Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 1:33 pm

Yes, definitely worth reading after watching the film. I also sympathised with Eli.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

metelz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2009, 2:32 pm

I loved the movie. It's my favorite film. I told my history class about it last year. My teacher teased me about liking it so much. I gave him the DVD at the end of the year but he hasn't watched it yet. :? I actually thought the movie was better than the book, because the book got bogged down in too many subplots, but they make excellent companions to each other.

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 2:47 pm

metelz wrote:
I loved the movie. It's my favorite film. I told my history class about it last year. My teacher teased me about liking it so much. I gave him the DVD at the end of the year but he hasn't watched it yet. :? I actually thought the movie was better than the book, because the book got bogged down in too many subplots, but they make excellent companions to each other.
I recommended it (incessantly) to my Film/English teacher last year too. He eventually gave in and drove out to the one theatre that was showing it in the area - about an hour away.
He was glad I bugged him so much about it - He loved it. XD

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 4:37 pm

metelz wrote:

Some of the book's subplots could have used some trimming, but I still like the book better because it's much more in-depth, the characters are more complex and there are also some very good scenes that are not in the film. Of course, for sheer time reasons they had to leave a lot out of the film so hence the differences.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 12:29 pm

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've read the book. It was good, though I'd call it horror drama rather than horror. It was horror like it could've been if someone like Eli actually existed.

I found Johnny, Micke and Tomas to be way more frightening than Eli.

I agree that the book contained too many subplots very unessential for the over all plot. Still, good book.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 5:08 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've read the book. It was good, though I'd call it horror drama rather than horror. It was horror like it could've been if someone like Eli actually existed.

I found Johnny, Micke and Tomas to be way more frightening than Eli.

I agree that the book contained too many subplots very unessential for the over all plot. Still, good book.

Lindqvist has said that he came up with the book as he wanted to write about something horrible arriving at Blackeberg, the suburb he grew up in. He decided the best horrible thing would be a vampire, and once he had decided it was going to be a vampire book, he tried to imagine if vampirism really existed, what it would really be like to be a vampire, forgetting all the romantic cliches about it. He concluded it would be a disgusting, lonely, miserable existence, particularly for a child.

I found the 'Hakan at the library' scene more horrific than any of Eli's killings (it was one of the scenes left out of the film).

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 5:17 pm

bra film *thumbs up*

Woodfish
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2009, 10:19 am

Now I've finished the book. Thanks for recommending it! I was so impressed! Wow! What a writer! Very fascinating book. Not seen the movie yet.

If we concentrate on accepting ourselves, change will happen. It will take care of itself. Self-acceptance is so hard to get you can't do it a day at a time. I've found that I need to run my life five minutes at a time. --Jess Lair

asobi_seksu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2009, 6:43 pm

such a beautiful yet bleak film...I had the start of a friendship beginning with someone similar to me when i saw it so I found solace in the fact the characters seemed so familar.I look slightly like eli though so after it I got called that for a bit by my family xD
the authors next novel is apparantly about two ghosts that are smiths fans xD

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 5:48 pm

Woodfish wrote:
Now I've finished the book. Thanks for recommending it! I was so impressed! Wow! What a writer! Very fascinating book. Not seen the movie yet.

You're welcome. :D

asobi_seksu wrote:
such a beautiful yet bleak film...I had the start of a friendship beginning with someone similar to me when i saw it so I found solace in the fact the characters seemed so familar.I look slightly like eli though so after it I got called that for a bit by my family xD
the authors next novel is apparantly about two ghosts that are smiths fans xD

His second novel is Handling the Undead, which is about zombies his third book is a collection of short stories, I think his third novel is the one you mean, the one about ghosts. Only Let the Right One In and Handling the Undead have been translated into English.

Last edited by pbcoll on 12 Nov 2009, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 2:27 pm

I saw it with my dad some days ago, it was good, I didn't need subtitles :D

TB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 12:40 pm

i read the book and there where some wtf moments that i have never had with a book, althought the book is much more in depth i liked the movie more maybe because it was my first look at the story, but i like to think its the atmosphere in the movie impossible to put that in a book.

the parts where you find out more about eli made the relationship between eli and oscar change for me all of a sudden because of the stereotypical view on love in society that i also had, then after a while i started to understand their connection better And i ended up liking it even more.

Last edited by TB on 21 Nov 2009, 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 7:19 pm

Yes, TB, I would say your post has spoilers. I also thought that aspect of the book was good, it adds to the story.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 7:20 pm

I just finished watching it. Wow.

LILI
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2009, 11:56 pm

Best vampire movie produced in recent years...

TB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 5:59 am

it just got an award for best movie of 2009 in my country :D