Marvel 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
dc 28%  28%  [ 8 ]
other 34%  34%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 29

Kimmy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2008, 1:46 pm

I follow the Sonic the Hedgehog plot. I still rember the thrill when I held STH#149 in my hands. It was my comic book ever, AND I was in time for#150! Since then I have branched out to old Spider-Man and Superman comics(because the new ones have gotten... dark)but Sonic is still my favorite!

Complex
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2008, 6:03 pm

I have a looonnggg history with comics. Right now my favorites are Green Lantern (the Sinestro War rocked and is highly recommended), Booster Gold (recovering as*hole), Shadowpact (I think this one has been cancelled), Uncle Sam & The Freedom Fighters (very cool retcon of characters that used to be cheesy), Salvation Run (super-criminals stranded on a alien planet by the government), Suicide Squad (super-criminals working for the government ala the Dirty Dozen). You can tell I'm a DC man. Nothing against Marvel, just personal preference.
I used to really like the Vertigo stuff, but as I've aged I've decided that I just like comics for childlike entertainment value.

Scytale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2008, 6:23 am

I've been collecting since about 1993 (after graduating college). Wasn't into them as a kid but liked a lot of superhero cartoons on TV. Guy in my college dorm let me borrow his "Crisis On Infinite Earths" series, and that sparked my interest--that plus the "X-Men" cartoon.

A lot of big comic milestones were going on back then: Death of Superman, founding of Image Comics, etc. What really got me hooked was "Star Wars: Dark Empire". I've been a huge Star Wars fan from the very begining, and seeing those SW:DE books on the wall at one of the 1st comic shops I visited was like finding buried treasure. I've been getting comics regularly ever since and have probably been one of the biggest customers of every dealer I've ever placed regular orders with.

My private collection has become quite large in 15 years--well over 10,000 books! Mostly superhero stuff yet a wide variety of publishers and ongoing/past series. It's to the point where I have more books that I haven't got around to reading than those I have read. Don't read as frequently as I used to, but I still enjoy visiting shops (esp. ones I've never been to before) and discovering hard-to-find items that will fill holes in my collection. Thrill of the hunt I suppose. :)

Fav Writers: Alan Moore, Warren Ellis
Fav Artists: Michael Turner, Bryan Hitch, Greg Capullo

Fav Reads: "Watchmen" (of course), "Spawn", "Starman" (the James Robinson series), "JSA", "Planetary", "Stormwatch", "Bone", "Deadpool" (when Joe Kelly wrote it [LMAO]), the 1st Mark Waid/Ron Garney run on "Captain America" (#444-454), early Valiant Universe (esp. "Solar", "Harbinger" & "X-O Manowar"), & many of the Dark Horse published "Star Wars" titles

All-Time Fav Single Story: "Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment"

freak_audio
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2008, 2:27 am

Voted DC simply for Vertigo, Love the whole magical side of their universe.

Also love a lot of Image, Dark Horse, Slave Labour, Oni etc...

Fallen in love with The Walking Dead recently... The zombie movie that never ends...

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Afroman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2008, 7:28 am

I voted for DC... tho I do like BOOM Studios and Image Comics....... And I dont mind Marvel

Faves heros would be.......

Spawn
Witchblade
The Darkness
Batman
The Flash
Green Arrow
Steel
Iron Man
Ghost Rider

I do like many more comic book heros but they are the ones that come to mind atm

Spawn ftw ! !! !

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 10:22 am

I used to read my fathers comics and graphic novels, mainly because they were lying around the house, when I was young - Heavy Metal, Conan the Barbarian and Asterix and Obelix are his favourites.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 7:05 pm

I used to be a touch interested in comics. It seemed like a confused young art form with a lot of potential for greatness (as was the novel a few centuries ago :wink:). Then I read 'Maus' and thought, "My God! This stuff blows!"

I have not read a graphic novel since.

If anyone wants to know why I hated 'Maus', just ask on this thread and I'll turn on the Rantinator 6000 for you.