Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 1 of 45 [ 716 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next

DeoxysRibonuke
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2006, 2:56 pm

I plan on becoming a film director/writer, and I am practicing now by RPing with other people on AIM (If ya wanna rp, check my signature. ^_^). I find that in this one RP that I've been doing lately with this one person, I've been focusing on character interaction and development more than I ever had before. So I believe I have broken the barrier of not knowing how people act, and I think I can continue on to my desired career! ^_^ (Even though in this RP, I've slipped an Aspie in. XD But I almost always do anyway.)

Therefore, if you would like to chat me up, you may contact me at my AIM screenname. Being a student, I canno

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

17 Nov 2006, 6:04 pm

midge wrote:
Sometimes I kind of "listen" to the characters' voices in my head, if that makes any sense, to see what a natural speech pattern for them would be like. I've read that it is a good idea to flesh out the characters on paper or in your head before even writing the story-know their interests, personality, family, quirks, etc. I think that can help with dialogue as the better you know your character, the better you can imagine the kinds of things they might say.

This is the kind of thing I do with my story as well! I could say that it's not me who's writing the story, it's the characters themselves.

To DeoxysRibonuke, I want to be a film person as well, maybe we'll meet up and co-direct a movie someday? Who knows? :)

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 11:28 am

The one thing I try to do as a writer is write about characters who are *not* me. A few characters may be somewhat like me in terms of attributes and behaviours, but I attempt to make the majority of them lack what I have and have what I lack in terms of personality. I see the main purpose of writing as being to escape from the limitations of the self.

squier
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 6:35 pm

count me in on the writing club-thingamajig...

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 7:52 pm

You know I'm in! I bet we've already got club shirts...! !

In a way
We all go there

squier
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 12:24 pm

xon wrote:
I have written some science fiction stories before, ranging from short stories to attempts at a novel. Once, I left a couple of my stories on a table in my dorm commons room to see if anyone would say something to me about them. No one did respond, so I can either believe no one read them or believe that they were terrible and those who may have read them didn't want to tell me that. Though school, work, and even my hours spent daily on WP have deterred me from starting any new writings of purely self-interest (except for one, a fictional treatise on the history of an mid-Atlantic island nation), I have considered that in the future, after I finish my computer science Bachelor's degree, I might write science fiction as a career. I would want to "test the waters" before jumping into science fiction writing, of course. One of my concerns about going into writing as a career, that is, with the intent to make money off of stories that are popular, is the fact that in most cases individuals with Asperger's Syndrome have difficulty in social interaction and, although it is by no means a requirement of social interaction that there be social interaction between or among any of the human characters, in much of the popular fiction today by such authors as John Gresham, David Brown, Nora Roberts, Stephen King, especially, and etc., it does play a very important role.

A question I have for you all is do you think that someone with Asperger's Syndrome can become a successful author even with his difficulties in social interaction, which may be reflected in his writing, especially in the dialogue?

Another question: Does anyone know of any successful writers who have or have been suspected to have Asperger's Syndrome?

EDIT: clarity

i don't know of any SUCCESFULL aspie authors, you could say ienstien, but he never really include his AS inside of his theories, i don't even think he knew he had it. but i know of one author, who has gotten a book published who has AS, but his is about having it. i think he lives in ireland, his name is Kenneth Hall, i have read his book "asperger's syndrome, the universe, and everything." i have actually written a manuscript on my AS, but i can't find anyone to publish it, i have contacted STARFISH PRESS and a few others, but they never responded. claradoon sent me here, i asked for some opinions on a poem in a topic and he gave me the link... :oops:

my book:

Ice_Man708
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2006, 4:02 pm

i am a author and i have three publishing companies loking at my stuff.
i i went indirectly through my creative writing teacher in college.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 7:31 pm

Ice_Man708 wrote:
i am a author and i have three publishing companies loking at my stuff.
i i went indirectly through my creative writing teacher in college.

Cool! Do you have anything about your stories you would like to share?

In a way
We all go there

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Nov 2006, 11:50 pm

Everybody - would you like to post some of your writings? I'm sure we'll be very gentle iwth each other. :)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Nov 2006, 11:55 pm

Here is my *huge* problem as a writer: I'm terrified of seeing my name in print. Really. It's only in recent years that I've overcome my fear of hearing my name. It was a panic attack trigger for me. I see others perk up when somebody says their name - I cringe.

Anyway, it stops me from sending out my stuff. And it stops me from even writing.

I'm in a writing group online - they say we gotta schmooze to get published. I can't schmooze, for heaven's sake, I'm face-blind!

What to do, what to do? 8O

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Nov 2006, 11:58 pm

Has anybody read "Housekeeping" by Marilynne Robinson? It was an "instant classic" in the 1980's (I think). I love it.

The author says the characters are all her. She says (paraphrasing here) that she split out the various aspects of herself and made them into characters in the book.

Come to think of it, everybody in the book is female, except for a few cameo appearances.

How do you make characters?

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 2:15 am

I make characters by basing them on an idea. Booger, for example, is mature sillyness, Aiko is based on a cute 7-year old, and Kipo is based on a mentality that's on the spectrum. All the characters have some 'purpose' and are based on something. The best one in my opinion is Koise, who I've based on myself.

If you want to see my writing, go to this thread: http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&t=18028

In a way
We all go there

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Nov 2006, 4:10 am

I like it, I like it a lot. :D You have a captivating way of telling a thing. I have to turn in now, it's 4am here, looking forward to reading all of it.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 5:28 am

*waits anxiously*

Oh, and I have a possible solution for your name problem: a pen name/pseudonym.

In a way
We all go there

squier
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 10:50 am

KBABZ wrote:
I make characters by basing them on an idea. Booger, for example, is mature sillyness, Aiko is based on a cute 7-year old, and Kipo is based on a mentality that's on the spectrum. All the characters have some 'purpose' and are based on something. The best one in my opinion is Koise, who I've based on myself.

If you want to see my writing, go to this thread: http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&t=18028

KBABZ, that story is AWSOME! send me a pm with pictures of drawings of your characters.
most of my stories have boring plots, some don't even have them. none of mine are fictional. there is one i finished just talking about how i perseive hings, and today i am starting one on when i was diagnosed, and how i delt with it. the tough parts. and what i learned. that kind of stuff( i am titling it 'behind brick walls'). I REALLY LIKE IT! as soon as i finished all of your clip posts, i went to my mom to to read to her what you read. usually, my mom hates being read to, and she prefers to read things herself, and she just couldn't stop listening.

Question: should i start posting sections of my 'behind brick walls' as i go in another topic?

my book:

squier
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 10:52 am

KBABZ wrote:

KBABZ, that story is AWSOME! send me a pm with pictures of drawings of your characters.
most of my stories have boring plots, some don't even have them. none of mine are fictional. there is one i finished just talking about how i perseive hings, and today i am starting one on when i was diagnosed, and how i delt with it. the tough parts. and what i learned. that kind of stuff( i am titling it 'behind brick walls'). I REALLY LIKE IT! as soon as i finished all of your clip posts, i went to my mom to to read to her what you read. usually, my mom hates being read to, and she prefers to read things herself, and she just couldn't stop listening.

Question: should i start posting sections of my 'behind brick walls' as i go in another topic?

my book: