Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 5:21 pm

Who else here is a fan of her "Vampire Chronicles"?

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2009, 8:05 pm

i love the vampire chronicles, but even more i love the witching hour series. the final book in witching hour is called taltos, and i relate more to the taltos beings than any beings i've come across. i've read both series twice. i also like robert jordan's wheel of time series.

LosFrida
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2009, 8:16 pm

One of my all time favorite fantasy series. Her book "Cry To Heaven" was excellent as well.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 9:02 pm

Ya. Have just read the first 5 of them (i think just the first 3 are considered "the Vampire Chronicles" right?)

Definitely been wanting to read through again and continue on with more of the books lately, especially after having to hear more and more about this Twilight garbage. I want to shove Anne Rice in the face of all the people over the age of 16 who think Twilight is good.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 9:31 pm

Yep I'm definitely an Anne Rice fan vampire chronicles and you name it.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 9:39 pm

I read all those books and enjoyed them. :)

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 10:01 pm

I will say that I think my all time favorite out of all the vampire chronicles was Interview with the Vampire.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 1:45 am

+1

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 1:56 am

I read everything of hers, apart from Christ the Lord, Out of Egypt, which for some reason the shops won't stock in this country. :? Once upon a time they wouldn't have stocked occult fiction! Anyway... I'm thinking of ordering Christ the Lord, since her secular stuff was so beautifully written, and I've actually read grudgingly respectful reviews from atheists of her life of Christ. Though apparently it's just as horror filled as her vampire and witch fiction.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2009, 12:19 pm

My personal favourite was "Memnoch the Devil."

I've read them all and I think it is a shame she reverted back to christianity in fear of Death. No more Chronicles. :cry:

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 1:50 pm

Youthful looking vampires in the real world would be forced to deal with some problem Mrs Rice despite its importance didn't ever write about. One of the most crucial parts of the vampire myth clearly states that having turned one, you get stuck in the form you were in at the moment of the transformation – time passing, even after whole millennia doesn’t affect you any more. Being in your teens or twenties at the moment of the Dark Gift being given to you, in practice guarantees you eternal youth.

Anne Rice didn’t devote too much time to addressing this issue but the truth is that regardless of the level of political correctness people profess, on the more hidden, subconscious level they tend to not treat youngsters and their opinions as seriously as more mature people would have been treated by them. I know vampires are a special case here but before they became the children of night, they spent years imbued with the idea that a young face automatically means a young person not living long enough to deserve being treated seriously. Don’t you think that if there was a real vampire society, safely hidden from the eyes of nosey humans, those who gained immortality in the vampire form as young people (especially very young – when they were teenagers) wouldn’t be rather treated with such trust as those who died for the world as representatives of humankind in a ripe, mature age?

Having seen someone looking like they were still 15, even if they were 15 two thousand years ago about which you’d know and someone looking like they were in their forties, even aware that person was made a vampire two months ago, you’d subconsciously be biased against the youngling with regard to his/her being put in a position of great trust.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

She's writing a werewolf novel :D But I'd like it to be a vampire one, instead :(

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 5:28 pm

As someone who finds vampires absolutely disgusting, I'm pissed off at Anne Rice for popularizing the "sexy vampire" trope that is almost everywhere now and needs to die fast.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 5:46 pm

BrandonSP wrote:
As someone who finds vampires absolutely disgusting, I'm pissed off at Anne Rice for popularizing the "sexy vampire" trope that is almost everywhere now and needs to die fast.

If it's any consolation, she didn't. Vampires have been "sexy" for much longer - the original gothic novelists moved them away from their (very diverse) rotting-corpse folklore roots. Lord Ruthven is an excellent example of the trope - it's been more common than otherwise for the last two centuries. If anyone is interested in the evolution of the modern vampire myth (guessing you aren't, Brandon!), I recommend Nina Auerbach's Our Vampires, Ourselves - it's pre- Buffy and Twiglet, though.

OP's question; nah, I'm not much of a fan. I'm more a fan of vampires in other media. Books... quite liked, uh, Fevre Dream (one of GRRM's better efforts ^^), Lost Souls, Necroscope (very much a rotting-corpse vampire novel), Anno Dracula. Oh, and the Brucolac out of The Scar is über-cool. Didn't like the Dresden Files or Anita Blake, despised Twilight (if you're gonna write a book, start with basic English grammar, a'ight?)

The year is still young.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 1:56 pm

I went through a brief phase a few years ago where I was into the Vampire Chronicles. It was kind of a "forced" interest though, because I had just gotten over my Hellsing obsession and was desperately trying to find something else to take its place. I started looking at other vampire fiction (yes, I even tried Twilight), thinking that that was the direction I needed to go.

After a couple of years of soul-searching and trying countless movies, anime and books, I have discovered that it wasn't the vampires that made me love Hellsing - it was the dark atmosphere and the suffering of the characters that I enjoyed all along. And between the movies of Tim Burton (which has been my primary obsession for the past year and a half) as well as anime along the lines of Madoka Magica, Evangelion and Higurashi, there's plenty of darkness and angst to keep me satisfied for a long time. :twisted: