Kesha
Jonus Brothers
and ect

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2010, 11:03 pm

Michael Jackson?

Oh, wait, I can't say that because he died.

SquishypuffDave
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Mar 2010, 11:13 pm

None of them are bad (or good) enough to be in any way interesting. That's why they're pop artists.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 11:39 pm

Snobbery towards pop music is quickly becoming passé. Pop music has been making a significant comeback over the last year and shows no sign of stopping.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 12:22 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Snobbery towards pop music is quickly becoming passé. Pop music has been making a significant comeback over the last year and shows no sign of stopping.

It's not the music itself that is provoking the snobbery. It's the fact that the artists are overrated to the point that they are considered gods, but for the wrong reasons. Yeah, maybe someone might not consider Clapton to be God, because they don't like his music as much as those original folks who vandalized that wall.

'OMGZZZZ THE JONAS BROTHERS ARE HAWT OMG I LOVE THEM" makes you sick. "OMG WHOS BETTER JONAS BROTHERS OR THE BEETLES??! !!" makes the humiliation of being seen buying their CD the only thing from stopping you from using one for target practice.

Here's a story. I was ranting about them on a forum, and was bitching about how the guitars that *I thought I saw them* using at a Macy's Day Parade were among the most popular and well known guitars, typically used by the rightful "rock gods." "They had to use a Gibson SG, a Gibson Les Paul, and a Rickenbacker 4001." Them someone reminded me that 1/3 does not play bass. But I still remembered seeing a Ric bass, so I looked up a video of it on YouTube.

I then agreed that I was wrong, but I was sickened by the fact that the song being sung was about said song going platinum.

It seems people in the business bust their asses to be what they're not.
"I went into Barnes & Noble the other day, and there’s a huge display that says ‘rock ‘n’ roll,’ and it had a big thing of Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. I went, ‘What the f**k is this?’ People are believing that s**t that is not rock ‘n’ roll and is not the rock lifestyle, is rock!”
--- Nikki Sixx

Point made, I hope? This post was not intended to intended to be a snobbery-fest, and although failing to keep it becoming one of my usual rants, I just wanted to say that this is what provokes snobbery towards pop music.

I really don't intend to be biased either. In fact, I can't allow myself to bash Taylor Swift because, looks aside, she doesn't have the lack of talent that the others do. Yeah, I can't stand her music any more than any of the other stuff, but it's not actually "bad." She either actually writes her own music or at least co-writes most of what she doesn't, but the point is that it has potential. I typically make a habit of previewing a bit of the music I bash before I bash it, and didn't really find anything to complain about, and I thought to myself: "blah, I wouldn't listen to this and it's bullcrap that this is being categorized with country, but she's on the right track."

So I hope this allows me to agree with your statement that hopefully pop is getting back on the right track. Pop hasn't had since the 70's, in my honest opinion. Maybe the snobbery is getting to people, though it's a shame that snobbery should end up being the motivation.

Aspie007
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Mar 2010, 2:59 am

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

-Rick Astley

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 3:27 am

Hard to choose which is the worst pop star ever. The problem is that so many are so bad.

It is like trying to vote for "bore of the year" which is the total opposite of the best man / woman of the year.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

SquishypuffDave
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2010, 4:16 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Pop music has been making a significant comeback over the last year and shows no sign of stopping.

Depends on your definition of pop music. If you're referring to the sort of music that is consistently played on commercial radio, then no. It's worse than it ever was. Obviously that's my opinion, but I'm just saying it as I see it... or hear it.

AstenKathleen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Mar 2010, 2:54 pm

i must admit i love pop music - JLS, Lady Gaga, Kesha, - but im pleased to say im not into that Disney crap any more.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2010, 3:05 pm

Difficult to choose who is most "bad" in such a shallow, self-agrandizing, innapropriately sexual, dishonest, ugly, corrupt, business :lol:
But I suppose (with the exception of Leona Lewis), beige mulch churned out by the X Factor/American Idol sausage factory has to be among the worst offenders.

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 3:49 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdjuuvIYFe4[/youtube]

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 6:41 pm

You have to realize that the aforementioned pop stars are supposed to appeal to tweens and teenyboppers, just like everything else from Disney Channel. I remember when Hilary Duff was real popular, and I was a fan of hers; but I was, like, twelve years old at the time. I also liked to watch Disney Channel; but I have since outgrown Disney Channel and whatever franchise they churn out.

Given time, all the young fans of Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers and everything else from Disney Channel will eventually outgrow them; and they will roll their eyes at whatever the next generation of teenyboppers are raving over. :wink:

Last edited by Descartes on 07 Mar 2010, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kathryn_7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Mar 2010, 6:43 pm

Britney Spears

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2010, 8:50 pm

Aspie007 wrote:
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

-Rick Astley

awesome

23enigma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2010, 4:05 am

I don't like pop artists one bit. In-fact, I don't consider them musicians.

They are just really good business people. I'm into the underground and no one can change me.

Examples of GOOD music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvILl1k3Po
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCoCTkC0oL0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HROMVIHGpLE

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 9:47 am

23enigma wrote:
I don't like pop artists one bit. In-fact, I don't consider them musicians.

They are just really good business people. I'm into the underground and no one can change me.

Examples of GOOD music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvILl1k3Po

It's funny that you criticise pop music, then in the next sentence post a link to a Zero 7 music clip, whose most well known album to date, The Garden, is a straightforward pop album.