What's your favorite architecture style?

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 12:24 am

I'm not really sure what to say because I know what I like when I see it but I don't know what people call it. Also, what pleases my eye artistically versus what I would like to live in... well, there's not usually one that fits both.

But if we're putting up religious structures, I have one. It's not one of those cool old Russian churches but I like it, and it means something to me:

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/sandieg ... emple1.jpg

I think it speaks for itself as to why I've chosen to paint a picture of this one instead:

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/newport ... emple1.jpg

It's a lot less intimidating, I want a picture of it for my apartment and all the published photos look pretty much like this one, and this temple is close enough to take my own photos of the building, from an angle I like.

But I digress. I do like Art Deco when I see it, but I dunno that I'd want it around all the time... it just reminds me of old movies. It's like the car in Topper. But I don't like cities, so... For a dwelling, I like a thatch (looking) roof and uneven, gray river stone walls and a slightly out of control garden. I suppose that's rustic or something.

I've put the pictures in as links because for some reason my pictures keep getting resized and coming out about twice the height they should be.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 1:21 am

irishwhistle wrote:
I'm not really sure what to say because I know what I like when I see it but I don't know what people call it. Also, what pleases my eye artistically versus what I would like to live in... well, there's not usually one that fits both.

But if we're putting up religious structures, I have one. It's not one of those cool old Russian churches but I like it, and it means something to me:

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/sandieg ... emple1.jpg

I think it speaks for itself as to why I've chosen to paint a picture of this one instead:

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/newport ... emple1.jpg

It's a lot less intimidating, I want a picture of it for my apartment and all the published photos look pretty much like this one, and this temple is close enough to take my own photos of the building, from an angle I like.

But I digress. I do like Art Deco when I see it, but I dunno that I'd want it around all the time... it just reminds me of old movies. It's like the car in Topper. But I don't like cities, so... For a dwelling, I like a thatch (looking) roof and uneven, gray river stone walls and a slightly out of control garden. I suppose that's rustic or something.

I've put the pictures in as links because for some reason my pictures keep getting resized and coming out about twice the height they should be.

Everybody seems to be into Russian architecture.

I personally like the Taj Mahal and the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 12:47 pm

I'm a bit odd when it comes to architecture. I LOVE those giant 60's towerblocks found in most UK cities/towns. I also like terraced 'council houses' also from the 60's. I spend a lot of time drawing them. I suppose it is the repetetiveness to them that I like.

I also like any building that is derelict!

pixxie69
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2010, 7:21 pm

Gothic cathedrals for their overwhelmingness and red/white or yellow/white scandinavian rural 1800-farmhouses for their straight lines and the cosyness inside. :)
/

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 8:29 am

Jellybean wrote:
I'm a bit odd when it comes to architecture. I LOVE those giant 60's towerblocks found in most UK cities/towns. I also like terraced 'council houses' also from the 60's. I spend a lot of time drawing them. I suppose it is the repetetiveness to them that I like.

Do you like industrial-era Manchester?

Not really architecture I guess, but I love the feel of abandoned towns/cities. Like Chernobyl.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 9:52 am

Postures wrote:
Woodfish those are really pretty! :o

I also like these:

St. Petersburg

Fili

Moscow
[img][650:642]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Russie_-_Moscou_-_Novodevichy_4.jpg[/img]

And many, many more :D

I think that St. Petersburg is the best one.

Valoyossa wrote:
Ice-needles Gothic

Pretty.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 10:48 pm

I love Gothic, Art Deco, and Art Nouveau style architecture.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2010, 3:38 am

art deco, especially Frank Lloyd Wright, and those nice 1920s geometric red brick industrial/commercial buildings :)

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2010, 3:40 am

Postures wrote:
Jellybean wrote:

Do you like industrial-era Manchester?

council houses are great, and industrial era Manchester is AMAZING :)

Quetzkotl
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2010, 9:26 am

I guess I haven't posted enough messages to be allowed to post pictures, but one of my current passions is passive energy houses. I also love round houses and earth stations and weird houses that look like ufo's. Gothic Victorian houses with the empire style roofs are another favorite. Art Deco and Neoclassical are also beautiful. I absolutely adore furniture in the Art Deco style as well.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 10:06 am

Quetzkotl wrote:
I guess I haven't posted enough messages to be allowed to post pictures, but one of my current passions is passive energy houses. I also love round houses and earth stations and weird houses that look like ufo's. Gothic Victorian houses with the empire style roofs are another favorite. Art Deco and Neoclassical are also beautiful. I absolutely adore furniture in the Art Deco style as well.

See
http://toolbar.imageshack.us/windows-up ... wnload.php

It will enable you to insert pictures.

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 5:34 pm

Copenhagen

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 11:30 pm

Parc Guëll in Barcelona and Chateau de Chambord in France 8)

Anything that looks like a fairytale basically.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 4:47 am

Brutalism. It's also my preferred relational style.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 2:59 am

Art Nouveau and art deco.

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2010, 10:47 am

Victorian I like a lot

Also I like some of the architecture of the baroque period, this example being French
[img][650:600]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/83/Chateau-de-maison-lafitte.jpg[/img]

But Mainly I love gothic architecture

[img][650:800]http://foto.dsy.it/albums/album14/Duomo_Milano_Aged.jpg[/img]

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420