Does your taste in music isolate you?
Yes 76%  76%  [ 81 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 106

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 11:02 am

I remember it isolated me in middle school, because there I listened mostly classic music while everyone else listened whatever was hip at that time. For a time I tried listening to that too, but didn't really like it. In the end I found more modern groups that I liked, such as Coldplay, which also helped me relate more with other people. I'm still a bit eccentric with my playlists, you can find Beethoven's Ninth besides a Metallica ballad, and old songs from the eighties besides some Lady Gaga song that I liked. My friends give me some flak when they don't find the latest hits (sadly, the predominant genre around here is reggaeton, and I don't even consider most of it as being music) in my reproductor, but meh.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 6:01 pm

Nah, never been isolated by it, due to liking almost everything about music.

My most obscure band I listen to must be Ladyhawke, Manic Street Preachers and Depeche Mode...although they have been in the spotlight at one point.

I own one obscure Heart album too (Dog & Butterfly) which is in contrast to what they are famous for.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 6:56 pm

I like techno and a lot of people hate it including a lot of my friends.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 1:35 pm

Most listen to any mainstream crap, so yes. We actually have standards.

Mine isolate me in the main genre even, metal. However, the hard rock crowd seems to like ym bands in that genre.

Metal is really approached wit caution for some odd reason though...I think it is one of the most real genres out there because absolutely everything can be expressed through it, because metal lead guitar even sounds good acoustic for slower songs that are more vocal driven. I think most metal fans just want heaviness and to listen to mainstream bands like Iron Maiden.

About 10 of my bands are mainstream and most are fairly underground. So there ya have it...then there's the generation gap. Most of my music is from the early 2000s/90s. Grunge has been dead as was the 2000s alternative metal scene (not nu metal, alternative metal).

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 3:22 pm

RushKing wrote:
Whenever I say I listen to metal, the person will usually ask if I listen to some mainstream metal bands, Metallica, Dream Theater etc.

See, this is the problem. I liked both those bands BEFORE they were mainstream. Now I just can't. They're sellouts at worst, and at best they're just not that unique anymore. My music isolates me because I like it to. It's personal.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 4:13 pm

Nah, despite being quite individual my music tastes have usually stayed fairly mainstream. Not pop chart s**t, but still fairly popular music.

Wobbuffet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2012, 5:35 pm

I listen to poppy rock/pop-punk stuff like Blink, NFG, Motion City Soundtrack, etc...but everyone I know only listens to dance music or hip-hop/rap/whatever. Oh well.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 5:39 pm

Testcard music? Marching band music? Folk music? Yes, I'm pretty isolated.

VictoriaR
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2012, 6:06 pm

Yes because I don't like pop that much.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 6:50 pm

RushKing wrote:
Whenever I say I listen to metal, the person will usually ask if I listen to some mainstream metal bands, Metallica, Dream Theater etc. And I will usually say no but sometimes act like I like one to not make them feel bad. It’s not that I have a bias against mainstream metal; it’s just that many of bands I happen to like are very obscure. Sometimes I will even avoid the subject of music in a conversation, just because the chances of finding a common interest with anyone is very slim. If I said I listen to Arcturus, Urizen, Persefone etc., they wouldn’t have any idea of what I am talking about, and assume I am some sort of snob that listens to bands just because they are obscure.

Then there is the worst scenario where they are someone who stereotypes metal music; thinks its trashy bar music, smashing instruments together, or "just screaming". Then you have to awkwardly lecture them about the genre. :roll:

Does anyone else have to avoid music conversations with people? :?

Nah, I happen to like those more mainstream heavy bands. Anyways, it's more just my behavior that isolates me.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 9:17 pm

Interesting question, and the answer is yes, it most certainly does. Never really thought much about it before, but if I want to listen to most of the music I like, I end up having to do it alone because most of the people I know and am friends with don't care for a lot of it.

Wish I did know more people who did.

A big problem for me though, is that I like so many different types of music that there is always something in my collection any one person won't like. Sooner or later I'll turn everyone off with what I listen to. It kind of sucks! :?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Mictlan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2012, 6:34 pm

It does, though I've never cared about that. I listen to whatever I like, and if anyone chooses to ostracize me because of it, it is nothing to me; anyone who would be so shallow as to act like that is not worth my time anyways.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 12:43 am

Not per se, but a person who bullied me chose the fact I like music as their excuse, and the after affects of bullying are definitely something that interferes me from relating to people in a healthy way.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

01 Apr 2012, 12:48 am

I would sum up an explanation, but I'll just go with the simple answer.

Yes.

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2012, 1:09 am

when i was younger I listened to grunge on 107.7 the end in seattle and that was pretty much it. I'd sit by the radio and listen to that all day and record mixtapes off it. That was alright because lots of kids were listening to that. However as the internet became more available and faster in my home I was able to try new types of music and from that my tastes have quickly isolated me as nothing I listen to is new or on the radio. People cannot seem to familiarize themselves with my music because they cannot understand it. I listen to many genre's from all time periods I can find. I find most music on the radio to be intelectually lacking, but if I am to listen to the radio, I will listen to classical, oldies, rock, the spanish channels. or the political stations on AM.

Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Apr 2012, 12:23 pm

Yes, I listen to metal. Even with other metalheads, because the types of metal that I listen to, don't get much attention.
Doom metal, even though I can say "stuff like Black Sabbath", most people have no clue what it is. Heavy metal, while there are mainstream bands here, and i like a lot of them. I usually listen to the "epic" style of this genre like Manilla Road, Brocas Helm, and Cirith Ungol, which never really reached any sort of popularity.