Interesting piece on Tolkien and autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

minotaurheadcheese
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2012, 5:24 pm

http://www.shiftjournal.com/2012/01/23/ ... introvert/

Quote:
When I first read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings as a kid, it was just a great story, but even then when I wasn’t worried in the least about analyzing, I somehow felt Mr. Tolkien was on my side.
Now, I look to Lord of the Rings as a protest against an increasingly Loud society.

I have often felt that my autism has much to do with my fanaticism for Tolkien. As I pursue my degree in English literature, I am doubtful that many of my colleagues would consider Tolkien, as I do, as belonging in the very top echelon of writers of fiction in the English language. I agree with what this article says that there is something deeply appealing to someone with autistic traits about the world Tolkien creates and his insistence on the virtue and power of small, quiet folk against the ravages of modern society.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 5:35 pm

I love this. Thanks for posting.

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2012, 11:09 pm

cool tree =)

the hobbit>lord of the rings

and they skipped out on the shire battle in the movies =( + the woods where they met that one wierd guy

made me want to read the hobbit again...

Aelfwine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2012, 2:48 pm

Today, nobody can diagnose if Tolkien was autistic or not.
I'm not a conservative or backward oriented person like Tolkien but I'm fascinated by his works.
I think his stories have no happy ends but also not bad ends, no it is more difficult than in normal books or other fantasy literature.
I think also that some persons and races in his world seem autistic, because an maybe autistic person can only describe persons or races which also seems in some parts autistic.

I searched some conections between Tolkien and autism in the Internet.
In some Tolkienforums are also discussions were some persons are autistic and in autism forums are some discussions about Tolkien.

Thank you for the second interesting link about Tolkien on wp.
In the Internet is also a good Tolkienwiki with the name http://tolkiengateway.net.