Post your unpopular music-related opinions here

Page 6 of 29 [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 29  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 1:02 pm

Ministry's synthpop period was actually pretty good. I can't think of many other bands that went from playing synthpop, to industrial music, to thrash metal.

Also, synthpop and futurepop are awesome genres despite having the word "pop" in their names. For instance, this counts as "futurepop", yet it sounds NOTHING like the top40 crap I normally associate with pop music. If anything, this is basically EBM with symphonic touches and a vocal focus. Granted, this is a somewhat unusual example as it's more industrial and less trance-y than later examples of futurepop, but my point still stands.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 1:23 pm

Kate Bush's voice is too high-pitched for my liking.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 1:50 pm

I can't stand John Mayer's singing and I think he's kind of a prick.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 4:44 pm

Weird Al Yankovic is an annoying clown. :x

cthulhuhead
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2016, 4:17 pm

Slayer is still the best out of the Big Four, and always has been. Probably always will be.

The newer stuff put out by Metallica and MegaDeth is overrated.

Anthrax is a great band.

Slipknot's newer music is terrible and (mostly) lighter and more tame. Compare (Sic), Wait and Bleed, or Eyeless to Dead Memories or even Psychosocial.

Undertow and AEnima are the best albums by Tool.

Pop and Rap are stupid (just my opinion).

"NO."
-Weiss Schnee, Summing up her character.

"Instead of sweetheart, you can call me SIR."
-Yang Xaio Long, being a total BA.

-Discreetly hides book entitled "Ninjas of Love"...
Blake Belladona doesn't talk about that scene.

"Seeing new weapons is like meeting new people...only better..."
-Ruby Rose. Enough said.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 4:52 pm

I hate rap music. It'll never change because its subjects will always be: drugs, money, cars, and sex.

cthulhuhead
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2016, 5:27 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I hate rap music. It'll never change because its subjects will always be: drugs, money, cars, and sex.

Agreed. I cannot wrap my head around how so many of my peers find it to be enjoyable. It's a deal-breaker if a friend likes rap, hip-hop, pop, or that absurd dubstep that seems to be a trend.

"NO."
-Weiss Schnee, Summing up her character.

"Instead of sweetheart, you can call me SIR."
-Yang Xaio Long, being a total BA.

-Discreetly hides book entitled "Ninjas of Love"...
Blake Belladona doesn't talk about that scene.

"Seeing new weapons is like meeting new people...only better..."
-Ruby Rose. Enough said.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 5:31 pm

Rap is white people music.

See Deborah Harry of Blondie fame.

:wink:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 5:44 pm

cthulhuhead wrote:
Slayer is still the best out of the Big Four, and always has been. Probably always will be.

The newer stuff put out by Metallica and MegaDeth is overrated.

Anthrax is a great band.

Slipknot's newer music is terrible and (mostly) lighter and more tame. Compare (Sic), Wait and Bleed, or Eyeless to Dead Memories or even Psychosocial.

Undertow and AEnima are the best albums by Tool.

Pop and Rap are stupid (just my opinion).

In terms of technical proficiency, I agree. However, I think Metallica's "Master of Puppets" and "Ride the Lightning" are nearly untouchable in terms of overall songwriting.

Agreed. "Death Magnetic" sounded like a cash grab trying to appeal to Metallica's fans from their thrash days, and Megadeth's post 1990s stuff has been generally terrible. Dave Mustaine should have never become a born-again Christian.

Anthrax are pretty good, but I need to listen to them more. I did listen to a crapload of S.O.D when I was younger however, and it's one of their side projects.

I got into Slipknot after giving "People=S***" a listen, and while I think that particular song is kickass, I haven't heard much else by them that's been nearly as good or heavy. "Duality" is a classic though.

I like most of Tool's material, but I'll have to agree that AEnima is probably their best album. I wish they did more stuff like it.

I've tried getting into rap, partly because one of my friends is a huge fan, but it's just never really clicked with me that well. Like I'll find the occasional song I like, but other than that, it's not my thing.

Now, when it comes to pop, that's an interesting one because "pop music" is such a nebulous term. When people talk about "pop music", they generally mean crap like teen idols, boy bands, and whatever you call singers who generally don't write their own lyrics and sing over a background instrumental made by somebody else. Technically however, "pop" is just short for "popular music"; music that is radio friendly and accessible to casual listeners. This applies to a whole slew of different artists playing all sorts of different styles of music, so you can't really paint "pop music" all with the same brush. Going by this definition, Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus are pop (obviously), but so are The Beatles and Nirvana, and the latter two were light years ahead of the former two in terms of talent and creativity.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 11:33 pm

This might be an unpopular opinion just based on some users.

https://dayoldman.bandcamp.com/album/prolapsed-brainus

This album was recorded mostly live from Bobby's living room in 3 days, with minimal overdubs. Intentionally forgoing a polished sound for a living and raw feel. Themes include: Fear of modern living, Opting out of what's expected of us, and the bleak future of humanity.

Record how you want and if you want unpolished music, I say great job.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 3:10 am

^Referring to me? :wink:

And, artistically not to my taste, but that sounds perfectly fine.

When I say 'clean' and 'polished' I mean everything sounds clear and in the right place, and that album definitely has that - I especially like the drums and snare. The overdubbing gets a bit messy, but that's just artistic choice and I respect that. It adds character.

Very well recorded, actually.

I have found a new song to put on the top of my list of worst songs of all time: this poorly made electronic track:

^THIS is bad sound quality. Distorted, over-compressed, poorly EQed/balanced - the kick and bass is crushing everything else, and it's very 'muddy'.

If this easily gives you a headache, that's probably because it's awfully made.

If you want a more rock-oriented example, I prefer blink-182 after they 'sold-out' and upped their production over their old stuff like this:

^Unlike the electronic song, doesn't sound bad or unpleasant, but I don't think it's entertaining either. Their stuff from 2000 has more energy, you can feel the bass, hear the electric guitar scream, and the snares and drums really boom and punch. 'Time' is the closest song to that feeling.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 5:12 pm

I am saying my opinion is that an artist should have the decision whether they want a track messy and muddy. The music climate shouldn't decide how well produced music is. Look at Harsh Noise Wall. If it was up to people who don't like Lo-fi music HNW wouldn't exist.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 6:27 pm

Bon Jovi is a bad imitation of '70's hard rock.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 6:49 pm

Modern pop music is overcompressed, uncreative, monotonous garbage.

I'd rather get my teeth drilled than listen to dub step. It sounds the same, but at least the former is beneficial.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 8:49 pm

Owl City is underrated.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 8:58 pm

thewrll wrote:
I am saying my opinion is that an artist should have the decision whether they want a track messy and muddy. The music climate shouldn't decide how well produced music is. Look at Harsh Noise Wall. If it was up to people who don't like Lo-fi music HNW wouldn't exist.

I've heard of it before and heard a bit of other types of noise music.

I'm not against musical freedom, just that I find it more pleasing to my subjective tastes when music's made to the industry standards.

Nothing wrong with selling your non-conventional music either - noise music and lo-fi and such appeal to a niche market of dedicated listeners.

I listen to a bit of dark ambient as well, if you want to talk experimental music that breaks the mold.

I agree with choice on how one makes their music, but we'd have to agree to disagree on whether we can personally enjoy music that's made unconventionally (muddy, distorted, etc.) or not.