Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2011, 1:02 pm

Anyone else love them as much as I do?

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 1:14 pm

I do not know if I love them as you do, but they are my favourite band, and Glass and the Ghost Children is my favourite track. My tastes are probably unusual, after the 'Pumpkins' I would say I enjoyed Dethklok the most.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 1:17 pm

I very much enjoy them :)

Not the brightest of their songs, but one of me faves:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxM4EbN9lMY[/youtube]

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 4:44 pm

You know, I haven't listened to them in a while and I'm not sure why. I went through a phase in high school where I was really into them, though. Saw them on the Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness tour and it was among the best live shows I've seen. Maybe it's time for me to rediscover them again ...

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

05 Jul 2011, 11:24 pm

Kait wrote:
Anyone else love them as much as I do?

As much as you, no. However, I like a couple of their songs. Bullet With Butterfly Wings and 1979 are nice to listen to.

Kait

06 Jul 2011, 12:04 am

blueroses wrote:
You know, I haven't listened to them in a while and I'm not sure why. I went through a phase in high school where I was really into them, though. Saw them on the Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness tour and it was among the best live shows I've seen. Maybe it's time for me to rediscover them again ...
Mellon collie is amazing but my face is siamese dream

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 12:59 pm

First 2 LPs: Bloody excellent; after that it just goes downhill.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 11:20 pm

The Pumpkins always had that perfect mix of brooding tension and divine melody. "Today" is probably my favorite song. It makes me feel good inside when I hear it.

Darcher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Dec 2011, 12:11 pm

to answer your question......"yes, i do"

Concretebadger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2011, 5:02 pm

I've been a fan for almost ten years now...I like Gish, Siamese Dream is in my top five fave records, Mellon Collie is brilliant overall with one or two 'meh' tracks, but I'm not as keen on what went after. The first three records - plus Pisces Iscariot - are pretty much wall-to-wall awesome while the later ones are a mixture of songs I like and songs I don't care for. If nothing else, no two albums of theirs sound alike, and I'm surprised every time. Not many bands can maintain such a large output of material and continue to evolve.

What I find awkward is that Billy Corgan comes across as very selfish and egotistical. As a songwriter and musician I admire him enormously, but as a person...I don't know. I've never met the guy, but quite a few people say he's hard to work - and get along - with. A side-effect of genius and long-term fame, maybe? What makes that aspect even more sad is that the other three members of the original line-up were very talented in their own right...D'Arcy was classically train iirc, Jimmy is a jazz drummer and James came up with some brilliant guitar parts (I love Mayonaise especially). In case that sounds a bit harsh, I don't have any intention of turning this thread from a 'band appreciation' thread to a 'slander the frontman' one! The music's great, anyhow.

I've not really listened much the newer songs...either I've got older and more jaded or they simply don't have the same ability to grab my attention like they used to. As for the reforming that happened a few years back...they tend to have a habit of changing the sound of their older material from what I've seen on Youtube, but I saw one recent-ish rendition of Starla that blew my mind and made me want to see them perform live at last. I must confess this band is one of my main musical influences and according to last.fm I've listened to them one heck of a lot! :oops:

Last edited by Concretebadger on 30 Dec 2011, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 5:35 pm

I like Siamese Dream a lot, but other work didn't interest me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th-AqMvvBzE&ob=av2e[/youtube]

I think a lot of the appeal for me lies in the guitar tones.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 5:59 pm

I like smashing pumpkins okay, but haven't listened to them in a long time. I just never really got *into* them. :shrug:

Darcher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2012, 9:57 am

Concretebadger wrote:
I've been a fan for almost ten years now...I like Gish, Siamese Dream is in my top five fave records, Mellon Collie is brilliant overall with one or two 'meh' tracks, but I'm not as keen on what went after. The first three records - plus Pisces Iscariot - are pretty much wall-to-wall awesome while the later ones are a mixture of songs I like and songs I don't care for. If nothing else, no two albums of theirs sound alike, and I'm surprised every time. Not many bands can maintain such a large output of material and continue to evolve.

What I find awkward is that Billy Corgan comes across as very selfish and egotistical. As a songwriter and musician I admire him enormously, but as a person...I don't know. I've never met the guy, but quite a few people say he's hard to work - and get along - with. A side-effect of genius and long-term fame, maybe? What makes that aspect even more sad is that the other three members of the original line-up were very talented in their own right...D'Arcy was classically train iirc, Jimmy is a jazz drummer and James came up with some brilliant guitar parts (I love Mayonaise especially). In case that sounds a bit harsh, I don't have any intention of turning this thread from a 'band appreciation' thread to a 'slander the frontman' one! The music's great, anyhow.

I've not really listened much the newer songs...either I've got older and more jaded or they simply don't have the same ability to grab my attention like they used to. As for the reforming that happened a few years back...they tend to have a habit of changing the sound of their older material from what I've seen on Youtube, but I saw one recent-ish rendition of Starla that blew my mind and made me want to see them perform live at last. I must confess this band is one of my main musical influences and according to last.fm I've listened to them one heck of a lot! :oops:

right on. saw them in omaha a couple months ago. they played some old stuff, it was awesome.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 4:53 pm

good band for their genre. At the time I was first introduced to them, I didn't care much though as I was more of a grunge listener at the time, mostly soundgarden and STP.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

AlienRed
Raven
Raven

03 Jan 2012, 5:07 pm

I don't mind a bit of Smashing Pumpkins now and then :)

whocansay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jan 2012, 3:39 pm

Almost went to see them a few months ago in england... if only there were a few more old tracks on the setlist. Slow Dawn is probably a bit too much to ask for...