Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

To all you musicians out there, what bands or musicians influence your work the most? Who do you like to listen to and study for inspiration and improvement?

Personally, I like to listen to, study, and try to learn from artists like Celldweller and Owl City in particular. It usually gives my work a sound somewhat akin to a heavier version of Amber Codon. I jokingly refer to my project as the 'Owl City of industrial music'... And, no, I don't have anything to show yet, but hopefully that'll change in the next few months... Maybe...

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 5:29 pm

Pete Ventantonio. I'm nothing like him, never will be and wouldn't want to be, but the man's got style. I dunno, though, I'm not a good singer, but I'm versatile and determined not to ape other people's singing voice if I can help it. Now if I only had another half an octave each way I'd be great. :lol:
(I could list a huge number of singers I like whose songs I like to sing, but it wouldn't be particularly illuminating, I suppose.) :)

The year is still young.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 5:52 pm

The Who, Domenico Dragonetti, Sigur Rós and school jazz books.

The Who reinvented rock in my opinion. I like to study the guitar and basslines particularly, as well as their use of other instruments.

Sigur Rós makes simply beautiful and mysterious music. I use them to study the use of unconventional instruments as well as the use of conventional instruments in unconventional ways. I also like to look into what they do for effects and such.

Domenico Dragonetti was the man who brought the double bass into commonality and presented it as a greatly virtuosic instrument. He was also quite an interesting composer.

As for my last choice, school jazz books, I absolutely love using them as excercise and they inspire me to learn from what I know.

RAINCLOUD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2011, 6:37 pm

Owl city ripped off the postal service!

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 7:07 pm

I don't write my own music, but I listen to Evanescence, Disturbed, Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold....yeah, I'm a metal head. Toss in a bit of Broadway (I love my Phantom of the Opera), and a little classical, and there's my inspiration for everything. :)

hellomynameis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2011, 8:20 pm

In no particular order... Three Days Grace, Skillet, Breaking Benjamin, Switchfoot, Owl City, Linkin Park, OneRepublic, and Ludovico Einaudi.

Rippercase
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2011, 9:47 pm

My love of music lies in the extreme. My favorite genre of music is technical death metal and the level of musicianship in this realm is absurd.

I have read that people with Asperger's take special interest in a certain narrow aspect of thier, well, special interests. For the past couple years my primary special interest has been playing guitar. I have found that I am particularly intrigued by technical aspects of playing guitar - speed, riff complexity, strange timing, song structure etc,. So, naturally, this seems to have transcended to my taste in music, technical death metal being all about the aformentioned aspects I dig.

Origin is one of the fastest, most technical bands out there. Thier guitarist, Paul Ryan, is certainly one of my biggest inspirations. The music he writes on guitar is incredible. I always laugh when I download Guitar Pro tabs to thier music because I always find myself wondering how anyone is able to play that fast. 8O

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 10:13 am

Clint Mansell, Renard, Casey LaLonde, Shrillex, and Deadmau5.

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm

Simon Fuller, The creator of the Spice Girls, S Club 7 and American Idol inspires me alot. He is not a musician, but a Music manager.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 9:48 pm

Eithne "Enya" Patricia Ní Bhraonáin

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 10:27 pm

Axwell
Sebastian Ingrosso
Steve Angello
Avicii
Deadmau5
Adam K
Chris kaeser
Wolfgang Gartner
chuckie
Afrojack
Bellatrax
EDX
Dennis Ruyer
Eric Prydz
Mark Knight
Martin Solveig

and many others

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 3:45 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Deadmau5

I googled Deadmau5 because of the name (it's a mouse thing). I honestly am a bit scared of electronica (because of the fans and the scene and the fact that I'm very much a rocker) but that is the kind I like to listen to. I keep playing their tracks on Youtube. Thank you.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 4:55 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
Deadmau5

I googled Deadmau5 because of the name (it's a mouse thing). I honestly am a bit scared of electronica (because of the fans and the scene and the fact that I'm very much a rocker) but that is the kind I like to listen to. I keep playing their tracks on Youtube. Thank you.

yea he's had a huge affect on my own music making. His tracks that have most influenced me are:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2PM5iTlmRE[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KTxNTxTtm0&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNXuQJo94pc[/youtube]

He is a very gifted artist, that's for sure, and his resonating bass paired with memorable chord progressions makes him the epitome Progressive House. The last track I posted is with wolfgang gartner, and you see where each artist lent their strengths to making "animal rights"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 9:39 pm

The Kinks inspire me, Mick Avory in particular. :D

cyanosity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jun 2011, 4:41 pm

Robert Smith from the Cure is my absolute idol. I hate gushing about people, so I'm going to avoid getting sentimental. But basically his music, the Cure's music, has been the soundtrack of my life for nearly three years. The Cure remind me that I'm not alone in being alienated, sad, and lonely, but it's okay to be happy too.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 5:04 pm

Green Day for going against their idiotic peers who wanted them to stay independent.