Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 12:31 pm

I'm saying let them listen to all music, not just radio disney which plays just pop. Also if you listen to Green Day especially insomniac you will hear punk and stories that are more insightful than oh he broke up with me. Much of Green Day's music is thoughtful and the last two cd's are very politically motivated. Something not seen in much of pop music except maybe Pink's anti bush song. Also to resent the oldies is to resent what created much of the non pop music today.

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 12:44 pm

I can't see much of what is wrong with pop music. The industry and the people are pretty terrible, and it is pretty terrible overall.. but pop music, as I view it, seems to be people (Americans) who have figured out every little element that makes a song and a person catchy and popular. That's it. It's not like its something that needs to be feared. People listening to this are people not interested in music, they are just affected by it whether they like it or not. And I don't think anyone care so much either. At least it is music.

And I think new music > old music, whatever significance you can tag old music with. New music is progression and innovation, if not much the slightest is important and more meaningful than what was played before you were born.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 12:45 pm

thewrll wrote:
All I was saying is that cd helps make our youth addicted to pop music. One thing that helped me not become addicted to that music was that I really only listened to oldies from the 50's and 60's till I was in 6th grade. And then I heard Green Day.

What's wrong with pop music? It's harmless.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 12:54 pm

I am not saying it's not harmless. I am just saying why is it addictive. That was my main question. It's only harmful if it's the only genre being listened to. To fully appreciate music, genres need to be explored beyond just pop or whatever your favorite genre is. The most innovative things that happened in music happened before I was born. For one the electric guitar being used in Folk music. Thrash music being one of the first really extreme genres of metal.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 1:07 pm

thewrll wrote:
I'm saying let them listen to all music, not just radio disney which plays just pop. Also if you listen to Green Day especially insomniac you will hear punk and stories that are more insightful than oh he broke up with me. Much of Green Day's music is thoughtful and the last two cd's are very politically motivated. Something not seen in much of pop music except maybe Pink's anti bush song. Also to resent the oldies is to resent what created much of the non pop music today.

They can listen to all music. 10 year old kids got iPhones now dude. They can listen to ANYTHING they want. And the only kids that listened to Radio Disney have overprotective parents in the same vein as mine who only let me listen to oldies.

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 1:15 pm

Tequila wrote:
thewrll wrote:
One other thing that helps addict our young are the Kids Bop cd's. Most of the songs they cover are pop, same with the Now cd's.

Let's ban pop music! Oh, hang on, where do they ban pop music in the world?

And I really hate pop music too. Really hate it.

don't ban pop music. The music that we should be attacking is Neo Nazi skin head music.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 1:18 pm

Laconvivencia wrote:
don't ban pop music.

I was being sarcastic.

Laconvivencia wrote:
The music that we should be attacking is Neo Nazi skin head music.

Indeed, mainly because it sounds like awful noise. That said, neo-Nazis generally aren't interested in mellifluous music I would wager.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 3:39 pm

Laconvivencia wrote:
Tequila wrote:
thewrll wrote:
One other thing that helps addict our young are the Kids Bop cd's. Most of the songs they cover are pop, same with the Now cd's.

don't ban pop music. The music that we should be attacking is Neo Nazi skin head music.

Only if it's anything manufactured......

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 6:51 pm

Kids who watch the disney channel which is a lot of kids with or without protective parents. They also listen to radio disney. So it's not just kids with overprotective parents. These are songs all their friends listen to, so they also listen. Also as I keep saying I never said pop music is harmful. And having an iphone doesn't mean that child will seek out chopin, Amon Amarth, or jd Mcpherson. Also I hope they are using android phones and sprint to listen to music. They get unlimited data on a sprint phone which is not the case if you sign a contract with apple, t-mobile, or verizon.

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 7:46 pm

thewrll wrote:
The most innovative things that happened in music happened before I was born.

Of course, it is difficult to be innovative with something that is as developed as music is. To come up with new types of music is more innovative than evolving it. However the effort may be the same with both. New music needs a lot of creativity and work to make something different and evolve it further. Which I really respect.

charles52
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2012, 9:13 pm

I dunno, this all sounds like a slight variation on what I was hearing when I was 12 years old, the Beatles came along and the sky was falling. They probably didn't use the word "addictive" back then because addiction wasn't nearly as public as it is now... but... well, if the Beatles weren't the great corruptors of youth, the Rolling Stones... well, don't get my parents STARTED on the Rolling Stones.

It's called "pop" music because everybody's trying to figure out what's going to be "popular," and, guess what, if a lot of kids are listening to a song over and over and going out and buying the MP3s... well, that's sorta the definition of popular. And ten years from now, most of these pop groups will be the forgotten one-hit wonders of our time, which is sorta the opposite of "addictive." Kids today are quite capable of losing interest in Lady Gaga or whoever. So... addictive? No. I mean, yeah, fifty years from now they'll put on that Lady Gaga CD (or whatever we have fifty years from now) and it'll bring back the same memories some of us have of Dean Martin, Elvis, the Beatles... take your pick.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 9:20 pm

Pop music is a genre. We are not talking about popular music. Scooter is popular in germany but he is not pop. Skrillex is popular but he isn't pop. I looked up four pop artists/groups and found that two of them actually write their own songs with help and two don't. One direction and Britney Spears don't write their own material. Lady Gaga and Christina Aguilera write their own songs. Good for them that write their own.

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2012, 1:36 am

What I really dislike about pop music is how someone can get so famous just by singing a song. They didn't write those lyrics or compose the backing to the song (which is usually very simplistic, another gripe of mine). Most of the time they don't even sing it correctly and will resort to having their pitch corrected by pro-tools or whatever...

Pop stars really don't deserve the limelight they get and I wish my fellow younger generation wouldn't see them as "great", as they're not. They're musically stupid (the pop stars and perhaps the younger generation.) I was shocked the other day when I heard a certain pop star calls himself an artist. I mean how are you an artist when you've just sang a bunch of lyrics wrote by someone else over a crappy baseline and ostinato drumbeat, also wrote by someone else.

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 2:02 am

LexingtonDeville wrote:
Laconvivencia wrote:
Tequila wrote:
thewrll wrote:

It does not matter if it is manufactured. People should like both manufactured and non manufactured.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 4:26 am

Laconvivencia wrote:
Tequila wrote:
thewrll wrote:

But no one listens to that except Neo Nazi skins heads, so it's not worth even mentioning.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 4:45 am

Laconvivencia wrote:
LexingtonDeville wrote:
Laconvivencia wrote:
Tequila wrote:
thewrll wrote:

It does not matter if it is manufactured. People should like both manufactured and non manufactured.

Manufactured music is just greedy record companies picking 4/5 nobodies and bleeding them dry for a quick buck. It doesn't have that timeless feel to it.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty