Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 3:15 pm

my new guitar came back from the shop...it's an old squier tele (originally butterscotch finish) which has been sprayed honda-angel pink by my dad's car workshop, then put back together and set up by a repair guy i know...

FEATURES:

- Custom Honda Angel Pink Colour
- Botched Fake "Fender" Logo printed on transfer paper (XD)
- New black domed control knobs (nice!)
- 3ply black Fender Esquire Scratch plate
- INCREDIBLE custom stacked humbucker in the BRIDGE of the tele! this thing is an insane metal machine! it does seem to have a wonderful clean sound though, and a bit of that tele "twang" ^.^

so, whaddya think? ^.^

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 7:18 pm

Gorgeous! I would love a guitar like this. Though I cant play the guitar. I would like a red grand piano.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 7:22 pm

I couldn't play this without questions being asked (obviously...;) but it's a good guitar. Used to have a Strat copy back in my yute...rock on.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:07 pm

Hopefully the paint wasn't laid on too thick, as paint/ lacquer dampens the resonant tone of guitar bodies. Too much paint will kill the tone of the instrument. Also, if you like the black pick uards, look around for reproduction bakelite pickguard as used by Fender from 1949 to early 1954.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 9:22 pm

will look great with your pink fishnets 8)

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 3:46 am

Fogman wrote:
Hopefully the paint wasn't laid on too thick, as paint/ lacquer dampens the resonant tone of guitar bodies. Too much paint will kill the tone of the instrument. Also, if you like the black pick uards, look around for reproduction bakelite pickguard as used by Fender from 1949 to early 1954.

it was done by a guy who has sprayed many guitars before, i think that in fact the original squier finish, was actually thicker paint wise than my new one ^.^

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Jun 2009, 4:27 am

drool Xanderbeanz! I'm don't like pink, but the shape of the guitar looks gnarly!

The former things have passed away."

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 5:58 am

yeah it's an acquired taste isn't it...looks great next to my blue strat, it's like i have a guitar for whenever i feel boyish or girly, lol x

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 10:00 am

Xanderbeanz wrote:
Fogman wrote:

it was done by a guy who has sprayed many guitars before, i think that in fact the original squier finish, was actually thicker paint wise than my new one ^.^

That's good then, A lot of modern guitars do tend to have the finish glopped on rather heavily. Old Fender guitars used to be dipped in sealer, then sprayed with primer, then the nitrocellulose based paint, followed by nitrocellulose clearcoat that was then buffed down. A lot of their old solid color guitars were actually blemished sunburst finishes that were sprayed with a solid color. Fender's Metallic finishes like Candy Apple Red and Lake Placid Blue guitars were sprayed silver over the primer and then sprayed with transparent dyed lacquer.

Last edited by Fogman on 11 Jun 2009, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 12:46 pm

thats fascinating stuff fog...so you mean that if, for example, one sanded down a lake placid blue strat (that's the famous one isn't it?) it'd be brown sunburst underneath?

i realised the photo was a bit dodgy so i took some more:

^.^

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 3:20 pm

Xanderbeanz wrote:
thats fascinating stuff fog...so you mean that if, for example, one sanded down a lake placid blue strat (that's the famous one isn't it?) it'd be brown sunburst underneath?^.^

Well, I wounld definately NOT sand down a pre-CBS Fender guitar to see the finish underneath, as the price on these in now WELL into middle five figure pricerange, IE, usually between $25k to $75k depending on the condition and the finish. --The Metallic finishes were definately the rarer finishes.

The rarest Stratocaster that I've ever seen was the 1965 Candy Apple Red strat with matching painted headstock and 'spaghetti' logo. Fender only made two of these, and A music store that I used to go to in Maine had one of them in 1985. This was before the 'Vintage Market' for guitars really took off, and you could find a 50's strat for the somewhat reasonable price of $1,500. They wanted the then unreasonable price of $5,000 for the Red Strat w/ matching painted headstock. --I shudder to think of the price that guitar would command in this day and age.

Lake Placid Blue was a finish that wasn't available in the 50's, but was available in the 1960's when Fender started making necks without the previous rear routed trussrod, (aka, 'Skunk Stripe' neck) and started making 'stripeless necks' that had a veneer fretboard, (usually rosewood with clay fret markers), which was also the time that Fender had progressed to a 3 color sunburst process (Yellow sealer/red,with black edge) while previous sunburst finishes were a two color process being yellow/brown sealer with black edge. Still though, I really wouldn't rule out Fender respraying a pre-58 2 tone burst that got left on a back shelf in their shop with a later color.

I don't know how common it was for Fender to store bodies for several years, but Gibson was notorious for using old stock bodies stored from the 50's and early 60's in the late 60's and early 70's. When Gibson reintroduced the Les Paul in 1968, a lot of the initial guitars were made from bodies that Gibson had left over when they stopped production of the original single cutaway LP's in 1960. Furthermore, I owned a mid 70's SG special that had an old style SG Jr. body from the mid 60's when they stopped production of that model.

Here's the differance between the two differant era's of Fender's sunburst finishes.

1955 Stratocaster w/ 2 color burst and Solid, rear routed maple neck

1958, first year of the 3 color Sunburst, note one piece rear routed maple neck with the walnut 'skunk stripe' covering the rear routed trussrod channel.

1961 Stratocaster with 3 color sunburst and Brazilian rosewood veneer fingerboard. Also note the very rare chrome plated string saddle cover on the tremolo block.

Here are some resprayed sunbursts.

1963 Strat w/ factory black respray over 3 color burst.

1961 triple (!) factory respray, Fiesta Red over Dakota Red over Sunburst. (Also note the lack of the 'Skunk Stripe' on the rosewood veneer capped neck)

FWIW, Here's linkage to the site that most of the photo's are on. --Scroll down to the 'Fender Section for these and more with some commentary on the factory resprayed blems.

Sephiroth_52
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2009, 8:23 pm

This is what my uncle plays:

A 1969 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Standard. I swear to god it weighs over 20 pounds.

And yes, it sounds as good as you think it does. lol 8)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 11:55 pm

Sephiroth_52 wrote:
This is what my uncle plays:

A 1969 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Standard. I swear to god it weighs over 20 pounds.

And yes, it sounds as good as you think it does. lol 8)

If you can see a small bit of the maple cap underneath the binding on the cutaway, and the bridge bolts are drilled directly into the wood instead of threaded metal retainers sunk into the body, chances are high that it's a legacy body left over from the 50's. Than again, if it's really heavy, it's probably a body that was made in the 60's, as most of the 50's Les Pauls, (including the '58 LP Jr. that I owned) were made of lightweight but rather hard Mahogany.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 4:24 pm

i'm guessing guitars is your "special interest" eh fogman? you're really an expert on the subject! do you own/play any vintage instruments?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 6:25 pm

Xanderbeanz wrote:
i'm guessing guitars is your "special interest" eh fogman? you're really an expert on the subject! do you own/play any vintage instruments?

Not right off, but in the past I've owned these:

1958 Gibson LP Jr.
1970's Gibson SG Special (the body was a leftover '60's era Melody Maker/ SG Jr.)
1970's Ibanez 'Lawsuit' Telecaster exact copy
1970's Hagstrom Swede
1982 Guild X-79
1982 Gibson LP Custom (then cheap. now quite expensive silver/black burst)
1984 Fender Esprit standard, sunburst top (Bought NOS in 1986, Greco/Hoshino/Ibanez only made about 100 in this configuration for Fender)
1980's Washburn inspired by a flame top 50's LP, allegedly it was a Washburn Sales Rep's guitar, so it was extra highly figured. (One of the biggest POS I ever owned, and the guitar that reaffirmed my opinion of Washburn guitars)

Some amps that I've owned:

c. 1968-1969 Sound City L100 Mk. 3 (Unlike their 120 Mk. 4's these really were designed and partly manufactured by Dave Reeves of Hiwatt)
1972 Orange OR80 halfstack
1980's Fender Twin II head, designed by Paul Rivera
1960's Lectrolab (Allegedly part of Supro/National)
1981 Marshall 4204 50 watt combo dated Oct. 1981 (transition era, last of the JMP's, made alongside the JCM800 series
1978 Marshall 4140 100 watt combo, made in June, 1978 (Rare Brown/ Fawn colored combo, with layout that was a predecessor to the JCM800 channel switchers)