Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 5 of 45 [ 716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 45  Next

starsxandxboulevards
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2007, 8:52 am

All right, it's rare for me to share writing among a group of strangers, as I'm extremely paranoid about having any of my works plagiarized. However, after seeing several comments from well-meaning posters here that share the same passion for writing as I, I couldn't help but feel compelled to showcase a little something that I've had for a while. I've written this when I was sixteen, actually (I'm now seventeen). Also, if this happens to be plagiarized, please notify me as soon as possible.

All right, so without further adieu...here it is.

Visions of Kara
- Heather Hazy -

.:* Prologue *:.

.•:*¨`*:•.:*¨`*:•. .•:*¨`*:•.•:*¨`*:•.•:*¨`*:•.

Man-eating orchids forgive no one just yet
Cut myself on angel hair and baby’s breath
Broken hymen of your highness I’m left black
Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back

:: Heart-Shaped Box ::
- Nirvana -

Kara remembered that when she first arrived into the world and escaped from the warm sanctuary of the womb, she saw the solemn faces of doctors and nurses. The quicksilver eyes of blended angels whispered the secretive embodiment of romance in a phantasm of ghostly feathers, deathless mementos that floated gently to the ground like downy snow. They stared down at her with tragically beautiful eyes, eyes that could see everything in the whole universe until the entire galaxy closes in to itself and the last star exploded into the remnants of a spinning cinder. Kara stared back at the angels with an equally somber expression, her forest-green eyes reflecting the supernatural light that glowed from theirs. Their ethereal, otherworldly eyes stared at her, melancholy drowning pools of light that magnetized her towards their depths. Her forest-green eyes stared with a silent somberness, and appeared thoughtful as well, almost as if she knew that she was fatherless to the world, fearless eyes that enraptured and projected her internal reflection out for everybody to see. Eyes that had nothing to hide. Then, her sense of self hovered above and in this place, in another time and dimension, perhaps something deep-laden in her memories through a subconscious need or desire, something that called to her, beckoned her. Her mother sprawled against a hospital bed, the profile of her bare shoulders resembling the stubs of angel wings, her hair an aureole of brown locks hovering above the white pillow in delicate wisps. The heart monitor beside her depicted crazed zigzag lines etching themselves on a digital screen as a soft, mechanical beep marks their progress. Kara could hear the cacophonous sound of heartbeats pounding in her head like something heard in a delirium, expanding, expanding until the otherworldly lights consumed her vision and the world spiraled out of control.

She wasn’t afraid, nor did she cry. Through an innate sense, Kara knew in a wordless way that she was different, and the first questions she asked the angels were ‘Why am I different?’ or ‘What is the meaning of this?’. All around, through a sense of disconnection, she sensed an electrical, underlying tension in the hospital room. Everyone thought that something was wrong, especially with her being born premature. They thought that perhaps she was a stillborn. Even though a film of afterbirth clouded her eyes, they still moved unblinkingly with vigor and life, and held a healthy fascination for everything around her. The metallic scent of the hospital lingered into her nostrils as the harsh illumination from the overhead lights above her glanced off metal surfaces at unreal angles through her dilated pupils, and the looming presence of a doctor’s face peered into her eyes, seeking to penetrate. Kara remembered that much, at least. As for the rest, she couldn’t be too sure. For some reason, she remembered seeing the angels as the first breeze swept over her bare, vulnerable body. She didn’t know how she remembered something like that with such clarity, or how she knew with perfect conviction the angels were real. All she knew was that they were there, and that was the only thing that mattered. Nobody else knew about the angels except her; it was her own secret. At first, Kara thought that the angels were normal, something that everybody else could see. However, when she told her mother about them, her face had taken an ashen-white much like bleached bone as she held Kara’s head between both hands in a steel-vice grip before murmuring in a fierce undertone that they weren’t real and they never were. Pressing even closer to her daughter’s whitened face, an eerie intensity of madness reflected in the twin mirrors of her eyes as her mother said in a clipped tone to never mention them again.

From that time on, Kara never spoke to her mother about the angels, nor did she even mention the taboo word in her mother’s presence. The prospect of angels was something that frightened her mother; for what reason, Kara didn’t know the answer. However, Kara saw the angels again when she was seven years old, their solemn, quicksilver eyes stared at her with such a sad and fierce intensity that seared through her entire being. Kara stared back at them with an equally intense expression, green oculars never straying from the celestial beings that somehow transcended into the human realm. The angels were tragically beautiful, the remnants of tainted pasts and the purest sorrow. Somehow, they reminded Kara of her mother; lovely and tragic. Their eyes spoke volumes in an empty world, and all of a sudden, everything transitioned from black and white to technicolor reality in front of her eyes, flickering like a television screen in a wavering world of profound hues that coalesced into one another like a watercolor painting, like a child crying on her mother’s shoulder and she stood disoriented, though the space between her and the angels remained still, everything around them spiraled at crazed angles until Kara lost her sense of self. Every time their presence was revealed, a gentle ache would form in Kara’s throat like a sad, lovely dream she had woken out of; she didn’t know why, but in a wordless way she couldn’t express, there was a sense of longing and heartache.

It was simple to indulge in this parallel world that Kara often experienced, slipping between the membranous barrier separating sanity from insanity. The laws of physics were suspended, a surreal landscape of psychedelic proportions. Time was meaningless, meandering in a stray pool of gravity and black holes that shifted it forwards or backwards in time, perhaps in yawning circular rings of consciousness or causing lapses between events now and then. Mirrored in a strange nexus between the worlds, Kara could sometimes drift away into this other world, vaguely noticing the world that she came from at a distant viewpoint; there, she could see everything in this perfect isolation, and she is a god drifted among the universe, perhaps seeing as the angels could see, the world miniaturized like a delicate snow globe containing everything within its confinements, the stars and planets and moons revolving together into an impressionistic smear, beautiful and ethereal. Vaguely, Kara would begin to wonder if anybody else saw what she saw. As she grew up, she came to the conclusion that perhaps those who were insane, dying, or perhaps dead, could see glimpses of this greater reality behind the veil of the world that is perceived as true. It chilled her as she came to a lucid realization of the world, especially at such a young age; she was either a sane person in a rather insane (or deluded) world, or perhaps she didn’t exist in such a world at all, and was only a mere projection from one world into the next. Kara had no explanation for it, though through an innate sense, she was convinced this revelation was true.

Meanwhile, she would watch everything else as though she stood within the eye of a tornado while everything progressed on in its continual orbit while she remained still, secluded in a weightless vacuum where the gravity of all worlds hovered above her. As inescapable as the earth revolves around the sun, new generations come forth, adapting and changing to the influence of time as Kara sees all of this from a detached viewpoint and she knows that she’ll have to go on as they do. In her dreams, in the labyrinth halls of kaleidoscope shards and hallucinatory mirrors, Kara would see the angels again, except she knew that what she wasn’t experiencing dreams, she was really crossing into the other realm, the other world, the parallel dimension that inter-connects with her known reality, yet both are unaware of the other’s existence. Kara vaguely remembered transcending both worlds at once, and the enormous gap between them awed her as a transition in consciousness took place, hovering upon a brink. What surprised her was the fact that it was as easy as letting go; almost like stepping off the parapet of a building and bracing yourself for the rollercoaster plunge into empty space. It was frightening, even after so many times of crossing over this brink. Even though she could expect the free-fall from one dimension to another, the sense of disconnection from her body still daunted her. However, in some point of time, people could cross over this void in increments, creating a series of punctures within the barrier in their wake until an opening is finally revealed, where there is lucid realization, haunting, almost omniscient in its discovery.

After all, seeing through the eyes of God or angels didn’t come without a price.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 8:35 pm

That is a brilliant prologue, starsxandxboulevards. With regard to my own attempts at writing, I am not certain if it is very good. I have attempted to write a fantasy novel, but the prologue and the first chapter seem caught up in information about the imagined world which I certainly enjoyed writing, but I am not certain how widely interesting others would find it.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 7:36 pm

I have been thinking about it.

Iruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2007, 12:32 pm

I've been writing for sometime. I've finished the first draft of a story I've been working on for five months now. I'm in between on whether or not I want to continue re-editing it to try to get it published or start a new story. All of the people I know that I lent chapters to either said "it just wasn't particularly rememberable" or "Its not my type of books". If I decide to write a new book its going to be one that I've wanted to write for awhile now. I call it "The Book of Sorrow". Its a book in which all charecters participating face only endless sorrow and misery. The kind of sorrow that most people will never experience, or even only once in their lives is present on every page. A world of endless torment and horror. The idea is that if someone read something that was that sad, it would make them feel a helluva lot better about their lives. If you want the first chapter of my story is around here somewhere on this forum...

Edit: heres a link to the first chapter. I'm in between whether or not I want to continue revising the story or just start a new one. I just finished the first draft, I like the story... But nobody else seems to. If you do read this keep in mind that someone gave me some really bad advice on writing styles and first/third person perspectives. They told me that a lot of the stuff I was doing was wrong, when in fact it was perfectly normal. This version of the chapter is a result of that bad advice.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... highlight=

artsyfreak918
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2007, 10:06 pm

I've actually been writing quite awhile too... I actually have over 500 poems stashed away in some cabinets and I've also been writing a story that's similar to The Girl With the Pearl Earring only it's not an artist but it's a muscian, they actually have a romantic affair, and it's a necklace and not an earring. Yeah everything's been going good, except I don't have a title.

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2007, 1:47 am

I need to know how to make the protagonist interact with kids, and kids interact with the protagonist.

On a planned novel of mine, "The Second Childhood", to make a long intro short,

Quote:
Protagonist buys a holoroom (a la the "holodeck" of Star Trek fame, in 2020 (just came available for sale) at a Best Buy in a city named Sariwon. He also buys plumbing and time-dilating aftermarket accessories, and has a team of technicians install it all at home.

(The "Time Dilator" will allow you to play a holo-RPG that takes months or years to complete, in a matter of hours! Maximum dilation ratio: One year inside the holoroom to One hour in the real world. Known side effect (Protagonist does NOT read that in the fine print!): Users age accordingly! (He'll find THAT out plenty of chapters later.) The "plumbing accessory" allows him to take showers, make drinks, use the restroom, et al. in the Holoroom.)

Once the holoroom comes online, he tells the computer to shape-shift him to a 5-year-old boy, resize the world around him to appear from a 5-year-old's eye-level, and alter his voice accordingly. He's not really physically shape-shifted; the computer places a kind of holo-"suit" over the user.

He chooses the city and state, who his parents are, what they look like, what his house and school looks like, and sets many more parameters for his second life onroom.

Soon after he sets the date to August 2005 and commands in an exciting tone, "COMPUTER, COMMENCE PROGRAM!" he starts his first day of Kindergarten, but he's an adult in a kid's body. When he goes to school with all that grown-up knowledge...

...how does he interact with the teachers? The kids? How do they interact with him?

(Disclaimer: The quote is not the full intro. The full intro, from the time he gets off work to when his holo-persona goes to his first day of Kindergarten, will be ~30 pages long. I may even have to split the chapter!)

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 5:31 am

Starsxandxboulevards you have blown me away! You are only 17! I think you have a rare gift. Please keep on writing. And please post the rest of your story.

How do you copyright ZM? Do you only have to put the copyright at the end of the story on the web page?

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 5:38 am

EgaoNoGenki wrote:
I need to know how to make the protagonist interact with kids, and kids interact with the protagonist.

Some authors sit in cafes, busses etc with pencil and paper, or laptop, and listen to the conversations around them. I used to listen to the kids in the playground, learning the cadence of the language and watching their interactions.

Love the outline of your story. Your protagonist is so different to the rest of his peers that you could write a stripped down text in which you avoid some of the social interactions you find hard to describe. I doubt that your characters would be robotic as the concept is so original.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

11 May 2007, 5:49 am

I think he should get a bit frustrated at the lack of intelligible speech from the kids!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

squashed
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2007, 1:28 pm

Huge book in ireland ...... "unstoppable brilliance and aspergers"........ joyce, yeats, political leaders ....

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2007, 4:35 am

I've been pondering whether the classical author John Milton was an Aspergian. Biographies say he spent his childhood almost exclusively reading books from noon until midnight, and he never got along very well with his surroundings. He did eventually get a family, but they rebelled against him, some people claim he forced his daughters to write for him while he dictated after he lost vision due to an illness, it seems he wasn't able to understand his family's feelings. He's also said to be able to recall just about anything he had read.

His greatest work was "Paradise lost", a story based on the biblical account of man's fall from paradise and Satan's rebellion. "Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven" is from this work. Some people feel he might have identified with Satan when writing the book, some of the monologues seem to be about his place in society and how he felt about life - I found this one in particular quite strong:

"Me miserable! which way shall I flie
Infinite wrauth, and infinite despaire?
Which way I flie is Hell; my self am Hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threatning to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n."

Come to think of it, I'm pretty certain he had AS, and obviously was a bit depressed too, otherwise I don't think he would be able to describe Satan's plight that well.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 9:34 pm

Thank you Fedaykin for sharing this information about John Milton. I was acquainted with some (for example dictating later works to his daughters during his blindness - didn't they read to him as well?) but not all. You may be onto something here.

Snoopy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 May 2007, 2:18 pm

Truman Capote and J.D. Salinger

Chuchulainn
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2007, 7:13 pm

Aspies can be just as good at writing (and better) than neurotypicals. My aunt is a published author with Random House. She has a friend who is a World Fantasy Award-winning author with Tor Books. I sent him my book and he praised it, said he enjoyed reading it and that "I have what it takes to be a published writer"; his suggestions had nothing to do with dialogue, emotion, or robotic speech, only technical matters of smoothing the organization of my novel (which, I admit, was quite rough). I revised it and await his response.

Take heart! Aspergers suffer no impediment to writing fiction. We *gain* verbal understanding of sentence structure and correct word usage. :D

Cyneth
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2007, 4:09 pm

The thing with me is that I almost never read fiction. It has always been very challenging keeping the different characters straight in my mind. Much easier in film or TV when you have more cues to go on. I rather read nonfiction. But part of me really wants to write fiction, and when you control the story yourself, I think that wouldn't be an issue....but I have worried about the challenge of creating dialogue and 3-dimensional personalities which I think would be quite difficult for me, but I think it is not necessarily impossible. I do have some rather exciting ideas for a story, partly deriving from one of my interests.

Chris72
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2007, 10:45 pm

My daughter is aspie, she sometimes has difficulty explaining (or I do understanding) a message she wants to get across. This seems to be a challenge for her. The thing is to know her is such a treat and I really cant wait to hear the next brilliant origional thought that comes out of her mouth. Once I understand what she means Im usaully amazed. So the challenge is not to try to create an average or normal charachter but to create charachters that you can identify with. Explaining the thought process is critical as the reader will love the intricasies of charachters that you have the unique perspective to create. You can either look at being a writer with aspergers as a handicap or as an asset.
BTW The greatest writing was never reading for the masses.