Page 10 of 16 [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next

do you like Heavy metal music
Yes, 37%  37%  [ 104 ]
Yes, 42%  42%  [ 119 ]
no, 10%  10%  [ 28 ]
no, 11%  11%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 282

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 3:40 am

Thanks for your reply, and sorry to bother you - I was going off on a tangent, I should warn for when I do. :)

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 10:25 pm

Well I guess not all heavy metal is noise.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 7:30 pm

Kinme wrote:
Yes, I love it. Slipknot is awesome.

Yes they are awesome. :D

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

ICY
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2012, 3:15 pm

gemstone123 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Yes, I love it. Slipknot is awesome.

Yes they are awesome. :D

Agreed.

Regarding the mention of vocal style in previous posts, perhaps this is because the relatively mainstream metal in more recent times has included harsher vocals more frequently. In contrast the older metal in which clean singing was more common place has become more a part of the vague, over arching, rock category.

gaffa91
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2012, 4:53 pm

I don't like metal. Sounds just way too chaotic and aggresive to me. I prefer classical and jazz mostly.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 4:58 pm

I love classical music too, probably more than metal. However, I like old school death metal and funeral/doom/psychedelic doom metal and some black metal a lot too.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 5:01 pm

So I saw The Wall live...and it might as well have been a heavy metal concert.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 1:41 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUi1yf97paw[/youtube]

Love metal too. I dont listen to it exclusively and its not something I listen to regularly but there are times when my tastes are drawn toward bands like Anekdoten Meshuggah and Ufoammut. Orphaned land are pretty interesting. I discovered them years ago through Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree/No Sound/Collabs with Mikael Akerfelt) and was impressed with the mixture of eastern folk and metal. I also like their ecumenical philosophy. Their latest album has a picture of the religious symbols of islam christianity and judaism interlaced.

Necro thread haha this was one of the first results when I typed heavy metal in the search field.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2014, 6:30 am

I love metal, especially extreme metal. Most of those bands play a no-BS style of music that requires real talent to make any progress in, and I like that. Old-school death metal in particular. They don't pose in silly costumes for scene kids, they don't rap, they don't whine about their girlfriends dumping them in their lyrics, and you won't find them on the bill with Godmack and Disturbed. These bands are REAL, uncompromising, and punishing heavy metal: Immolation, Ulcerate, Dead Congregation, Vader, Grave, Asphyx and Autopsy. Even the less underground bands like Cannibal Corpse, because despite their relative success in the genre, they haven't let it go to their head. They're still out there touring and kicking as much ass they did 25 years ago. "All killer, no filler" as they say, but not without a sense of humor. That's my favorite kind of music. :)

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 8:15 pm

Is the Pope Catholic? XD I'm listening to Metallica as I write this. Heavy metal is one of mankind's greatest inventions.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 11:41 pm

I... gotta admit I've thus far not been able to get into it. I've listened to a couple bands on the more mainstream end of metal, I've listened to a few suggestions on sites like here on WP, I checked out the Big 4 of the 80s and thought they were very okay, but... I just never had that 'wow'-moment that a lot of posters here seem to have with the genre.

BTW, this is not meant as one of those 'This genre sux' posts that sometimes pop up in 'Do you love genre X' posts (curiously mostly in hip hop threads). I am, perhaps to a fault, mostly a pop music head, and I seriously draw a lot of enjoyment from the songs that are presently in the Dutch Top 40. Someone mentioned in a thread not so long ago that autistics are perhaps more inclined to appreciate metal because it's more intricate and that we appreciate the musical patterns and structure, but I've always settled for more simplistic music. :?

Always did like hard rock though. Deep Purple, Zep, GNR, yay.

maglevsky
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2014, 6:57 am

Yup. Mostly old school stuff, early 70s to mid-80s. Also some heavy bands that describe themselves as "just rock" rather than HM - e.g. ACDC, Motorhead. Stoner rock, yeah baby! Also like heaviness in other genres. BTW what's the heaviest song in the history of the universe? IMHO, PJ Harvey's "Oh my lover" has to be a prime candidate. Never heard anybody even consider her music as metal (then again that kinda makes sense because it's not a very metallic song is it, just very heavy).
Black, death, or nu-metal, not so much.

Being an over-analytical type I've often wondered why I like this stuff? Certainly not the lyrics, most of them I totally dislike and in fact make me embarrassed to admit publicly that I'm still into metal at my age (though I still sing along when I think no-one's listening!)
Ditto the whole death / destruction / depression imagery that surrounds it all, most of it just makes me cringe - but nevertheless I still like to belt out "seek and destroy" every once in a while.

So recently I've come to like instrumental metal because it comes without a lot of that baggage. Then again, add a voice like Rob Halford's to the mix and the whole thing just gets so much more exciting. I don't even care what he's singing. I don't mind that they named that one song "Genocide" (even before I found out that song is actually about something else altogether). All is forgiven for that amazing voice...

I guess it's mostly some kind of instinct driven, animalistic thing. Like chocolate is yummy even if you know it's unhealthy, and pron gives you a boner even if you're horrified at the thought of your own daughter getting snapped in some kind of, ahem, compromising situation, and you know full well that each of those ladies has got to be someone's daughter. In the same way, some riffs just make me want to nod, and nod, and nod... Proper headbanging would give me a headache these days, but back when I could and would do it, the feeling was in the same "pleasurable" category as sex - though sex was always orders of magnitude better. Ever tried headbanging while shagging?

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 7:23 am

Heavy metal fascinates me because of the sheer excess of sub-genres. I once spent months listening to all the different types of metal music and was just enthralled by how many different styles there are, even though, quite ironically, I'm really not all that big a fan of the genre as a whole.

Of what I do like, I guess I'm most fond of the NWOBHM groups. Maiden, Venom, Angel Witch, Diamondhead, etc. I gravitate more towards "classic" metal owing to my huge fandom of certain '70s hard rock bands (Blue Oyster Cult, Alice Cooper, KISS, etc.). It's easier for me to get into Maiden or Sabbath or Priest (or most power metal or symphonic metal) because they have a stronger emphasis on melody than brutality. Classic thrash and crossover is a particular sweet spot for me, as well.

I dig the psychedelic slant of stoner metal and I love the atmospherics of black metal, especially the more ambient varieties of the latter. In that regard, I'm also fond of post-metal. I'm not a big enough fan to regularly follow any of those genres, but I'd definitely put them on as background listening any time I felt like it. And, occasionally I listen to a progressive metal album every now and then among the sheer amount of prog rock albums I listen to on a yearly basis and while there are some high points here and there, it just doesn't engage me as much.

Truly, the only "metal" band I actually have any sort of longtime or hardcore attachment to is GWAR, and their best work veered more into punk than true metal. Still, I got into them when I was six years years old, and if that's not "metal", I'm not sure what is.

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2014, 1:01 am

My husband has a pretty well known black metal band where he is the sole creator (meaning the only member, its a solo project).

I like a vast variety of music which includes some metal, although I am not a metalhead per say. I especially like the early 70's metal like old school Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and Diamond Head. I also like some obscure bands like Necromancy and Fear Of God for example.

I just like what I like, good music is good music.

Last edited by LoveforLoki on 27 Nov 2014, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 1:07 am

LoveforLoki wrote:
My husband has a pretty well known black metal band where he is the sole creator (meaning the only member, its a solo project).

I like a vast variety of music which includes some metal, although I am not a metalhead per say.

I just like what I like, good music is good music.

I would not be surprised if I have heard their band/project considering I have listened to a lot of black metal...I like the atmospheric aspect. I am certainly a metalhead, but open minded to any good music no way I could just limit myself to metal.

maglevsky
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2014, 4:42 am

Are metalheads more likely to be on the spectrum than others?
Are people on the spectrum more likely to be into metal?

Anyway what's the difference between being a metalhead and being into metal?
Many moons ago, I'd been growing my hair long for a while, then the "alpha metaller" at our school asked "so are you a metalhead too now?". I cut my hair the next day just to prove that I don't belong to any herd. Regretted it afterwards. Ironically, only a couple of years earlier that same guy was still into Duran Duran and had no love at all for my Ozzy Osbourne tapes :roll:

Is headbanging a form of stimming?