Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 9:20 pm

I acquired a nifty kit of pastel oils today. I have never used them before, only soft pastels, charcoal, graphite, etc. To blend with these I usually use a white eraser. Has always worked well so I didn't see the need to pick up the little buggers.

I was wrong >,< So, so very wrong. Eraser sticks to the oil pastels like glue and its awful, and to get a smooth result it takes so much damn arm work that I haven't finished a single piece today and I am peeved.

SO here is the question: ANY suggestions for improvised blending sticks with household goodies? I probably won't get a ride to the craft store for a few weeks! HELP!!

DeadalusRex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2012, 10:20 pm

A Q-tip works great.

Although I do really like using an actual blending stump for dry media-- It gives you a lot more control than an eraser and you an re work the blended area as much as you want which you can't do if you use your finger because the oil from your hands gets mixed in.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 10:32 pm

Q-Tip . . thanks! I was worried the cotton would ruin it sticking to the oil pastels.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 11:13 pm

OK that did not quite work mostly because of how thick oil pastels are but I figured it out! I used the WHITE pastel stick to blend the drawing and it was easier.