Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2011, 4:01 pm

Died a couple of days ago.

So young, so much promise waiting to get fulfilled... Only 27. Only two great albums with her amazing and unique voice.

So much to say, yet I can almost say nothing...

I can't help of thinking about her necklace that she often wore, with the Star of David, the Jewish Star, and I've heard that she only started identifying as Jewish in some point, and acting proud of it, and that it was partially due to her causing shame to her family and the Jewish community. Not sure how much of this is true, although I'm afraid that perhaps people were indeed against her way of life, and blamed her parents for that, so she might have preferred not to identify with our national identity and heritage for that reason.

But Amy, I'm kind of happy to have people like you in my community. Because I didn't even know that you're Jewish until after you've died, yet I've always admired you. And now? If someone says we should be ashamed of someone of our community, because we don't approve his values, I support him being what he is, and never stop acknowledging his heritage, despite what other Fascists say. Every culture has its junkies, but why is that necessarily bad? Yes, it's bad to have people in bad condition in your country, but it's better to be aware of their existence and suffering, and at least try to take care of it.

So when I hear that this troubled person, suffering, that never did any harm to anyone, is suffering, and everyone hates her, and she starts supporting her heritage, which is mine as well, I want to hug her and help her, because she's calling for help, to people who perhaps can hear her. And I can. If she wasn't Jewish, I would've found another reason, perhaps fake, to try and help her and be close to her.

I guess what I'm trying to say is,
You were wonderful,
Thanks for being,
I'll always love you,
I was searching for a mutual community, it happened to be the Jewish one,
I'll always cherish you, as a member of any community possible, even if I'm not in it.

יהי זכרה ברוך
תהא נשמתה צרורה בצרור החיים

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 4:26 pm

I didn't know she was Jewish either until reading this post, she was gifted though with that amazing voice, rivaled only by Adelle. Were Jews repulsed by her behavior, or more-so then the average non-jewish spectator?

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2011, 4:45 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
I didn't know she was Jewish either until reading this post, she was gifted though with that amazing voice, rivaled only by Adelle. Were Jews repulsed by her behavior, or more-so then the average non-jewish spectator?

I hope not so. As said, I admired her regardless of her origins, and I wasn't even aware to them.

But I was saddened to hear this, because no one deserves to be felt a disgrace to his community. No matter what he does. Especially when she didn't harm anyone but herself. I know that there are probably fascist bastards (I hope it's okay to call them so) to say she's a disgrace because she was a Junkie, but also that others probably feel morely obliged to defend her drug habits because of her heritage. We Jews are like that, if we found out that someone is Jewish, all papers say so, and it affects people.

But thing is, as I said, I feel close to her with being part of the Jewish community, but I was looking for this kind of "relationship" with her and would've picked every possible single choice that could have been logical, in some way possible. If she wasn't Jewish, I think I would have found another common thing. I'm just feeling obliged to say this, because I heard that she's supposedly a disgrace to our people, and I find it appalling that people speak that way about people in my name. I really think that she just needed a hug. Perhaps this Star of David was her crying for help, knowing that Jews might stand up for each other no matter what, and wanted others to rescue her, and felt obliged to help her as tradition. I just know that she was trying to address Jews, and I think that she probably only tried to address people at that point to help her. And she had no one. I'm just sad to think that I was the one of the many people she asked to help her, even though it wasn't directly or officially directed at me, and even though I can only guess so. But, well, that's 'cause I like to think that I can perhaps people. Otherwise I would have said that I'm related to her by any other possible option, as said. I would've find this possible connection.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2011, 5:14 pm

Anytime I see someone chemically numbing themselves to that extent, I know they must be very, very unhappy and my heart goes out to them. I never knew much about AW, except what I heard from comedians on TV making fun of her, but at least her suffering is over. Via Con Dios, Ames.

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2011, 5:18 pm

Avengilante wrote:
Anytime I see someone chemically numbing themselves to that extent, I know they must be very, very unhappy and my heart goes out to them. I never knew much about AW, except what I heard from comedians on TV making fun of her, but at least her suffering is over. Via Con Dios, Ames.

One of my favourite comedians is Craig Ferguson. Who also spoke out against scientologists who are against psychiatry by the way. He said the symptom of depression is depression itself, as a response to the claims that "antidepressants only cure the symptoms", and when they say "it's a crutch", he said "you don't go to a one-legged person, and take his crutch and say 'hey, pal, that crutch is just a crutch! It masks the symptoms of your one-leggedness'!".

And he once said that he chooses not to make fun of Britney Spears, as he was an alcoholic himself, and bravely spoke about it - and says that politicians are the likes that should be made fun of, and not weak troubled people who harmed nobody. And I really appreciate him for saying that.

autisic2artistic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2011, 8:04 pm

I think she was a lost soul destroyed by depression and little self worth I think and self destructed in a haze. Just lesoning to her music I can see this.