What do you think of my book so far?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2006, 7:34 pm

Page 1

The question struck Edgar: a 17 year old who had a mind of one thousand entries, entries of sub entries, sub entries of categories, categories of the small subjects that were crowded inside his brain.

As he went to school that was the only thing which he thought about: math and science. things dazzled in his mind about the many sciences of many categories. These fields of science are something that I could uniquely pursue. His grades on the other hand were terrible; A’s, B’s, C’s, D’s, and F’s; which he used almost no thought into his classes. Science was the only way he could survive.
He thought almost that he did not need to have good grades, as his genius was in all things science and mathematics. On his was home from school his friend Nathan walked alongside the curb of the road. Whistling and humming to that stupid Scottish tune which they both had to sing in choir class.
“hey” said, Edgar
Nathan made no acknowledgment to the proper greeting which Edgar gave, instead he kept walking on the curb, humming the same Scottish tune. Edgar thought Nathan had no personality, and if he did, he hid it inside the fog of his character.
“I got a B in choir” said, Nathan
Edgar thought that he had to keep walking and ignore Nathan, but he had at least another mile to go to home. So he thought he had nothing else to do, and the equation he wrote in study hall was a blur, and could easily be thought at a later time.
“that’s good, I guess” he said
“why don’t you come to practice?” said, Nathan
Edgar had never been asked that before, not from a friend at least. Everyone kind of let him do his own thing at school (didn’t care about his interests or endeavors)
“I can’t sing worth a darn, Nath”
“That’s not true! You were almost in line with Dan Neville, I heard you Ed! You can’t just give up now, we have at least one more year to go until we graduate! You can’t live in that Einsteinian world of yours, you gotta get through it!”

Nathan is right, Edgar thought… no he just wants me to make a fool out of myself, cut it out Edgar (he slapped the left side of his face) ok he really cares about me. Edgar knew he needed to pull it together, after all he liked school, and he knew he had the potential.
“Yeah! Your right, Nathan! I just don’t like the courses I’m taking”
“that’s ok! Think of school work like a game, if you think of it ho-humly then you won’t progress in school! It happened to my one of my brothers, I don’t want you going down that road, not when you get to my brother’s at least. Ya know he (Nathan paused) He went into the army because he thought he wasn’t cut out for college, and now he’s in a POW camp somewhere in Iraq”
Peter (Nathan’s brother) was stationed in a platoon that was stationed in western Bagdad. It really hurt Nathan to think about it. In fact when he told Edgar about his brother he felt like crying. But he didn’t want to make a scene.
“How old were you?” said, Edgar
“3, I think”
“how old are you now, Nathan?”
“15”
“its 2006 now, that would mean that it was 1991 when that happened, why did you say ‘ I Think ?‘ “

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 2

“I don’t know!” Nathan became annoyed
“Ed, ya gotta stop correcting people! I know you know a lot about everything, but please stop it!”
“Why not?!?” said, Edgar confusingly
“Because people just don’t care about those kind of things, trust me Ed, I know ya don’t have the social skills that most all of us have, so please just trust me”

Edgar finally reached his home. His dog Max rushed to greet him. His mother was on the porch reading her book. Edgar lived in a large home; out in the country of a small town in Indiana. His house was overwhelming to him, kids screaming, older brothers and sisters fighting. The only thing he liked about his house is that his grandma Anne Marie Wallace lived with them. Every once in a while she would make pies; apple, cherry, pumpkin, if you asked her to make it, she would kindly ask Edgar to go to the grocery store and buy them. But sometimes, when Edgar and his family went on walks in their pasture, she would see berry bushes, or apple trees (wild of course)

“any way thanks for the incite Nathan, I’ll think about what you told me!” said Edgar, kindly
“No need to thank, Ed I was just doing my part as your friend and all”

They both waved goodbye and Edgar went inside his house, straight to his room, and pulled out his favorite book Principia Mathematica. Everyone teased him about him and that very book; saying things such as, you don’t understand that book; your grade is a C; this kid is a crackpot etc. He took criticism very seriously, he would ignore people, and they would just take the book away from him and call him a crack pot that way. Crack pot, crack pot crack pot, he could never get that off his chest. But what was great about Edgars room is that it was way upstairs (he had a 3 story home) at the top floor. Edgar had to walk a few stair cases, but his room was a haven for him, he didn’t have any distractions. His family never demanded much from him, that’s why no one really bothered to go up there. His mom would always tell the girls to not disturb Edgar. So Edgar’s room was a great place to go after school aside from the people who always picked on him since his enrollment in high school.

The following morning Edgar got ready for school, he looked at the clock it was 7:25. He kissed his mom goodbye, and made his way to catch the bus. Nathan lived a few roads close to Edgars, and he saw him on his way.

“Hello Nathan” said, Edgar politely
“Hey, ya finally say hi to me”
“yeah you don’t understand Nathan, my house is a hell hole, my parents are fixing to get a divorce, and so my siblings are always bickering , she stole my sandals, Edgar won’t play with me blah blah blah, eye”
“Well, why don’t you move out?!?” said, Nathan
“Cause!! (Edgar sighed) my family thinks I’m not ready to live on my own”
Edgars family always thought that Edgar was the type of kid that if you weren’t looking, you would find him in a bathroom slitting his wrist or something of that sort.
“my family thinks I’m a suicidal maniac, and people are always coming into my room to check on me, Edgar are you all right she always does that when I am in the middle of reading a

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

page 3

book, I hate that! I am always in the best of my concentration, Nathan you see what I mean, my house is basically a crapshoot”

“Ed??” Nathan said, eagerly
“I think I know how to help you”
“What is that, send me to a nut house?!?”
“No! oh my gosh Ed, you need a friend like me to help ya out, and maybe your mom will see that you have a friend on your back”
Nathan held out his hand, Edgar stared at it like a school master stares at a boy who always gets into trouble
“Truce?” Nathan said, politely
“Umm”
Edgar put his hand on his chin.
“Well… ok”
They shook hands, later the bus finally arrived. Edgar began to thinking that he did have a place at Bellmont High, and that he could make it, even if it was his junior year of High School.

<this is all I have so far>

sc
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2006, 7:56 pm

Name similarities.

Seems good, nut house!

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2006, 10:08 pm

Thanks I guess :?