional outlook of other people and that brings difficulties.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 11:32 am

Just because I personally don't do well socially doesn't mean that I don't understand the rules. I just find it impossible to follow them most of the time.

I've written two novels in the past year and let a few online friends read them. Everyone who has responded was impressed by them and enjoyed the stories. So, cool.

Course, the first book is about a boy who turns into a wall . . . hmm. :)

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Sepulchrave
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Nov 2007, 2:12 pm

Oddly enough, I think I discovered Asperger's Syndrome after having written a semi-autobiographical short story about a socially ret*d boy named Asper who can't ride a bike. I had originally named him after Hans Asper, a Swiss painter, and I'm not sure if I had read something about AS somewhere and forgotten it or if it's a huge coincidence.

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 2:40 pm

hyperbolic wrote:
I have written some science fiction stories before, ranging from short stories to attempts at a novel. Once, I left a couple of my stories on a table in my dorm commons room to see if anyone would say something to me about them. No one did respond, so I can either believe no one read them or believe that they were terrible and those who may have read them didn't want to tell me that. Though school, work, and even my hours spent daily on WP have deterred me from starting any new writings of purely self-interest (except for one, a fictional treatise on the history of an mid-Atlantic island nation), I have considered that in the future, after I finish my computer science Bachelor's degree, I might write science fiction as a career. I would want to "test the waters" before jumping into science fiction writing, of course. One of my concerns about going into writing as a career, that is, with the intent to make money off of stories that are popular, is the fact that in most cases individuals with Asperger's Syndrome have difficulty in social interaction and, although it is by no means a requirement of social interaction that there be social interaction between or among any of the human characters, in much of the popular fiction today by such authors as John Gresham, David Brown, Nora Roberts, Stephen King, especially, and etc., it does play a very important role.

A question I have for you all is do you think that someone with Asperger's Syndrome can become a successful author even with his difficulties in social interaction, which may be reflected in his writing, especially in the dialogue?

Another question: Does anyone know of any successful writers who have or have been suspected to have Asperger's Syndrome?

EDIT: clarity

I'd like to see one of your Sci-fi short stories, I'm a big fan of Sci Fi :)

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2007, 5:57 pm

I've loved writing ever since I was little, used to work for a magazine and am now a columnist for the Big Idea (a creative community in New Zealand). I find mindmaps really useful for organising structure and planning: http://www.thebigidea.co.nz/article.php?sid=4580

I've also written a column on Indie Authors and self publishing: http://www.thebigidea.co.nz/article.php?sid=4817

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 8:27 pm

I have very little problem writing dialogue. I've watched too much TV and spent too many years listening to others dialogue for that :P

It took me a total of 2 months to write the book I'm currently editing. That was 2 years ago. I refuse to send it anywhere to anyone until I'm 110% satisfied with it.

I realize this is self-loathing behavior since I'm inclined to dissatisfaction with everything but *shrug*

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

26 Nov 2007, 9:17 pm

MsBehaviour wrote:
I've loved writing ever since I was little, used to work for a magazine and am now a columnist for the Big Idea (a creative community in New Zealand)

Ooo! Was it in Wellington??

I like Kipo in my story because of course, being Aspie, she finds it difficult to interact with others in the normal way (this is once she properly notices that she's different from everybody). She speaks using words such as do not, can not, I am, as opposed to don't, can't and I'm. She also uses unorthodox words in what she says. So instead of saying 'I don't think he'll get the ball in the hoop' she'll say 'I do not feel that he will be able to make the basketball to fall inside the basketball hoop'. Most other sentences will be much more articulate with assume, predict, consider and such getting into the mix.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 5:21 am

KBABZ wrote:
MsBehaviour wrote:
I've loved writing ever since I was little, used to work for a magazine and am now a columnist for the Big Idea (a creative community in New Zealand)

The magazine was in Bristol in the UK but I'm based in West Auckland now. I do get down to Welly every couple of months which is always fun. It's a great city, but the weather up here is much better. I need warmth and blue skies after too many cold British winters.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 5:33 am

MsBehaviour wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
MsBehaviour wrote:

The magazine was in Bristol in the UK but I'm based in West Auckland now. I do get down to Welly every couple of months which is always fun. It's a great city, but the weather up here is much better. I need warmth and blue skies after too many cold British winters.

Ahh. I ask because that's where I am and I'm an aspiring writer.

In a way
We all go there

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 6:20 am

KBABZ wrote:

What sort of writing do you want to do?

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 7:03 am

MsBehaviour wrote:
KBABZ wrote:

What sort of writing do you want to do?

Well I am currently writing a story I've had since I was in Intermediate school (which was about 5 years ago). It's a long story, and has two distinct sections; a Main and a Prologue. There are 3 books for the Prologue and 5 for the Main. The story is a strange mix of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars in terms of style, and I don't like to confine it to one genre. Rather, it has elements of all of these:

=Fantasy (only a little bit)
=Science Fiction
=Apocalyptic
=Comedy
=Romance

Of course it's not all of these all at the same time, rather it is situational. For instance, a character named Booger likes to crack jokes quite a bit (part of his character development is to learn to stop doing it so much, especially the offensive ones). I wrote these little blurbs for each section/book of the story, I can post them if you want.

In a way
We all go there

ixochiyo_yohuallan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 6:06 pm

Perhaps I've mentioned before that I and Julien-littleone (she's joined recently, though she doesn't post much because she's been busy with things) are writing a stream-of-consciousness story together. The other day, I was having some ideas for a series of new drawings, and it occurred to me that we might use them to illustrate our story. They wouldn't fit as examples of our characters' drawing - both our principal characters do have an artistic talent, but one is a strictly Realist/Impressionist painter while the other only does realistic, photographic sketches of animals, - but I thought that they could serve as a sort of commentary from the author, illustrating some of the strongest emotions in the story which perhaps can't fully put into words (i.e. "the author is a visual thinker and has run out of words at this point, so she felt she'd rather paint a picture" :) ). Once I formulated this idea to myself, it felt very engaging and now I can't let go of it.

What does everyone think? I thought that maybe we could start posting small bits of our writing along with the accompanying drawings, to show which drawing matches which place in the story, and see how it goes.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 5:29 pm

Unlike some of the posters in this forum, I use writing as a form of social interaction. This is akin to talking to myself. I do not expect an answer, but I do love to talk. I write poetry and short stories as a way of communicating an idea, only it is written much larger and longer than these comments. I am not very adept at conversaation, so there are a lot of monolgues in my writing. If people do not read or dislike what I have written, it is their prerogative to disregard it. We cannot like everything to which we are exposed.

vessel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2007, 6:00 am

sartresue wrote:
Unlike some of the posters in this forum, I use writing as a form of social interaction. This is akin to talking to myself. I do not expect an answer, but I do love to talk. I write poetry and short stories as a way of communicating an idea, only it is written much larger and longer than these comments. I am not very adept at conversaation, so there are a lot of monolgues in my writing. If people do not read or dislike what I have written, it is their prerogative to disregard it. We cannot like everything to which we are exposed.

For the longest time I posted on forums without caring if anyone responds, it was just a way for me to practice communicating and putting coherent sentences together, and to get something of my chest. Now, I can't get over how weird it feels to see people actually respond. I don't know why, but the fact that I can physically manipulate something around me is strange and hard to phathom, maybe because my AS has been pretty bad lately.

alchemist_girl
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2008, 8:07 pm

yes i do

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 2:50 pm

KBABZ wrote:

Funnily enough, the conversations are one of my favourite parts of writing, and the descriptions are my personal demon. Maybe someday we'll be able to credit each other's writing!

I struggle with conversation (mainly because my family has unnormal conversations, and I have no clue what "normal people" talk like), and LOVE descriptions, though I tend to do too much sometimes :D
I'm in a very hard writing program at my school (Which only 25 people get accepted out of 300 students who tried out), and it's a love hate relationship. I love writing, but because I have Aspergers, I struggle to meet the cursed deadlines that I have (I had to write an article with two interviews in two weeks, with all of my other homework, and I wasn't allow ANY extended time. It got into the Globe and Mail website though, so that made me happy)