Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 10:57 pm

Anyone ever done a piece of art or work of writing inspired by another piece of artwork? I have not done this often, if at all (I say this because I do not know if I have done so subconsciously).

Today I did it on purpose. I have another picture with poppies called Vine Me. A fellow deviant pointed out it reminding him/her of the poem "In Flanders Fields". I had not heard of it and looked it up. This piece is inspired by that poem. If you wish to read it here is a link to the poem.

In Flanders Fields

My piece is called Poppies in the Fields

[img][800:548]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/237/9/b/9b0c05d45d8b7b31909c99f49669fcbd-d5cfqo3.jpg[/img]

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 1:17 am

Indeed I have. In fact, a few years ago I decided it might be fun to produce a painting based on a second painting which in turn was based on a third-- sort of a visual version of that game called "Telephone". :P

This is Diego Velázquez's original Portrait of Pope Innocent X, done in 1650. Done in oil on canvas, its dimensions are 47" x 45". It is located at the Galeria Doria Pamphilj in Rome. A fine example of Renaissance-era portraitry.

This is Francis Bacon's modernist reinterpretation, done in 1953 and entitled Study after Velázquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X. It was done in oil on canvas, measures 60" x 46", and is part of the permanent collection of the Des Moines Art Center in Iowa.

And finally, this is my postmodernist re-reinterpretation, done in 2010 and (with tongue planted firmly in cheek) entitled Study after Bacon's Study after Velázquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X. It's only slightly smaller than Bacon's, at 60" x 36". It was done in acrylics on canvas, and is currently housed... erm... behind my bed. Just as Bacon referred to his version as one of his "Screaming Popes", I've taken to nicknaming this one the "Exploding Pope".

amongthetrees
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 1:38 am

i had not read that poem before. it is simple, yet full with the story. it is real. it is the truth, and written by someone who lived that truth.

your piece carries that on as well, solitary, simple.. nicely done.

at the end.. what should we trade in order to get done what, at the time, is said to be 'right'? will it still be right in another 100 years? will those boys sleeping there in that muddy Flander's still not ever have seen those poppies?

i never understood the giving of the little fake poppy flowers on Veteran's day till now. this flower was the first plant to come back to the bombed mud and mucky grave tops in 1920 when it became quiet there.

so yeah.. i wrote a poem one time while i was 'sessing over a driving instrumental song. i listened over and over and the thing came out well - a way to solve something going wrong in my RW at the time. it's somewhere in the dungeons of this computer, i'll drag it up and dust it off sometime..

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 9:19 am

I think everyone has at some point; I have made fan art of warhammer 40k (but I can't make those well yet sadly), Mass Effect and a tribute to a Keith Thompson art piece with a few personal adjustments added, but keeping the same basic layout.

I don't have any pictures sadly. Much of my artwork is derivitive like anyone else's. All artists get influence and whether or not it shows strongly is up to the artist. Mine tends to have hints of many influences but retains its uniqueness, which I love.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 9:21 am

amongthetrees wrote:
so yeah.. i wrote a poem one time while i was 'sessing over a driving instrumental song. i listened over and over and the thing came out well - a way to solve something going wrong in my RW at the time.

Interesting, I usually get a lot of drawing and writing ideas when listening to my music collection, even if only mentally. I think it's fascinating one form of artwork can influence another!

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 8:55 pm

Chevand wrote:
Indeed I have. In fact, a few years ago I decided it might be fun to produce a painting based on a second painting which in turn was based on a third-- sort of a visual version of that game called "Telephone". :P

That is AMAZING Chevand!

Amongthetrees if you find the poem I would like to read it!

Sanity I agree that artists are not (how did an author put it once?) a lone hero on a hill. We carry the art, styles and culture of all artists that came before us.

Mid_Country
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2012, 11:39 pm

I make my most favorite art listening to the music I love. Lots of Tom Waits, Creedance, Classical, and Conor Oberst.